Ignorance is a Bliss!

• Everlasting
    3 years ago

So, how true is that?

• Poet on the Piano replied to Everlasting
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

It's 2 AM here and my eyes hurt from staring at the screen too long lol so I'll quickly say I think there's some truth to it, but I see ignorance as a temporary, misguided bliss that has the potential to do more damage than good. Politically, especially. There's a lot of well-intentioned people in my life who seem to refuse to educate themselves, who grow visibly weary when they're presented with the opportunity to learn, like in regard to what's currently going on in the world (what has been going on for a long time) and why it matters. Not that any of us can be cognizant of world affairs 24/7, it's more that they are content in their own perspective instead of challenging viewpoints and any harmful ideas. Some people may be fine living like that for awhile, but it doesn't settle right with me. Because challenging ignorance is about taking accountability. You have to face uncomfortable topics and open yourself up to discussion and change. It's humbling, and necessary. I'd say there are varying degrees of ignorance though, and that not all of it is malicious or set out to harm others. Context often matters. A person can be naive and ignorant because they never debated or had a reason to question their previously held notions vs actual truths, or even how they grew up could factor into it. It certainly doesn't excuse someone's ignorance, but can help explain it. If someone has the time, ability and resources to learn more and grow from it, I'm all for it.

• Keira Pickard replied to Everlasting
    3 years ago

It depends. Usually for me, ignorance does feel like bliss when it's there! It's better to not know/realize some of the worse parts of life, though it makes it harder to let go of ignorance when you find out/ hear about those things.
    I suppose sometimes it is best to know about certain aspects of life, so that you never feel let down, shocked, upset, disappointed, etc. Personally, that means neither way is easy!
    So... yes, I think that the phrase ' ignorance is bliss' shouldn't be applied to all circumstances, as it can be the the exact opposite sometimes.
    Interesting thread, by the way!

• Obscure
    3 years ago

It seems to me that ignorance is often short-term bliss, if it is bliss at all.

• Fray Bluestorm replied to Keira Pickard

Yes, I completely agree, Keira! Personally, it is one of the more controversial sayings for me, as I feel that no matter how blissful it is to be away from the world, there's always going to be that daunting though of "well what if they're saying something about me?" and that makes stress rise, and you begin to wonder: is ignorance as bliss as they say?

• Star replied to Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Very well said MA!!

• Everlasting replied to Poet on the Piano
    3 years ago

Those are good points. I agree to disagree with some of what you said specially with this:

“ but I see ignorance as a temporary, misguided bliss that has the potential to do more damage than good. “

A long time ago, I came to the conclusion that ignorance is forever. No matter how much one tries to be less ignorant, one will always remain ignorant. It’s sad. I still cannot fully connect the dots but I don’t think ignorance is bliss. If anything, I think innocence is bliss.

Now, what’s troubling my mind is trying to find the connection between innocence and ignorance.

You see, this is my thought process. we all are ignorants. Many people are offended when they are told that. But we are ignorants. We do not know anything for sure. Sure, some may know more about certain topics because they have studied but they still don’t know everything in their field. They are a bit less ignorant. However, they are ignorant in other fields.
    Their ignorance is not temporary is long lasting as a whole. They can strive to be less ignorant each and every day, and I hope they do, but they will be ignorant still. Albeit, less ignorant than others but ignorants regardless.

So, I agree. One’s ignorance can be temporary as soon as one begins learning about a topic, but overall, Ignorance as a whole goes on forever because there is so much out there that we do not know about, and that, even if we do know about, that, that we do know, undergoes changes. Everything changes. For instance, someone comes and leaves a plant in a vase in your table. You don’t know anything about it. You see it everyday. Not long has pass and the plant is dead. Turns out, you enjoyed seeing the plant in the table. But now the plant is dead. So, out of ignorance you go and buy another plant. You place it in the same table. Not long has passed and the plant is dead again. You do the same. You go and buy another one. And the same happens. You begin to believe that that’s how it is. The plant just lives one or two or three days or may be a little bit more but not long. You are okay with that. Until, someone asks you if you could water their plants because they are going out of town for a few days. Water the plants?

You start wondering what happened to the plants you bought? So you start asking questions and people tell you a plant needs water and sun. So now, you go and buy another plant. Now you know this plant needs water and sun. So, you place the vase where the Plant can receive sun. You water it every day. You see the plant growing and looking beautiful. But then it withers, you start paying attention and there’s no dirt in the vase. All that’s left is the roots of the plant. The plant needs more nutrients. But it’s too late. The plant dried up to the point that it cannot be saved. You didn’t know that. You only knew the plant needed sun and water. You had bliss for the amount of time you saw the plant flourish but it was temporary... in this case, knowing what made the plant flourish gave bliss, temporary, not knowing being ignorant that the plant would need more dirt nutrients created pain because the plant died and you didn’t know why. You thought you were doing everything right. On the other hand, the thought of “if only I had known, I would have saved the plant”, creates pain but the pain can be temporary, because this time you are ready to take care of other plant and hopefully this time it’s life span will be longer because you already know the plant needs sun, water and more nutrients as it grows. Though, the pain may linger as a reminder.

So, overall, being ignorant that the plant needs water and sun and more nutrients, gave some satisfaction because it was easier to just go and buy another plant. However, taking care of the plant and seeing it flourish gave bliss if only for a short period of time. So, to me bliss is temporary.

Although,

“but I see ignorance as a temporary, misguided bliss that has the potential to do more damage than good. “

I’m starting to like your words. I can see it in another direction after having written my rambles.

• Everlasting replied to Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

“think that the phrase ' ignorance is bliss' shouldn't be applied to all circumstances,”

You might be right. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Could you share another example of when the phrase could be use?

