Weekly Contest Results January 13th 2020

• Meena Krish
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Good Morning Everyone! I hope you all had a good weekend. Let me first
    thank the judges for their timely votes, comments and effort...thank you! Congrats
    to the front page winners: Maher, Saerelune and Aegis and congrats to those who
    received a HM. Well done everyone!

WINNERS:

Red by Maher (17 points)

Tangerine Skies by Saerelune (17 points)

Epicenter by Aegis (14 points)

//COMMENTS//:

Tangerine Skies by Saerelune (10 points)

I have always wanted to travel to Australia, for its nature and endemic species.
    A fascinating place on earth.
    The title is Brilliant “Tangerine Skies” orange and sour sky, what a unique expression.
    Followed by a beautiful opening;” tangerine dream “. The images through out the poem
    are all great and captured the essence of it so well!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tangerine Skies by Saerelune (7 points)

Saerelune paints such a lush beautiful picture of her beloved Australia. This is her
    happy place, her place to find inner peace, to be able to write and paint. Now with
    the fires destroying the country she so loves she is starting to question if she too played
    a part in the environmental meltdown. Did she visit too much? Take too much as she
    explored the country? There is a lot of thought with this piece. It saddens me, her poem
    showed me the deep love she has for Australia and her angst over her part she may
    have played.
    -----------------------------------------

Red by Maher (7 points)

This writer is sitting within a tragedy, writing his heart onto paper with fear
    and devastation around him and is able to create a beautiful and heart gripping
    poem. How could anyone begin to understand what all of the precious human beings
    and animals are going through in Australia. Read this poem, its beautifully written
    and captures a glimpse of what is happening at this moment. I wish for rain, more rain
    and then some more. This poem is touching and saddening.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Red by Maher (10 points)

The wild fires in Australia have been devastating to the entire country. So much
    loss of both property and life, it's heartbreaking to see and I can only imagine living
    in the midst of this. Maher has brought a visual story to the horrors of fire, death and
    government officials that are turning a blind eye to the plight of their people. Natural
    disasters can bring out both the best and worst in people. Maher has definitely and
    eloquently given us both. My prayers and thoughts are with all the people of Australia.
    Bring on the rain!
    -----------------------------------------------

Epicenter by Aegis (4 points)

“There’s earthquakes between my
    eyes”
    ^
    This immediately made me think of a migraine. And how you try to fight it off, but
    instead of you knocking it out, it knocks you down.
    My personal interpretation for this, that “you”, isn’t a person and not a society. It’s
    more like the ideology, standards, norms, beliefs, principles or what people stand for.
    That one try to stay away from, but still brought into without their will and consent
    and fall deep in it.
    Very impactful poem for sure!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Epicenter by Aegis (10 points)

Aegis has the powerful ability to captivate the reader within just a few lines, adding a
    message so powerful, each time you read it you get several messages into one. Love this
    poem! It sends a message of stubbornness, pride, sorrow and frustration mixed with a
    powerful metaphor of earthquakes.. wonderful!!

HM”s:

Homesick by Kate (4 points)

Ode to Great Power by Rania Moallem (4 points)

Brainchild by Maple Tree (7 points)

//COMMENTS//:

Brainchild by Maple Tree (7 points)

This poem feel rigid, if that makes sense. The dark side of a person, whether it is
    depression, a real bad past or anything else is somewhere within us. Like peddles
    trickling down within us “sorrowful waterfall”. Bruising us. They even accumulate
    and form walls. It’s like we are imprisoning ourselves, within ourselves. And then
    the beautiful ending, that’s almost frees you, but still brings you back to where
    you started and you again.
    A really moving piece, filled with worn out emotions.
    But I see hope and a fighting spirit in this!!!
    ------------------------------------------------

Ode to Great Power by Rania Moallem (4 points)

Wow! This is some powerful stuff! Rania has unflinchingly touched on all the world's
    powers and how their egos have made decisions that effect others without much care of
    what they are doing to the same people they are supposedly "saving". Why does one person's thought process carry so much weight? Why is one way better than anyone else's? Our
    world is on the verge of collapse, too many egos playing with people's lives and is
    anyone listening? When is some one going to start listening? Well done with this Rania!
    -----------------------------------------------

Homesick by Kate (4 points)

Kate captivated me this week with her fresh and beautiful visual display of word
    usage. What a gorgeous poem. Comforting, soothing, pretty and tasteful piece.. love!!

• Star
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone ^_^ Really great poetry this week!!!

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Good work, judges and thanks! Thanks to Meena for hosting.

Congrats to the front page winners and the honorably mentioned.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all :)
    Congratulations to all front page poets and HMs awarded.

thank you to all the judges for their time and effort each week.

thank you to Scott for nominating my poem.

Much love, M x

• prasanna
    4 years ago

Thank you Meena for hosting. Congrats to all the winners and those who picked up a HM! Solid showing this week :)

• ddavidd
    4 years ago

Congratulation and thanks all around.

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

I have to say, I love Maher's 'Red' and was thrilled to see it up there this week. Two other great pieces sit snugly alongside, too.
    Well done and thank you as always to the judges for their time and effort.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Solid writing all around. Thank you Meena for hosting and our judges for doing the voodoo that you do...

• Koan
    4 years ago

Hey guys!
    Some great poems this week, congrats to all of you!