Weekly Contest Winners - January 8, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

January 11* sorry <3
    ------------------------

Hello, hope everyone is doing great!

The poems this week are sincerely mind blowing. Thank you to the judges for their time and effort, and everyone else for sharing your work with us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Front Page Poems

White supremacy by Poet on the Piano - (30 points)

It's a rare rhyming poem from MA. It is current and extremely cutting. What's not to like? The inherent sad truth that permeates the whole of this piece perhaps. The events televised around the world were just a culmination of the unfairness, discrimination and inequalities that have run riot throughout America's history. I am not American, but my country has done equally sordid things so I can speak freely. What does being proud mean exactly when acts like this by a largely white group will not just go largely unpunished, but are actively encouraged by the sitting president? MA is never afraid to speak her mind, and like it or not, there is not a word in this poem that any sane person cannot agree with. (10)

~~~~~~~~~~

Personally I like a topical poem and this political write still has the ‘wet paint’ sign swinging from it. Whether one agrees or not, it is difficult not to become immersed in its emotion. Influential figures should know better, but perhaps they are just the product of a flawed system? (10)

~~~~~~~~~

100%, this poem has such a message for what is going on in America-
    One of the most powerful, political poems to date and with a very creative
    and flowing rhyme pattern as well, truly loved this poem from start to finish. (10)

a self-destructive ghost of a woman by nourayasmine( 14 points)

From the superb visuals to the relatable fact that we are, as Robert Palmer says, addicted to love, I do like/agree with this poem. This writer is able to express herself in ways that make you pause and think. Isn’t that after all what poetry is supposed to do. The end, for me, although sad, depicts a self-deprecating mind that is in turmoil – always addicted to the flame! (7)

~~~~~~~~~

The title alone, leaves me breathless.
    This poem has elegant wording and each line is powerful.

Intertwining nature, with poetry and yet sadness of not being worthy
    or enough is just a powerful and elegant style that makes this poem so unique and beautiful!! (7)

Flames by Baby Rainbow - (7 points)

Saffie has long been absent from the site which is a shame because it needs her and people like her: active members who post, comment and prompt. She returns here with an inspirational piece about surviving a sinister ordeal - both physical and mental, perhaps - that someone has put her through. But not just surviving - being all the stronger because of it. Now that's strength and something we can all cling on to when times are hard or we are suffering something as dreadful as this poem alludes to.

******************************HM's

Spellbound by Lost star - (4 points)

Lovely, sensual piece of poetry here about a "literary siren" who, with poetry, drives the writer "to the point of madness" and awakens what was thought "dead or at least dormant". I would imagine this siren knows more of what she is doing than the poem suggest. They all do, you know...

The Orange Flashing Light by CJ Maleney (4 points)

We see them everywhere and pay little attention to them. Orange flashing lights are there to alert you to a potential danger. We don’t necessarily think about the importance of them on vehicles, but this poem demonstrates that often the work is vital and can affect us, so let’s make room for them, they may well be helping someone you know!

Crows' Nest by Ben Pickard (4 points)

I felt like I was on the sea while reading.

Elegant, sorrowful and full of emotion. Just beautiful!

• Star replied to PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago

Congrats everyone!!! really great poetry this week.

THank you for posting, and judges for your time :)
    Also I'm happy to see more judges!

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Thanks for hosting...
    Thanks to our judges :)
    And congratulations to our 3 winners and 3 HM's

• Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Congrats to the winners and Honorably Mentioned (Nice to HAVE HM's!). MA's poem is absolutely epic!

Thanks for hosting, Sunshine, and thanks to the three (3) judges!

• Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

Congratulations, everyone! And thank you to the judges and host!

• CJ Maleney
    3 years ago

Gonna start by saying sorry!

I've not been around much over the last year or so, mainly due to work life balance. I do drop a poem/rhyme on site every now and then but I really don't write much anymore. My down time is mostly spent sleeping or on the fells with my dogs when time allows (also building my own canoe for a charity fund raiser).

That someone deemed my poem worthy of a vote is rather humbling especially when I've had a little time to read the works of the other nominees.

The quality,scope and effort each poet puts in is not lost on me and it makes me feel guilty for not being more active on site. Even my daughter has more input on here than I in recent times.

To all winners, HM's and every single one of you who writes/floats your thoughts and feelings out there for the entire world to see!

I salute you.

Judges and mods you know you have my ultimate respect.

Regards one and all

Craig

Ps I may be absent at times but be assured as far as poetry goes this is home for me and you won't find me anywhere else.

• Baby Rainbow
    3 years ago

Wow, thank you so much , I was not expecting that at all.

I must admit I only came back to upload the poems I found, but I truly have missed this place and have enjoyed reading poetry again!

Congratulations to the winners - I am excited to be spending more time here!

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Firstly, Saffie and Craig - great to see you both back on site and mentioned on these pages for your wonderful words.
    Secondly, thank you so much to the judges and to the judge for giving my poem their four points and taking the time to comment.
    Thirdly, I hope all is well with every one on this site and with those they love.

Ben

• Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Many thanks to the judges, and congrats to Saffie, Noura and the HM's! And thank you to Rania, for hosting :)

• Meena Krish replied to Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Congrats to all the winners and thank you judges for your time. Thank you for hosting Raina...