• Everlasting replied to Fray Bluestorm

“Personally, it is one of the more controversial sayings for me, as I feel that no matter how blissful it is to be away from the world, there's always going to be that daunting though of "well what if they're saying something about me?" and that makes stress rise, and you begin to wonder: is ignorance as bliss as they say?”

Fray, well, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. In my opinion, it can be good to know what some people are saying even if they say “that lady is cuckoo”. However, I don’t think is healthy to stress about it. I’ve been told several times to take things with a grain of salt. To my advantage, I like salty food. Lol anyways, the attitude we take based on what we know can determine how our life’s we’ll be. So knowing what to do with what we know, can be good or bad. Depends on our attitudes, I guess.

Also, fray, what if they are saying something about you?

• Everlasting replied to Obscure
    3 years ago

Interesting, can you elaborate on that?

3 years ago

When something goes wrong. I think, perhaps, I'd prefer to not know for a while. For example, if something happened in the middle of the night that would seriously affect me for a long time, I'd rather not know until the following morning, and maintain the ' blissful ignorance' for just a little while. Personally, if it would be something that would hurt/ upset/ confuse etc me for ages, then I'd rather not know and be happy for a while before that time.

• Fray Bluestorm replied to Everlasting
    3 years ago

Well if they are saying something about you, that is when you begin to think whether or not it would do you any good to intervene or whether to let the people get it out of their systems. Because if you do intervene, then does that make you almost as bad as them? It is one of those things where you can never be 100% sure of whether or not you're doing the right thing.

• Keira Pickard replied to Fray Bluestorm
    3 years ago

Well said, Fray!

• Milly Hayward

I've always felt that the meaning behind the saying 'Ignorance is bliss is meant to describe the situations where other people observe that life changing trouble is coming to someone but decide it's best not to tell them until they have to find out for themselves because it's better for them to be blissfully unaware of it for as long as possible because when the poo hits the fan life will never be the same again for them.

For example Neighbours knowing someone's husband is philandering but also that he treats his wife so well that she's oblivious and very happy but knowing her well enough to know that when she eventually finds out she would be totally devastated and her whole world broken. So they decide she's better off not knowing for as long as possible and might comment to each other that ignorance is bliss and decide not say anything to her about what's going on

Or if someone had adopted a child and wanted them to have a loving home. They know the child at some point would need to be told he or she is adopted but might want to wait as long as possible before telling them because they'd want the child to grow up feeling loved and part of the family. They might worry that the truth could have devastating impact on the child. So might think ignorance is bliss

In both of those cases it is someone else knowing the truth but keeping it hidden because they feel they are protecting someone from a truth that will turn their lives upside down. In their minds ignorance is bliss and best cultivated for as long as possible before the storm hits

• Everlasting replied to Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

Ah! That makes sense. I have felt like that before.

• Everlasting replied to Fray Bluestorm
    3 years ago

So Fray, basically, you are describing one of those scenarios where is better to be safe than sorry? Instead of ending up with one scenario where you wish the Earth to eat you up, kind of thing?

• Everlasting replied to Milly Hayward
    3 years ago

Milly, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your examples are good ones. What would you consider this saying to be? I mean, would you consider it to be a proverb, a cliche, or something else?

• Milly Hayward replied to Everlasting

I don't think it's necessarily a cliche although it could easily become one if it is overused in multiple situations. Nor a proverb either because a proverb generally has a lesson to learn.

So my feeling is that its simply a 'saying' that people say to justify not wanting to be the one to turn someone's world upside down).

Then of course there comes another related saying. "Don't shoot the messenger but that's a whole new kettle of fish :)

• Star
    3 years ago

I actually have a question for you Luce just out of curiosity and because the way you think is interesting. Dont take me wrong i dont mean anything Im just curious :)

"You see, this is my thought process. we all are ignorants. Many people are offended when they are told that. But we are ignorants. We do not know anything for sure. Sure, some may know more about certain topics because they have studied but they still don’t know everything in their field. They are a bit less ignorant. However, they are ignorant in other fields.
    Their ignorance is not temporary is long lasting as a whole. They can strive to be less ignorant each and every day, and I hope they do, but they will be ignorant still. Albeit, less ignorant than others but ignorants regardless."

You're saying here the more people learn about certain things the less ignorant they become. So if someone doesnt have the capabilities to do a certain thing would you still call them ignorant? and why?

• Everlasting replied to Star
    3 years ago

“So if someone doesnt have the capabilities to do a certain thing would you still call them ignorant? and why?“

Would I call them ignorant? No. Would I call anyone ignorant just like that? No. Why not? Because I know people are offended if they are called ignorant. So out of respect, I don’t. Also, it’s not my intention to call anyone ignorant. I don’t mean to offend nor to make anyone sad. However, if I know someone who thinks like me, I might mention that he/she is an ignorant just as myself, and may be, invite them for a drink... and may be, we can share the sadness and frustration for not being able to not be ignorant despite trying to while at the same time celebrating for being less ignorant. Hehe

I don’t know if that makes sense.

• Ben Pickard replied to Everlasting
    3 years ago

The only real wisdom comes in understanding how ignorant we are, I suppose. I think Socrates said something like that.

• Fray Bluestorm replied to Everlasting
    3 years ago

Yes, exactly. That's precisely what I mean.

• Star replied to Everlasting
    3 years ago

I know I dont mean anything I was just wondering :)
    You also have a good point and what you said makes sense!!

• Everlasting replied to Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Yeah, he said something like, “I only know that I know nothing.” But I’m not entirely sure those were his exact words. Often, I wish I knew how to speak more languages, that way, I can read text exactly how it was said rather than rely on translation. But oh, my ignorance.