Weekly Contest Results 22 November 2021

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

It is late Fall. Seasonal Affective Disorder has set in. This temporal sadness is reflected in many of the poems nominated this week and especially in those capturing the votes of the judges. Michael’s ode to the void: State Of Mind; Vera Campbell’s snow drift lament: Ligna Coram Nobis (Trees Before Us); and finally Obscure’s poetic abreaction: A Mess. Ddavidd’s excellent koan-senryu Discourse earned an HM.
    Congratulations to each of these poets and a great thank you to the two judges who provided insightful comments.

Front Page Winners
    State of mind by Michael Points:10 + 10 = 20
    Ligna Coram Nobis by Vera Campbell Points: 4 + 7 = 11
    A mess by Obscure Points: 7

Honorably Mentioned
    Discourse (Senryu) by ddavidd Points: 4

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    State of mind by Michael Points:10
    The lack of punctuation in this, sets the right mood for the poem, it made me feel and visualize being lost in a dark void. The form and wording of this poem is really beautiful!

State of mind by Michael 10 Points
    A wonderful twist; a love poem to depression, and I think what strikes me the most is almost how comfortable the poet seems with it, like this has become normal to them. This is masterful, and I am absolutely floored.

Ligna Coram Nobis by Vera Campbell Points: 7
    The title stood out the most, which made it so interesting to get into the poem. I found some sadness in this, maybe I read this with a certain emotion which lead me to that. It made me think of deforestation which is cruel to the creatures and the ecology of forests, even to us humans. I visualized the forest, smelled it even, which even made it sadder. Trees are truly special, finding peace with them, in them even. Being a part of them ended the poem so beautifully.

Ligna Coram Nobis by Vera Campbell 4 Points
    Equally cryptic and beautiful, it made me think of of an avatar-like world with the poet writing a poem in an eerily beautiful landscape. Well done!

A mess by Obscure 7 Points
    There's so much honesty in here, it's frightening. I hope the poet feels better now that they have penned that piece. Sometimes it takes us spilling everything wrong in our lives to make the good things in our life seem great. Hang in there!

Discourse (Senryu) by ddavidd Points: 4
    This made me think, and it’s the kind of piece that you’ll take something different from every time you read it. I first read is as even if questions are answered they will still linger and doubted . Then I read it as time can change the answers. Then I read it as maybe the questions are the main problem not time not the answers not the silence that falls with an answer. Questioning is part of the human nature and it’s not bad, until we become obsessed, so even when there are answers as time goes we’ll still keep questioning the same things. And those previous answers will fall in silence. I’m sure the way I interpret this will change, but that’s what I’m enjoying in this piece!

• Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

Congrats to Obscure, Michael, Vera (a first win), and ddavidd! Many thanks to the two judges, and to Larry, for hosting. Hope everyone has been well!

• Michael
    2 years ago

Hi all :)

Congratulations to all the front page poets, and HMs awarded :)

thank you to the two judges for their time, and giving me a great score between you, much appreciated :)

Thank you to MA for nominating my poem :)
    and Larry for hosting

Much love, M

• ddavidd
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Thank to the judge for my comment, to Larry, and to Meena who nominated me.

• Meena Krish replied to Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Congrats to the Winners and HM's,
    Thank you judges for your time and thanks for histing Larry..

• silvershoes
    2 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and honorable mention. Thanks so much to our judges, and to Larry, who is my favorite contest host because of his introductions!