Christmas Traditions

• Milly Hayward
    4 years ago

I wondered if people would be interested in sharing their Christmas and New Year traditions?

A tradition that has carried through from childhood in our family was to leave just one gift each under the Christmas tree to open just before bedtime so that there would be something to look forward to at the end of the day.

In the town where I grew up New Years Eve fancy dress is taken very seriously and almost all the adults the town turn out in the most amazing costumes. It's a great social event and for most it consists of going from pub to pub meeting and greeting everyone you know singing and generally being jolly.

• Poet on the Piano replied to Milly Hayward
    4 years ago

This is so sweet, Milly, thanks for posting and happy to see you here.

I love that idea of one present before bedtime. I think my dad's side of the family always did their gift giving on Christmas Eve, then stockings on Christmas morning. My sibling and I are about in our mid 20s and we all still do stockings in the morning, each year we'll switch and someone will be in charge of choosing the candy etc. My dad still believes in giving everyone an apple, orange, tape, useful every day things. And usually our dog will get his own stocking too.

Our family isn't big on tradition though, and especially my mom and I, we're not big on gifts or if we do something, it's more like spending time with each other or a handmade card, and that means more to us.

One tradition I think I started is ordering my dog Baxter a few presents and having it shipped to our door. He has severe food allergies so he can't have normal treats. We have his food auto-shipped because it's hard to find in stores, but I found some things online that he could have, as well as a toy he really likes (a toy pig that makes sounds). Since he's older, he hasn't been playing much with toys in the past few months, but he loves this oinking pig lol.

Happy Holidays to you all <3

• Milly Hayward replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

My friends in France tend to open their gifts Christmas eve because for them that is the evening they go to church then come back and have the huge family feast and open gifts. Their feast is much more seafood based with Lobster, Oysters etc.

I think the practical Christmas stockings are a great idea. You can never have enough tape :)

Our little dog is fifteen and has a few health issues but as a treat this Christmas we have ordered in some tins of the three bird feast from Lilys kitchen (which also includes veg and vitamins)

She and some of her animal pals have got into the habit of miraculously sending each other Christmas gifts each year so they and she do end up with a lot of toys. Her favourites are actually baby soft toys that she can suck as shes never been a chewer. :)

• nouriguess replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Aw, MarryAnne. That's very sweet. I love hearing stories about pets getting spoiled. They deserve it. I also find it so cuuute when they choose a toy over all the other toys. Baxter's favorite toy now is an elephant that has no eyes or trunk (he chewed them the first day he got the toy).

My sister bought him a sweater this christmas. He didn't like wearing it, but enjoyed sleeping on it. And he ate tons of treats, took a nice walk, barked at everyone in the neighborhood, came back home, napped all evening. So adorable.

• Poet on the Piano replied to nouriguess
    4 years ago

^ That is too precious! My Baxter says hello and sends lots of love to your Baxter <3 What a happy guy, sounds like he had the best holiday.