Lebanon

• Em
    3 years ago

Thinking of anyone who lives there or has family over there.

God bless

Em

• nouriguess
    3 years ago

Rania, Abed, and any other Lebanese on PnQ:

I'm incredibly sorry for what happened, for the cruelty we are forced to witness. No words will describe how heartbroken and shocked I felt while I was watching the video of the explosion. Hundreds of lives were lost. Very hard to watch.

Abed, I'm thankful you live in Canada. I hope none of your family members or friends got injured.
    Rania, please tell me you're okay and intact.

• Star replied to Em
    3 years ago

The number of people killed and wounded keeps increasing, it’s really devastating.
    I am and will keep praying for Lebanon <3
    My heart goes to the people!

• Abed replied to Em
    3 years ago

I left 2 years ago, but my family is there and felt the explosion just 40 kms away. Beirut was devastated. My friends lived one of the worst nights in their lives. Everyone there lost a loved one, a relative, or a friend, or at least knew someone who did (135 deaths until now). We don't know exactly what caused the explosion of the 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate, whether negligence or a drone attack; people at the moment are still in shock and do not care about the facts. I left the country because of corruption, and I always tried not to look back, to just embark on a new chapter. But I just couldn't ignore what happened, the pictures, the videos, the updates from my family and friends on Whatsapp. It felt as if part of me was still there, unwilling to move on, and I cannot function or work properly. Deep inside is just sadness and rage, a lot of it.

• nouriguess
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Also, there is something I wanted to say.

Many Syrians are not showing sympathy to the Lebanese people, posting and tweeting "they deserve it, they hate us blah blah". I just want to apologize on their behalf, and tell you that's not how we feel. Maybe 10 years of war were enough to numb their feelings, to turn them into resentful emotionless people. They have been victims too. Ignorant victims but also innocent. No creature should be killed, injured, terrorized. I sympathize with all the victims, all the innocent people around the world, even if their government policy is against us. I would donate blood like I always do if I could. That's usually the only thing I can do. But now I can't even do that. It hurts me to know that I can't help.

Also, please be careful of radioactivity. The mushroom shape of the smoke indicates radioactivity, and I'm certain about that, no matter how much the media tries to deny it. Take iodine pills, close the windows, protect your face and skin. Wear a filtering mask if possible. Don't leave your house if possible.

It wasn't a nuclear bomb, yes. But ammonium nitrate under high pressure and heat is deconstructed into free radicals that are radioactive and pretty dangerous (lethal if exposed for a long time, carcinogenic if exposed for hours). I could explain scientifically exactly how the explosion could lead to nuclear activity, if ya want.

• Abed

Thank you Noura, Star, and Em. My family is alright. If I'm not mistaken Rania used to live in Beirut. She must have been directly affected, and I hope that she is safe and sound!

• Star replied to Abed

Oh god, I really hope she and her loved ones are safe and the impact on them isn’t real bad.

• Sunshine
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone. Glad your family is safe Abed <3

Unfortunately many of us lost someone they know and/or got a family member at least slightly injured. We are safe but we lost a vital part of the city. The damage is unfathomable. Nothing much to say..thank you for your concern, all of you.

• Hellon
    3 years ago

NANNA!!!!! I'm so glad to hear that you and Abed are safe. My heart missed a huge beat when I read the news yesterday. The city is in a shocking state...is there anything you need to be sent? Abed, Never knew you had relocated but, you will be safe...hope your family gets through this horrible crisis.

• Em
    3 years ago

I'm so glad you're safe but many others are not. I pray for them..

• Larry Chamberlin

All of us feel the misery of Beirut. The immediate damage is exacerbated by the destruction of 85% of the food grain stored in the affected silos. There are multiple aid campaigns going on and please contribute, but vet your charity! As with all human events there are vultures who seek to profit from the anguish and the empathy it engenders. Make certain your contributions are safe and actually going to the aid of the people. a few you can investigate might be:

https://www.redcross.org/content/redcross.html

http://www.redcross.org.lb/index.aspx?pageid=907

https://insight.wfp.org/world-food-programme-to-scale-up-in-lebanon-as-blast-destroys-beiruts-port-7270471d1f87

https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/beirut-emergency-appeal?c_name=Beirut%20Emergency%20Appeal&c_source=Homepage%20Herobox&c_medium=Internal&c_creative=Donate%20Landing_Homepage%20ambulance%20image&c_code=170458&adg=BRC%20Site

• silvershoes

This is such a needless tragedy. My heart breaks for Lebanon and all the lives affected.

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Abed, I'm so relieved you're safe, I had no idea either you had moved but my hearts breaks for your family, friends, and all those affected. Rania, all the love and support to you. I cannot imagine this kind of loss, nor the devastation.

Larry, thanks for posting links.

Please feel free to share any other ways we can help.

• Abed
    3 years ago

Thank you all, lovely people.

Glad you're safe, Rania!

As for what can be done, Larry has posted some links to donate if one would like. The Lebanese Red Cross is a perfect and safe option.