Weekly Contest Winners - January 25, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Hi, everyone! Can't believe we're nearing the end of January. Keira's formed poem takes the front page, a poem that sweeps one to the ocean where nature rules and gives us the opportunity to set our troubles aside. Next, Cast Out Angel pens an emotionally honest poem about the weight of living, surviving, and everything in between. And last but not least, Skyfire's rhymed poem speaks of the relatable way we can put our guard up, and keep our heart barricaded from others to protect ourselves. Lots of depth this week. Congrats to the winners & HM's!

Many thanks to our two wonderful judges for their time. Hope everyone has a great start to their week!
    -MA

WINNERS:

"Gone With The Tide (reverse etheree) by: Keira Pickard

"Elegance, true elegance within the beauty of natures ocean scene. This Reversed Etheree was beautifully crafted by our young Keira and her talent oozes within this poem. Just lovely!!" (10)

"Chasing Life" by: Cast Out Angel

“do not ask me to live” If you haven’t read this poem, I recommend that you do. Read it out loud and hear the power of its words! I heard a person in the “healing profession” or perhaps written about them. Either way, the voice is full of experience, “Reasons came, like inhalations of light, but after, in the ending hours, the darkness slunk back in. Each time darker each time deeper, as with it exhaustion grew.” Generosity, “I worked through myself, and then taught what I knew, stoking the sparks of purpose forward.” And sad wisdom, “A healer not needed is a healer lost, and I am lost, again. Do not ask me to live. This poem oozes raw emotion. You can hear the pleading, see the emptiness and though part of you may want her to live, the argument made is so palpable that the dropping of curtain is almost within grasp. This excellent poem moved me, and feeds into the reality we all share today." (10)

3rd place tie chosen by site
    "Shut away" by: Skyfire

"A very powerful expression of sadness and loneliness.

We tend to lock away our heart, to protect and the box tends to stay hidden for protection. This poem is beautiful and sorrowful." (7)

HM's:

My Redemption ( Collab with Star ) by Everlasting

"I do like a topical poem (November 2020) and this one has two special voices. Writing a collaboration is not always easy, as it requires good communication and an agreed idea and ability to see this through. The BBC news item about a rediscovered, very rare pinkish-flower, called ‘grass-poly’, previously lost for more than a century. “The mystery species "came back from the dead" after seeds submerged in the mud were disturbed during work to restore the pond.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55104153

The poem uses this rare beauty as a metaphor for life “I wasn't looking for something, until I found gardens of you; an unusual plant with roots buried under layers of mud.” The realisation that we have much more potential, sometimes, just waiting to blossom. The poem’s voice recognises a future set against the stark reality that we all need help from time to time. The poem works on different levels, which is nothing less than I would expect by these two, unearthed, creative minds. " (7)

"Jamie died in the closet" by: BirdWings

"The title in itself is a statement all on its own, and then when you read the poem it blows you away. To become your true self is the strongest, most powerful accomplishment alive, it takes courage and truth. It can bring so much sorrow and yet joy to finally be who you were born to be. I applaud this author for this beautiful and expressiveness piece." (4)

"Passion and Pride" by: CJ Maleney

"Reading this poem was like hearing the echoes of my own thoughts. Passion ebbing away, feeling unfocused, like Craig says, “I simply stopped just feeling free”. We get to a stage in life where we suddenly stop and realise that there is more behind than there is now in front of us. Craig’s solution is to fulfill a goal and to build his own boat. He may be out of his depths, “I'm not a boat builder or engineer.” But he’s living again and once more has wind in his sails, so to speak. This poem is inspiring and is a reminder that we can either, moan and do nothing, or get up and do something. Hats off to Craig and best of luck on his continuing voyage of unsinkable, self-discovery!" (4)

• Star
    3 years ago

Thank you for your sweet words, Judge!! Congrats everyone ^_^

Also thanks MA and both judges for your time, very much appreciated :)

• Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

Thank you to the judges and MA! Congratulations, everyone!

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writing all around! Thank you to our judges for their time and making those tough choices. Thank you Mary Anne for hosting. Happy writing everyone!

• chandelier
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners and HMs! What a wonderful week of poetry.

• Everlasting
    3 years ago

Thank you! And congrats winners

• Meena Krish
    3 years ago

Congrats Winners
    Thank you judges and thanks to MA for hosting

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Well done to the three winners and those who picked up an hm. Thank you to both judges for their time.

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Thank you to MA for hosting this week. Congratulations to our 3 winners and those picking up HM's and a big fat round of applause to both judges. :)

• prasanna
    3 years ago

Thank you MA for hosting. Congrats to the winners and those who picked up a HM!