Music?

• Jackie Bilson
    19 years ago

I just wrote this poem called 'Maybe' and I was listening to 'Maybe I'm Amazed' by Paul Mc Cartney as I wrote it. I couldn't get the whole mood of his song out of my head and I just couldn't take a break until I was satisfied with what I had written.

Have you guys ever had that? Like, when you're listening to something or wathcing something and you just get this rush of emotions that you have to write down and you just can't stop until you've written something acceptable? And if you have, what was the song/show?

• Sean Allen
    19 years ago

I was listening to "I started a Joke" by the Beegees and I really wanted to write something... I didn't though. But I understand what you're talking about :-)

• Lydia O
    19 years ago

I think you may find Amanda McBroom's account of how she wrote "The Rose" interesting.

http://www.amcbroom.com/rose.html

She was on such a rush that that she dashed home and completed both the lyrics and music in 10 minutes. It became the title song for the movie. The song topped the charts and won the Golden Globe award for the best new song in a motion picture that year. The lyrics to the song are also at the above link.

I admire such talent but it won't happen for me. I just never get onto a roll like that.

• gasping for air
    19 years ago

definitely.... i can get in moods all by myself and i can't get in a better one... its the same way when i listen to music or watch a movie/show.... once im passionate about something i have to write about it or it bothers me for days on end.. and thats usually when my poetry is the best
    loves and hugs
    Manda Lynn

• nikki
    19 years ago

i know what you mean, i was listening to "mad world" by gary jules when i got this urge to write my poem 'remember to breathe' i love that song and now every time i read that poem i hear that song and every time i hear that song i think of that poem lol.
    xnikkix

• Jackie Bilson
    19 years ago

I've never heard of the song, 'The Rose'.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears something and just can't settle until I've turned it into something completely my own.

• Dawn Manna
    19 years ago

im the same way about listening to music. when i listen to something, be it fast or slow, i sometimes get in the mood to write and when i do it ususally comes out good.

• Jackie Bilson
    19 years ago

I get so frustratd though, when i can't fight the EXACT words that I want used. LOL. And then I try to do something, it's all that's on my mind.

• Jackie Bilson
    19 years ago

Oh wow, thanks for that! I could really use that! Thank you so much :)

• Gracie Jo
    19 years ago

I'd have to say music really inspires me to write.. whenever I'm listening to something out of no where I get these few lines that rhyme and then I start to write.

Yeah.. music is awesome =)

~Grace

• Timothy r
    19 years ago

I wrote my poem "Once upon a daydream" based on the song by The Police..for those of you who are young, that was Sting`s band in the 80`s..lol

• Erica Brown©
    19 years ago

I like that band.. I listen to my oldies and once I think I wrote some poems from Elton John, Queen, The beatles, Billy Joel.. etc.. and then I was like "what the heck was I doing" and so I threw them all away..

• AGirlWorthFightingFor
    19 years ago

the first poem I ever wrote came from watching that episode, "billy" from Angel's 3rd season. Wesley was just all mad-violent, brilliant, I had to write something about the fall I accurately predicted would take place later in the season.

Also, as far as music goes, the radio was overplaying "Last Dance with Mary Jane" and I had recently broken up with a pothead loser of a bf, so I whipped out the saccharine sweet, "Can't Compete with Mary Jane."

I don't intentionally listen or watch other things for inspiration. When I do that, I have a tendency to crib.

• ¤©h€€®ƒüll¥♥©¥ñ!c@l¤
    19 years ago

when i first started to write, i would listen to music but then i don't knowwhy, it just didn't inspire me and I learned I wrote better poems without it.
    -Cheerfully Cynical