Color Poetry Challenge

• Milly Hayward
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

DELAY to COMPETITION

Really sorry but unless anyone else is able to take over the competition it will need to be delayed. Due to the sudden demise of my laptop (unforeseen drowning) I no longer have the means to copy and paste the poems or comments.

This will give you plenty of extra time to write your entries :)

Milly x

This is one hundred percent inspired by a recently published poem by Hiraeth but was too good an opportunity to miss. I personally struggle with finding creative metaphors and figured this is probably a difficulty faced by everyone at some time or another. So what better way to think about colorful metaphors to use in your future poetry. Here is a challenge to try and concentrate on color based metaphors.

The rules are:
    - It can be any form or genre and subject - no more than five stanzas.
    - Concentrate on choosing one primary color (Red, yellow, blue, white and black) as a base and then creating a poem using colorful metaphors based around
    that one primary color in its many shades. For example red comes in many shades from claret to blood and yellow from sun to gold so if you chose the color red
    your poem would be filled with many different colorful metaphors.
    - The poem doesn't have to be about color just contain plenty of color based metaphors.
    - Submissions in to me by midnight Saturday 7th September for anonymous publication on Monday 9th
    - Anonymous judging Monday 9th to Saturday 14th (submissions to me)
    - Winners being published Monday 16th September.
    - Up to 2 submissions each

• Poet on the Piano replied to Milly Hayward
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Excited for this, Milly! And thanks to Mark's awesome poem for inspiration.

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

What an interesting idea! I’m looking forward to reading the poems. I’ll try to write something But as usual I can’t promise.

In the mean time, this was inspired by this thread

Oh with the primary colors
    color me black
    I’ll have all the colors in me combined

Or in the spectrum of light
    color me white
    I’ll be too colorful for anyone to even realize
    that I too have all the colors in me combined

How interesting isn’t? That depending on the spectrum from which we are talking about black/white can be categorize as color or not.

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

Hmm, how long will it be delayed?

• Milly Hayward
    4 years ago

Spoke to the repair guy on Friday he has high hopes for the restoration of my laptop but in order to keep costs down it's taking longer sourcing replacement parts. As soon as I get it back will let you know. In the meantime please do continue to write your entries and submit them so they will be ready for me to cut and paste when I get it back. Milly x

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

How’s this competition going?