Death Bed Conversion

• Lipton
    18 years ago

As one of my pastors told me,

"It doesn't matter how you come into the room of faith... whether you run in, or limp in. Just as long as you're in it before you die."

Just like in the Bible. When Jesus was crucified, and the theif next to him came to faith in Jesus Christ... He was saved (as Jesus said, "Today, you shall be with me in paradise.")

And no, no family member, or medical person can make you saved, or save you for that matter.

As for denomination, I can't answer that. Everyone thinks that they have the answer, and to say something like, "You must be a baptist," would only make people here mad.

~Ciao Lipton

• Corrie
    18 years ago

yeah, like ^he^ said, no family member or medical person can do it for you.. and the reason for that is that getting saved is a condition of the heart, you have to be the one to believe, and ask for forgiveness, and stuff, and nobody else can do it for you, even if u just do it in ur head cuz u cant speak or whatever.. anyways u do it, it workz! : ) *KISSES*~Corrie

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Great response to this question Lipton, and Corrie I hope the moderators forgive me for this long post but Lipton and Corrie confirmed a point that I was trying to make when I wrote this after I had a discussion about the sincerity of the conversion of a certain individual. The circumstance or her death caused many to question her sincerity. Any of us can have sins that we only know about, but she put hers in a book for all to see
    She said it took all that she had when she decided to pray. When she turned her petitions to God she must have been afraid of rejection. She finds mercy beyond her comprehension. When we judge harshly, even if we are judging ourselves, we do not reflect God's mercy. There was a beautiful song written about her. The song assures her that the love of Christ is forever, and He will never take His love away. Also to her, the singer sings, 'I don't have to see your face to know that I love what's in your heart'. I can tell you found a place to go when your world has come apart'.
    Many people would doubt that Jesus was in the heart of this confessed criminal. Pointing out that she stood to gain a lot by her conversion. She was in the company of criminals, when she was murdered. I was deeply offended, when someone suggested that her recording was evil. She was worthless, in their opinion, which they seemingly held as an inviolable right. I also sensed a hostile attitude when I suggested that they listen to the recording before passing judgment on it's content, and it's author. The very next day when I went to church, I picked up the church bulletin. The cover from 'Liguori' publications had an article entitled 'A Catholic Attitude toward Prisons.' The second sentence of the first paragraph stated that every human person is created in the image and likeness of God, and has an inviolable dignity, value, and worth. The ecclesiastically approved article also stated, therefore both the most wounded victim and, the most callous criminal, retain their humanity. They both possess a dignity, value, and worth that must be recognized, promoted, safeguarded, and defended. I decided since it was the Lord's day, that a close relative would not mind me sharing this article with her. I don't remember how I led into it, but I remember feeling very misunderstood. I was feeling as misunderstood as I felt the day before, when I perhaps boldly led the topic of the discussion.
    A discussion I wanted to have with my guests. As I read the article she was shaking her head no. I was curious. I stopped reading the church article and asked her why she was shacking her head no. She told me I was interpreting it wrong. To my shame, I got angry. I could not make any sense from her statement, because I was reading word for word the article. I was also amazed, that she was not as amazed, as I was about the strange coincidence that the article was in the church bulletin the day after I brought up that topic. I asked her what she thought the meaning was of the scripture from 1 Corinthians1; 28-29, which read, God chose the lowly and despised of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something so that no human being might boast before God. That was the gospel reading for that day. She said she did not know. I remember ending that discussion feeling even more misunderstood, and confused. I was disappointed in myself for not being able to control my emotions. It became apparent to me that I had fallen more deeply in love with 'The Eve of My Dreams.' after I had listened to her beautiful words of faith, hope, and charity. I was more interested in preserving her worth as a human being, than I was on preserving the catholic churches teaching on what our Christian attitude should be. The woman, that my loved ones said was evil, had quoted Voltaire in her recording and said, 'Even though I may not agree with what you say, I will defend, to the death, your right to say it'. Ironically, Voltaire was a poet despised by many Christians. I wished for a while I had not brought the subject up. But, words are very powerful to me. I could not understand why my loved ones could not see the beauty in the story of Jesus reaching out, and extending mercy to a confessed criminal. So I wrote the poem 'Faith Hope, and Charity 'sighting the criminal, who rebuked the criminal, whom was mocking Jesus.
    There can be no mistake that this story shows that Jesus cares more about, that which is in your heart, than anything you have done. One could say that this criminal stood to gain a lot from his last minute conversion, but if he had doubted Jesus, and showed no love, how could he have hoped to gain mercy? No one but God can see what is in the heart of another. I think my loved ones understand me now,' but it would take some time. I have been accused of nit picking, and trying to start arguments about religion. It is sad for me to have to admit, but it is sometimes hard for me to see what faith, hope and, charity has to do with some people's religion. The poem I wrote ‘Faith, Hope , Charity ‘ is posted on this site

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

Well Brittney when Lipton goes to church he goes to a Baptist Church. When I go to church I go to a Catholic church. Someone else might go to a Lutheran church, and so on. Each church has differences in their creed or beliefs. The churches have had a turbulent history. But we still agree on many things. A denomination has a designated name for its teachings.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

I am not sure that anyone can allow or not allow any individual to convert. I agree that that is a personal decission. Noboby can force anyone to believe as they do.

• Michael D Nalley
    18 years ago

lol The most dividing problem that denominations have, is that the authorities that protest teachings and knit pick, believe that they do know. Some churches claim to be nondenominational.

• Heather M Craig
    18 years ago

Brittany,
    my darling, in simple terms...denomination is a classification of your belief. Such as Baptists, Catholics, and other contrasting religions differ in given creeds, that creates their denominations. More or less, it's only a belief of a specific religion.
    Michael could explain it to you in a higher fashion but I believe I'm right as well. Does all of this help?

Love, Heather.

• Kevin
    18 years ago

I always find deathbed convertions to be slightly suspect. It would seem that it's more a fear of the unknown that comes with death, than an actual desire to hook up with God. I guess whatever works to give you peace of mind in such a harsh time.

My grandfather converted just before he died, but he only did it to make my Gran feel better about him burning in hell...silly really.

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

We shouldn't judge, though sometimes suspicion does arise if someone converts right before dying.