Songs

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Thought it would be an idea to start a thread of songs people have heard recently and liked.
    I don't think Hootie & The Blowfish were ever quite as big in the UK as in the States but I heard one of their tracks recently that I'd never heard before called 'Let her cry' which is excellent.

• Milly Hayward replied to Ben Pickard

I don't really listen to music much nowadays but must have inadvertently heard Meat Loaf singing "I will do anything for love but I won't do that" because for some reason is that solitary line with the beat and music has been kicking around my head for days lol

(Years ago my mother trying to keep up with musical trends very excitedly burst into the lounge and announced
    loudly to the family that she had just heard a brilliant new singer... Called......
    Bread Loaf! of course she has been teased about this ever since but has remained a huge fan who has regularly seen him in concert and even met him).

• Brenda replied to Milly Hayward
    4 years ago

Oh my goodness Milly! I was cracking up reading that. A million years ago I was going to a concert and my mom was grabbing the tickets for us. It was Ratt and Poison. So my mom was like; "Rattpoison? Why would you want to go see a group called Rattpoison?".. I was dying! There's a new group getting some airplay on the alternative station called Dinosaur Pile Up (love the name btw). Their single is called "Always on the back foot". Super cool. Bad Flower has some new stuff out that's really good. The most I am excited for is Tool is finally releasing a new album after 13 years! It comes out on the 3oth of the month! Their first single is 10 minutes, yep 10 minutes long!
    Theres a group out of Windsor ONT called The Tea Party, their song Blackwater is really good.

• Brenda replied to Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

I don't know if you knew Ben but Hootie has done really well as a solo country artist too. The song you were talking about is an excellent song!

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Ooh, ooh, Badflower has a new one called "The Jester"- AWESOME!

• Poet on the Piano replied to Brenda

BRENDA! I am at work but had to log in quickly to say yes, love them so much! I saw them live last year, at a very small venue and only a handful of us knew their songs. I heard their hit "Ghost" on the radio and it made me emotional but I did feel less alone and to have something that raw and vulnerable in a song was a big deal. Their new album touches on some important subjects and has a lot of energy. The main singer has fought through severe social anxiety just to perform, which is incedible to think about.

Hmm, for newer songs I've been jamming to Sam Smith's "How do you sleep" and Vampire Weekend's "This life" lately.

Sweet post, Ben!

• Milly Hayward

Ben and Brenda I am sad to say I have never heard of any of those groups but I am going to go on You tube and have a listen just by their names alone they sound interesting so thank you for sharing. Milly x
    Edit...

I liked Hootie and the Blowfish, found Dinosaur pileup a little heavy for me. Loved Bad flowers Ghost and am hovering a little unsure over the Tools Pot :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

I find that when I say "I like the classics" the responses vary incredibly by the person's age. Nonetheless, I will say my current playlist is comprised for running and includes a George Harrison tune, "Any Road"

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

Lindsey Sterling.

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Yes, I've heard some of his country stuff too, Brenda - it's very good. I'll have a listen to Dinosaur Pile Up. You're right, the name is great and they deserve unrivaled success just for that!

• Ya----Na
    4 years ago

These days...
    You call it love by karoline Krüger from the movie L'Étudiante

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

Oh songs names...

Currently listening to

The Wheels on the Bus
    Itsy Bitsy Spider
    La cucaracha from Cleo and Cuquin

• Brenda replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Oh yes! I love "Ghost"! I would love to see them live. There are so many performers who really struggle socially and yet push out there, it truly is amazing how they do it. I know so many struggle with substance abuse and depression. I love the main singers voice, you can really hear his inner struggle. Have you listened to the Jester yet? Incredible!
    Sam Smith, another awesome singer. It's crazy to hear some of these real heavy rockers do slower softer ballads. Like Disturbed doing the "Sound of Silence". Cory Taylor when he does songs with Stone Sour...such an opposite of when he fronts Slip Knot.

• Brenda replied to Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Larry, I too love the classics. I really have a very eclectic musical tastes. You are just as likely to find classical to traditional country in my CD racks. I'm always open to hearing new groups, New music...There is so much out there! You can't go wrong with George Harrison!

• Brenda replied to Everlasting
    4 years ago

Love Lindsey Sterling! I love how she fuses classical with current, so cool!