Weekly Contest Winners - March 9, 2020!

• PnQ Mod Account
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Hello! This week we have rhymes in each of the three poems highlighted on the front page! I want to give a special shout out to Tony, his second win since joining the site six months ago, and eezebard, his first win after it being a decade since he shared poetry on here. Hope to see more poetry from the both of you!

Ben's piece this week is not only one of grieving, but one of contemplation. The pain that remains when someone leaves this earth, our hope to meet them again. Their memory still seems so tangible. Next, we have Tony's piece, pulling such deep meaning from dead men and butterflies, the silence they both make, the breadth of eternity. Last but certainly not least, eezebard pens a lovely, dream-like poem that is illuminating and heart-warming. What beautiful imagery in this!

Congrats to all winners & HMs! Many thanks to our judges for their time and dedication. Have a great week, everyone :)
    - MA

"Dead Men and Butterflies" by: Tony Grannel

"A soft yet sad write. The contrast and parallels shown between dead men and butterflies is a powerful sight, one that really puts emphasis on just how delicate life is." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Tony's piece this week spoke of the dead, buried deep, silently returning to the earth. Also of butterflies, ever fragile, fliting about, silent in their pursuits. How much these two have in common, oddly enough, one alive, one very dead. This piece had lovely rhyming and a peacefulness to it. I took solace in the words, well done." (4)

"Blue Eyes Dreaming" by eezebard

"What a lovely poem! Beautifully rhymed and flowed like water. In his dreams he meets an angel, an Irish lass, so beautiful he is rendered speechless. His descriptive of her are pure joy and just added to the beauty of this piece. I thoroughly enjoyed this from the beginning to the end." (10)

"On Leaving" by: Ben Pickard

"The pain in this poem is palpable. It's a touching write that makes one question their own mortality, the influence they have had on others through life, and want to hold loved ones closely." (10)

HM's:

"You at the break of day" by: nourayasmine

"What an opening! I could see it and feel it.

“Daylight is
    touchable when fingers
    are cold enough”
    ^^
    The description was already surreal, and then after this part a mood was clearly set for the poem. I could feel the yearning and the pain. With every letter sadness was building up.
    This is truly an amazing piece, full of beautiful imagery." (10)

"The Monster In Me" by: Lemon Squeezy

"Jon writes of a man who has been condemned to die for the crimes he's done. He has spent a long time rotting in prison and reflecting on his deeds. When the time has come for him to die he reminds the taunting crowd that there are more than a few who deserve to be up there with him. So don't be so quick to judge another, you aren't perfect either. I really liked the lesson in this and he wrote it very well and the rhyming was spot on." (7)

"Unexpected Tears" by: Maher

"What a sad piece!! When every part of the day becomes a reminder of people we lost, going through that day is painful itself. We can tell how much Maher cares about his friend and how supportive he is, she definitely does too. The poem is so precious." (7)

"Go Tell the Greek" by: Tony Granell

"This was a fun and a great read. I was hooked from the beginning to end, though I normally get lost half way through when it comes to long poems. The rhythm and rhyme here, give the poem a beautiful character. I am now in the look out for new poetry from Tony Garnell." (4)

"Sharp Old Songs" by: cantchangeme

"As we grow older, there's a certain comfort in knowing that life is temporary, to come to terms with our own mortality and to make the best of what we can. While this poem ends on a bittersweet note, it was still thought provoking." (4)

• Star
    4 years ago

Congratulations everyone really beautiful poetry this week ^_^
    Thank you MA for posting :)

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! So many wonderful pieces! Mary Anne thank you for hosting and our judges for judging...happy writing everyone!

• Maher
    4 years ago

Thanks MA and congrats to all :)

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Thank you so much to the judges for their continued time and their thoughts. It doesn't go unnoticed. A hearty congratulations to my fellow winners and all those mentioned and nominated.

• prasanna
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners and those who picked up a HM. Thank you judges for hard work, and thank you MA for hosting!

• Meena Krish replied to prasanna
    4 years ago

Congrats to all the winners,
    Thank you judges and MA for hosting

• Milly Hayward
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Congratulations to this weeks winners and HMs. Lot of really excellent poems nominated this week so a difficult choice. Huge thanks to the judges volunteer their time to make this competition possible and to MA for collating