Books!

• -Choke-On-MY-Halo-
    4 years ago

Hey I want to stretch out my love of books and wonder what books you would like to recommend since I'm always reading romance or suspense books I love books I think more than poetry but there is a fine line :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Do you like murder mysteries?

Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series set during Egypt exploration priod (1890s - 1920s): 1st book "Crocodile on the Sandbank"

• -Choke-On-MY-Halo- replied to Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Thank you Larry :) and yes my first murder book I ever read was In Cold Blood I fell in love with the book though at times I skipped the boring bits but I love how one killer had a slight moral compass quite funny honestly not the killing but a conscious on a killer a true killer not someone protecting their family or self defense I will look at that :)

• Poet on the Piano replied to -Choke-On-MY-Halo-

I've been on a Gillian Flynn marathon lately. Have you read "Gone Girl"? I managed to avoid seeing the movie which would have given away the biggest plot twist but there's some interesting, dark turns. She writes her characters to be quite unlikable, so that can be frustrating, but it shows how nuanced EVERYONE is and it's like you try to compromise "well that person isn't that bad or morally lacking compared to that other person".

My favorite so far has been "Sharp Objects". Super dark, graphic at times and chilling. They did a HBO mini-series based on the book too which is phenomenal.

• silvershoes
    4 years ago

I liked Gone Girl a lot! Thrilling read and definitely an underrated look into the human psyche and complexity of morality. I should try another one of her books.

I’m shooting for 50 books this year. Currently on The Man Who Loved Only Numbers. Some of it is out of my reach, but I’m enjoying it thoroughly.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to silvershoes
    4 years ago

I normally shy away from biographies, but the Man Who Loved Only Numbers sounds interesting. (I had to google it.) Paul Erdos was not someone I ever heard of, but the description of the book makes him sound very real.

• Darren
    4 years ago

Just finished reading Stephen hawking's 'brief answers to the big questions'

Worth a read if you fancy something a little different.

I'm about to start George RR Martin's 'fire and blood'

• silvershoes

Darren, funny, I had a Stephen Hawking book in my hand when I decided, no, I'll read The Man Who Loved Only Numbers first. I do plan to read A Brief History of Time soon.

Larry, I would suggest this biography about Paul Erdos to anyone as it's profound (by my standards at least) and has changed the way I understand mathematics. I would especially recommend it to someone who has an analytical mind and enjoys logic. In other words, I think you'd like it a lot. Heck, if you pm me your address once more, I'll send you a copy.

4 years ago

Rats, too late. Just ordered it from Thriftbooks.

Loved Brief History. I will now get Big Answers
    Have you guys ever read Godel Escher Bach? I read it years ago and struggled about half-way through.
    Also The Dancing Wu Li Masters (though considerably dated now) was fascinating about quantum mechanics as Zen.

• Walter replied to -Choke-On-MY-Halo-
    4 years ago

I'm currently half way through a fast paced thriller called 'The Silent Patient' by Alex Michaelides which was only published this year. It's a fantastic book and I haven't been able to put it down since I started. I'll leave the Goodreads review link if you want to see what readers are so far saying about it...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40097951-the-silent-patient

• Shruti
    4 years ago

One of my favourite books is The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron (the cemetery of forgotten books series #1).
    It's a classic mystery, a gothic fiction. I personally loved it and would recommend it to everyone!

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

I’ll be happy if I could finished reading one book.
    Thanks for sharing your choices.

• silvershoes
    4 years ago

Godel Escher Bach -- not yet, Larry, though I have this book as I bought it for Kevin a couple of years ago. It's been laying next to his side of the bed, unopened. I'd like to read it someday. However, since I'm trying to blast through 50 books this year and I'm only on #24, I think longer and denser books will have to wait until 2020.

• Larry Chamberlin

LOL
    Go for murder mysteries

Easily read one every two days.

You can even be intellectual about it & select historical fiction murder mysteries:

Steven Saylor, Collapse of Roman Republic Series
    Patricia Davis, Post Cesarean Rome Series
    Tony Hillerman, Navajo Police Series
    Elizabeth Peters, Egyptian Archaeology Series

• silvershoes replied to Larry Chamberlin

What do you think of Walter Mosley? I read 2 of his books a week ago and was fascinated. Apparently he has written some excellent mystery series.

4 years ago

I haven’t read Mosely yet, although I have a used copy of Devil in A Blue Dress.
    Say, have you read that book about New Orleans yet?
    ;8-)

• nouriguess replied to Darren

I love all of Stephen Hawking's books, especially A Brief History of Time, and The Universe in a Nutshell.
    Carl Sagan's Cosmos is one of my favorites too.
    Umm, also:
    The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.
    Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli.
    The Shadow Universe of Dark Matter Life by Dan Harp.

Jane told me to read The Man Who Loved Only Numbers. But I haven't yet. But I definitely will.
    My friend told me to read Religion Without God by Ronald Dworkin. But I haven't yet, as well. But I definitely will, as well.

Actually last time I read a book just for fun was months ago (shame on me), all I'm currently reading is peer reviewed articles about pharmaceuticals, nanotechnology and voltammetry. If you're interested, I can send you the links!

• nouriguess replied to Darren

Wow, Jane. 50 books a year? That's approximately one book a week.
    Next year, I'll set this goal.

• silvershoes

Some months I’ve managed to get ahead, and some months I've fallen behind. I’m currently on catch up mode, reading book 25 of 50. I should be at book 28 by the end of the month.

Shoot Larry, point me in the direction of your book again and I can squeeze it in before my trip to Belize. Long overdue.

4 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9781718199385&i=stripbooks&linkCode=qs

Better Half

4 years ago

Ordered. Looking forward to reading it.

• silvershoes

Double post because I can’t help myself! I started your book tonight, Larry, and I can’t put it down. Already on page 200. I might not be able to sleep until I finish it. It has already made me laugh, smile, and cry. Excellent book. You’ve accomplished something special.

Noura, the 50 book challenge has been rewarding, forcing me to read rather than watch TV or play games on my phone. I haven’t watched TV in a month! I’ve just finished book #28.

• Lia Rayne

The walk series by Richard Paul Evans. There are 5 books altogether. It was my favorite series when I was younger and i plan on rereading them in the near future.

I love the bell jar by sylvia plath.

It's kind of a funny story by ned vizzini.

(I enjoy actually love books where the main character(s) have mental health issues, it is always interesting to read a perspective from different authors.)

One book i want to read very much is

In a strange room by damon galgut. (I have become interested in minimalism and nomadic lifestyles)

Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen king (the only book i like from king and one of if not my favorite book of all time).

• Ben Pickard

I'm currently reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott to my kids and Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Verne to them also. I read them both years ago but I'm thoroughly enjoying rereading them out loud.
    Last month we finished Rebecca which I have to say I found a complete rip-off of Jane Eyre and nowhere near as well written. I'd love to hear what others think of that if anyone else has read them both.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Lia Rayne

If you like quirky mental states I think you’d love
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Interesting history: Toole typed it out pre-computers & sent it to several publishers but was rejected consistently.

He committed suicide. His mom sent the manuscript to Walker Percy (one of my all time favorite authors, BTW) who read it, loved it & got it published.
    It won a Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

4 years ago

Confederacy of Dunces is a great book. Many laugh out loud moments.

• Em (marmite)

I'm half way through a book called "the doctor" by Lisa Stone

• Lost One replied to -Choke-On-MY-Halo-
    4 years ago

For fantasy lovers, "The Legend of Drizzt." Its a 40+ book series that R.A. Salvatore is still expanding.