Weekly Contest Results, 23 August 2021

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

In whose eyes do we find our selves reflected? In whose souls are we encrypted? The judges this week rewarded attempts to answer these questions: MA’s discovery of salvation by an unforseen force, If the Devil Could See Me Now, and Mark’s paean to his dream goddess in her white silk dress, Mea Culpa. Noura won the toss of the site’s tie breaker, but she was guaranteed to do so, as both the poems tied for third were hers. The winning poem, Beauty and the Bipolar, shows her as raw and vulnerable as she ever has been. To absorb her message is to imbue your own struggle to maintain with the strength and bravery she exudes, although she might be the last to recognize her potency.

Thanks to the two judges this week. Looking forward to weeks of actual HMs!

Winning front page poems
    If the Devil Could See Me Now by Poet on the Piano - 4+10 = 14 pts
    Mea Culpa by hiraeth - 10 pts
    Beauty and Bi-polar by Nourayasmine - 7 pts.

Honorably Mentioned
    Mussed Creation by nourayasmine - 7 pts
    Biodiversity by Walter - 4 pts

Comments

If the Devil Could See Me Now by Poet on the Piano – 4pts
    This is a poem that effectively gives the reader an insight into the mind of a conflicted poet wrestling with their inner demons and trying to come out the other side. There are definite references to sin, morality and judgement and words such as abyss, deity, virtue and toxicity all help build this image effectively. I think the poem is inherently optimistic and the poet comes to the realisation that they can’t be perfect and striving to achieve that so-called perfection is counter-productive. An even more positive note is that the poet seems to come to the realisation that they shouldn’t spend their time and energy worrying about the expectations that are forced upon them. My favourite part of the poem is ‘Then, you volleyed into the midnight sky.’ That use of a simple word such as then, is a decisive turning point in the poem and flips the poem’s tone expertly. I like the self-assuredness of the final stanza; a poet at peace with their decision and not worried anymore about the perceptions of others. Well done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If the devil could see me". By poet on the piano.
    I listened to the song in which the writer has taken inspiration.
    The lyrics are dark and expressed with pain.
    The writer has laced their words in a thick thread of pain and anguish that runs through this piece of writing.
    I love the imagery of how one can feel about/of ‘the devil’ and giving an indication of actually hearing what it has to say! Then expressing their weakness – like the devil is in control in many ways, and while you live within its grips, there will be suffering in order to survive.
    I think.
    But with all that said, the writer has thrown themselves into the grips of the devil, with an almost feeling of giving in. Hence ‘drowning in crimson’ which is a strong metaphor, which I enjoy.
    But what I love about poetry/creative writing is there is always us within, whether its our demons or angels.
    Very well written indeed!, and a worthy of top points. (10)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mea Culpa by hiraeth – 10pts
    Rarely has a poem so long kept me so interested. It is a testament to the poet’s skill that the reader stays with the poem all the way through, and I feel that there is lots to dive into for the reader. The punctuation is consistently excellent and helps create a flow throughout the poem, prompting the reader to spot the emphasized lines, words and ideas. I like the image of the wishbone and how the poet reads so much into it – the marrow seeping out, the narcissistic grappling for the larger half. The whole poem reads like a battle raging, just under the surface. A relationship tug-of-war or maybe even the poet battling with him/herself. There is an overarching tone of morality, guilt, self-destruction which makes the poem deep and deeply personal. This is a poem I imagine I will revisit and find something new in each time I do. Well done on crafting a poem that is almost epic in more ways than one!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Beauty and Bi-polar". By Nourayasmine.
    I really like the title of this poem.
    For me it brings into mind ‘Beauty and the beast’ (bearing in mind this could be either way around in terms of female or male) and gives this impression in some respect.
    We are beautiful, but still live with whatever lies deep inside.
    This piece of writing resonates with myself, so very relatable in many aspects of how the writer describes their meaning.
    ‘Bi-polar’ ‘Manic-depression’ along with all other such labels are given to tick boxes so to speak.
    I like the way the writer gives an insight in whatever role we play in work, we still have to deal with our own ways, for the truth is we cant change ourselves, we just have to manage ourselves.
    The writer gives the image of the very tough struggles with what they have to live with, each and everyday, portrayed with deep and dark ink, also the impacts of what they have to deal with.
    However its what makes such beauty in tragic writing.
    A very personal piece, that captures such a hindrance, that I am sure many of us connect with.
    Well written, with the writer expressing their daily anguish! (7)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mussed Creation by nourayasmine – 7pts
    This poem held many excellent descriptions about duality and the conflict between light and dark within us. It compares and contrasts both ends of our mood spectrum and overall it feels like it is written at a low ebb in the poet’s mood. The last verse is effective in describing the blank, aimless, almost numb way we can all feel at times. I like the unusual but appropriate choices of words such as vantablack, as well as the effective similes such as comparing colour in Harlequins Carnival. There is certainly a melancholy with the images of withdrawn silence. I love the use of colour and the images of silhouetting on the blank sky, and the orange leaves on a nondescript path. I think the last line is powerful and in a way sums up the poem effectively. A very good poem worthy of the front page!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Biodiversity". By Walter.
    I must admit I do enjoy reading a Haiku. A simple form that captures nature in a few selective words.
    Here the writer describes a scene of birds chirping from the branch of a tree, relating the branch to be their perch.
    I like the way in which the writer sees an image that gives a sense of ‘balance’, in what could be seen as an ‘unbalanced world’.
    A poem about nature is always a treat I must say!
    What I would say is that for me it would be the ‘trees’ providing the balance for the birds to be singing.
    But this is my perspective, and takes nothing from how the writer portrays the image.
    However I still like the image, and nicely penned. (4).

• nouriguess
    2 years ago

Thank you for the comments, judges.

• Star
    2 years ago

Congrats winners and HMs!!!!

Im happy to see two judges this week!! Thank you for your time and effort, thank you Larry for hosting :)

• Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Many thanks to the two judges for the comments/votes, and thanks to Larry for hosting! Congrats all :)

• Meena Krish replied to Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

Thank you to the two judges for their time and effort! Thank you for hosting Larry..

Congrats Winners and HM's