Australian bush fires

• Nicko
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Thought I’d post something about the devastation caused by the bush fires in Australia. Over 8 million hectares destroyed 1000’s of homes burnt to the ground people killed and an estimated 500 - to 1 billion animals killed, some species may never recover. They estimate 30% of Australias Koala bear population has disappeared, Australia is prone to bushfires, it’s happened every year and how the bush regenerates, but what’s happening now is unprecedented. Some of these fires started back in Nov. the normal bush fire season is jan - Feb they started in areas that haven’t seen rain in over 5 years and have burnt with an intensity that means the bush will never recover in some areas
    Were these fires exacerbated buy climate change or something that’s happened in Australia’s history before records were kept ? Nobody can answer that. But for me too right climate change is to blame ! How we treat our home this world must have consequences, look around the world is in an absolute bloody mess!

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

https://www.poems-and-quotes.com/poems/1273742

• Saerelune

It's heart-breaking to see those raging orange skies in such a beautiful country. I've only lived in Australia for a few months and even then it's hard to imagine how things are looking right now compared to when I was there. People did mention the possibility of forest fires due to dry seasons, but I would've never thought it would escalate to such a drastic scale. The world still has a long way to go to fix climate change, and I think it's mostly because many countries still don't believe in its reality.

• Mark

Winds are sending forth bush fire smoke to as far as where I am, it also brings a scent of sadness.

• nouriguess
    4 years ago

So sad this is happening. I feel very bad for all those families who had to move out of their houses because of the fires, and for the poor animals who got trapped or hurt. I can't imagine how horrible that must feel. The pictures are heartbreaking. I'm frustrated that there's nothing I can do to help. :(
    Glad you're safe, Nicko.

• Meena Krish replied to nouriguess
    4 years ago

It is bad...my father, brothers are all there in Australia. I pray that this ends and
    ends soon. Thanks for posting Nicko and glad you are safe...take care