Weekly Contest Results, 6 January 2020

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

It seems old time members are not forgot this fresh new year. Congrats to Saerelune, Koan and Ddavidd for their outstanding poems which the judges recognized this week. Even more significant is the common theme running through these poems. Saerelune’s Work in Progress begs that she be not only SEEN by her lover but that she be allowed constant renewal of this recognition of her being; in contrast, Ddavidd’s Behind the Gates laments that he now recognizes that there naught but sham in a relationship akin to the prop-village in a play; Koan’s A Whiter Shade of Pale spins a similar, though more enigmatic theme, profoundly expressing his sorrow.

Front Page winners
    Work in Progress by Saerelune 7+10=17 points
    A Whiter Shade of Pale by Koan 10 points
    Behind the Gates by ddavidd 10 points

Honorably mentioned
    The City of Memories by Saerelune 7 points
    For Trish #4 by Koan 7 points
    Butcher by Tobias Kinti 4 points
    Paradox by Poet on the Piano 4 points
    Senryu 2020 by Colm 4 points

Work in Progress by Saerelune 10 points
    This poem this week grabbed me from the start. Get to know her, experience all she has to give. Get lost in her, something new and different and mysterious around each curve. To really know a woman you have to really experience every part of her. Live in her chaos, her essence, her healing arms wrapped around you. I love how she showed so many facets of who she is, with an invitation to come, explore, laugh with her, love her. You will be richly rewarded if you allow her to just be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Work in progress by Saerelume 7 points
    Because of the poem content, it felt very familiar,.
    The scratch card part is brilliant, and I’ll be honest it’s what hooked me to the poem. From that point, I started living each part of the poem, more like reliving parts of my life.
    The repetition of let me be, let it be, the word let in general gave a realistic touching vibe to the poem.
    The poem has the voice of someone, who had a good taste of life, and by time has realized that the simple things in life are the most meaningful. I love this poem beyond words.
    I’ll throw in one of my favorite quotes that I was reminded of after reading this.
    “Like all magnificent things, it’s very simple.”

Behind the Gates by ddavidd 10 points
    The first stanza of the poem, uncovers the scat of a love lost. Almost seems like it didnt last for too long, because of the fungus image.
    The second shows how there was love between the two, but it didnt go deep. Desperation of the poet can be felt too.
    The last stanza supports that the love didnt go deep, or perhaps only to one of them. That there were so many differences that the two couldnt contain.
    Philosophy meet a lost love, to create a beautiful very original piece.

A whiter shade of pale by Koan 10 points
    What a beautiful, visual display of artistic wording! The true elegance of this poem oozes from start to finish! Just lovely!!!!

For Trish #4 by Koan 7 points
    So much love in this piece. Trish is a lucky lady. He pours his heart into this piece for his love for his lady. There is no mistaking how he feels and as I read this I couldn't stop smiling over his declarations. We should love like this! Not luke warm, not so-so, but full out balls to the wall. Line 3 got me too. You normally have 2 different waters meeting, fresh water and salt. Pretty much the same as people. If you can accept that other person's differences as they do yours without hesitation you have some amazing love being produced. Lovely piece Alfred!

The City of Memories by Saerelune 7 points
    Looking out a window, upon a city, reflecting on life, with chin in palm, is the somber feeling I get from this very creative poem...full of detail and expression, wonderful!!!

Butcher by Tobias Kinti 4 points
    Tobias offered us a glimpse into his life and also how someone could be shaped from early childhood experience. At first I didn't realize he was writing about his dad until I got further in. His father's experiences shaped who he had become and in ways how Tobias had also. Did it help him understand his dad better? Perhaps...on the other hand it seemed to give him more questions than answers. What was this man's allure that attracted his mother to him in the first place? How could love possibly bloom from.someone who seemed so cold and brutal? He writes unflinchingly and I appreciate his candor.

Paradox. by Poet on the Piano 4 points
    The first time I read this, i found myself crying, and I’m not the type who cries easily. I connected with the poem, and it was like I have submitted to myself.
    MA was addressing someone as “you”, and for me personally it wasn’t a person she was addressing. Because when I read it with my voice, it was life.
    Genuinely, thank you for sharing!!

Senryu 2020 by Colm 4 points
    Best Senryu I've read in quite some time..the soap dust line reflects cleanliness upon sadness upon a new year perhaps...powerful!!!

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Great start to the new year, in terms of the winning poetry. Some great hms there, too. Well done, all, and happy new year.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Happy New Years all! Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writing all around. Thank you Larry for hosting and our judges for making the tough choices.

• Koan
    4 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Thank you all for reading,commenting and voting on my work!
    Congrats to all the winners and honorable mentions as well.
    Also, I like to give a big thank you for the judes and everyone who participated...

• Meena Krish replied to Koan
    4 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and thank you
    judges for your time. Thanks for hosting Sir L :)

• Star
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone ^_^

• prasanna
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners & hms. Thank you judges for all your hard work & Larry for hosting

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Congrats to all! Thank you to the one judge for their heartfelt comment <3

Thanks to our judges and to Larry, for hosting.

• Saerelune
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

It's nice to be back and still see old faces around. :) This poem in particular meant a lot to me. That same night I wasn't feeling well and wrote quite a negative poem, but at one point I got inspired to write something more uplifting whilst accepting fragility: work in progress. I had forgotten how empowering writing poetry could be and I am glad to still have a place to call home where people feel the same hope from poetry.

Thank you so much everyone who makes this website and the weekly contest possible... and congrats to my fellow winners!