Weekly Contest Winners - April 12, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Hi, everyone! Hope you all have been doing well. Two judges were in agreement this week after reading Ben's piece, "Her Grace And The Orb", a graceful and pleasing nature poem with flowing rhymes and breathtaking images. The next piece highlighted is "Drought" by Hellon, which portrays in just a few short lines the vast amount of devastation and loss that farmers endure during a drought. And last but not least, Em's piece, "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", which was a prompt for National Poetry Writing Month. Em writes an emotional open and honest tribute to her hero: her mother. Many thanks to our judges for their time and congrats to all!

- MA

"Her Grace And The Orb" by: Ben Pickard

"A poem using, Iambic heptameter is not often seen on this site, and so I am very pleased to highlight it this week. You may notice the use of enjambment to share the 7 beats over 2 lines, a line of 4 iambs and then 3. The rhyme scheme is pleasing and the subject matter, is perhaps his favourite: Nature. Reading this poem was like stepping back in time, stepping, perhaps, upon the same frost and hearing the crunch on a morning walk. We all have walked in woodlands and as we enjoy what nature unveils for us, the sun melts a layer to reveal yet more beauty." (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Oh the mystical brilliance of this piece had my jaw drop! Just a beautiful poem!" (4)

"Drought" by: Hellon

"What a unique poem- This poem fits the title to a tee. Loss of rain, moisture has devastating affects upon a farmer's livelihood and damaging repercussions. Beautiful crafted Poem!" (10)

"supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (NaPoWriMo 2021)" by: Em

"I have read many tribute poems on here, but this one grabbed me with its congruence and originality. Em has used this wonderful prompt word to say ‘thank you’: for being my mom, my best friend and literally my life saver! I am sure that all moms everywhere are worthy of the same praise, but now, Em’s mom, if she reads this, will know just how very special she really is. Keep up the good work, mom as we all give thank you!" (10)

HM's:

"Moonlit Dances" by: Maud

"Oh be still my heart, this poem goes into detail about how trauma and negativity can affect you later in life, within relationships of any kind, beautiful visual and elegant word display." (7)

"Random." by: Poet on the Piano

"I like the delicate way this poet sets a scene: alone in the early hours of the night with only her thoughts for company. She describes a numb loneliness at time where others, somehow, sleep. In this time random thoughts magnify and merge into the chaotic shellshock of strewn cerebral debris. I liked, too, the meandering thoughts punctuated with questions. Finally, like a bookend, the poem closes with a basic need to survive, to keep on living and hoping that peace will come, and life will sprout from that persistent flashing cursor." (4)

• Meena Krish replied to PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago

Congrats winners, thank you judges for your time and thank you for hosting MA!

• Keira Pickard
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all of the winners and HMs! Thank you to the judges and MA for hosting.

• Mr. Darcy
    3 years ago

Super stuff all round. Thanks to MA for hosting and to our judges.

• prasanna
    3 years ago

Congrats to the winners and those who picked up a HM! Thank you judges for your hard work, and thank you MA for hosting :)

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

Thank you to both judges for their time and comments on my poem. Well done to all involved this week.

• Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Congrats to Ben, Hellon & Em! Remarkable works. Thanks, Judges and thanks MA for posting. Congrats to the two honorably mentioned.

• ddavidd
    3 years ago

Nothing to say but:: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

• Em
    3 years ago

Thank you MA for hosting and taking up your free time to do so.
    Thank you to the judge who also took up their free time to read through all the fantastic work this week, that cannot have been easy. Thanks for such a lovely comment on my piece, it truly means a bunch =)
    Congratulations Ben and Hellon on your wins and to all HMs - so much fantastic poetry recently

Take care all xx

• Michael
    3 years ago

Hi all

Congratulations to all front page poets and HMs awarded

Thank you to the judges who give their time.

Thank you to Keira for nominating my poem

Much love M :)

• Brenda
    3 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Stellar writing all around! Thank you judges for making the hard choices and your time. Thank you Mary Anne for hosting.

• Hellon
    3 years ago

Congrats to the other two winners and hms. Thanks to the judge for taking time to comment on my poem and many thanks to Em for nominating it. Thanks also to MA for hosting this week.