my parents dont want me to write

• Mallory
    17 years ago

My parents dont want me writing poetry because i wont let them read what i write because my poems are about cutting, burning and my inner emotions that i dont want to share with them....
    should i stop writing poetry, or let them read my poems or what?
    any suggestions?

• Tammy
    17 years ago

Your parents are probably just worried about you. I don't think they should ask you to stop writing...but if they don't write, they probably don't understand how writing helps us cope.
    Maybe you could try explaining that to them.
    Just a thought

• LostHopesCrimsonTears
    17 years ago

i wouldnt usualy suggest trying to decieve your parents but you could.. either 1) just hide your writing from them and tell them you stopped, or 2) every once in a while write something you wouldnt care they read just to keep them off your back

• Tammy
    17 years ago

lol
    I think explaining to them is a better idea.
    that way you don't have to worry about lying to them. :)

• Void
    17 years ago

Well... I sort of had that problem. Though it wasn't so much my parents (as I don't really tell them much) but my friends that were worried about me. They wanted so badly to read what I write just to make sure I was ok, so rather than risk them knowing more than I'd want them to (I'm an incredibly secretive person, and don't trust many people) I just wrote some fake happier ones, or believable ones that had nothing to do with the real stuff I wrote. Yesh, they were crap, but my friends still bought it and haven't worried since. Best of luck to you! -Stefhy

• Steven Beesley
    17 years ago

I think your parents are concerned about you and also concerned on the subject matter which you choose to write about.

I would say that they have your welfare at heart and it may be a good starting point if you met your parents half way and sat and talked to them openly about your concerns and what issues that might be troubling you.

If you can tackle issues openly, then the next step is for you to show them your past poems.

The thing is to be honest and frank with each other and to keep an open mind.

• My Love Lies Bleeding
    17 years ago

i believe you parents are just courious about the poems you write. and they just want to see what kinda of creations you can create.

and i do agree with the person thats up above.

i don't think you should stop writing just because your parents want you to just because you don't show them your work...you should sit down with them and have a heart to heart converstaion and get everything our in the open...its the only way you could keep writing and keep your parents happ.

• Mallory
    17 years ago

i decided that
    ill meet them half way...
    my mom is happy i let her read my poems...thats really what she wanted in the first place.. my dad just doesnt care anymore..

thanks bunches

• Tammy
    17 years ago

Good decision

:)

• Mallory
    17 years ago

damn straight, Sluvious.

• Steven Beesley
    17 years ago

Then be totally frank with them in your talk.

• ari
    17 years ago

then just show them some of the better ones, and they won't care what it's about, because it's too good. and if they ask, and you actually don't cut, and they are just feelings, they shouldn't worry. if they still hound you, then show them the others, hoping they won't have a heart attack (i don't cut, but i write about ti, and my parents know iw rite, and i only show them the ones i like, and they don't care, because they know i don't do any of the things in my poems)

• Tara Kay
    17 years ago

i dont think you should show your poems to your parents anyway because they are private and personal.
    But they shouldnt make you stop writing because its not up to them what you do.

• Catherine
    17 years ago

Ignore them. If poetry is something you really like, you shouldn't let them stop you. If they start doing bad stuff because your writing, go for help. No one should stop you from doing what you love!

Luckily, I have never had this problem. My family my dads side at least) is supper creative! They all love music, and my four year old sister is already starting to sing. But anyway, keep writing, and doing what you love.

• Ashleigh Skye
    17 years ago

I dont think that you should necessairly share your poetry with your parents.. cause its kinda like a private journal.. (well for me anyways) and parents dont need to see it, but if you are cutting yourself or something along thoes lines then I think that you should talk to your parents about it and get some help for yourself so that you can get better

• ImmortalKitty
    17 years ago

When the school told me to stop writing poetry because of the content. I told them that i would continue to write as i would continue to breath. If they did not like my poetry they did not have to read it. If your parents insist on reading your poetry, then let them, if they disapprove then they are disappoving of you. Cause your poetry is you. It is your emotions. They need to understand that. If they accept you. they have to accept all of you.

• Avrii Monrielle
    17 years ago

....trust me, one day your mom or dad will find one....

^TPAM:

Thats a nice reason :)

don't throw away something you like because someone else makes you not want it. if they want to read it... it's your choice. no one else's.

:) have fun.

• Stephanie
    17 years ago

I have the same problem. You should not stop writing poetry. Maybe you should talk to your parents and tell them that I really would like to keep these thoughts to myself or something. Try and make them understand why writing poems are so important to you.

-Stephanie-

• Moose
    17 years ago

I have the EXACT same problem. My mom says she "needs" to see the site with all my poems on, that's why I clear my history every night. As a few of them mentioned above 1 option you have is writing a poem or two that aren't bad at all and are happy and la-di-da happy go-lucky, you know? Another option, which I would NOT suggest would be to tell them about your cutting cause If you are you need some help. Everyone who does needs it, I do, but I'm stopping because my friend died from it. SO i'm slowly working off it. You need to too.

I would suggest you either find someone to write a happy regular poem and then let your parents read it.

• Lovely Bones
    17 years ago

I definately wouldn't stop writing. But if you are cutting and you need help but don't want to show them to your parents, show them to a trusted friend and maybe he/she will get you the help you need.
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Sarah-Joy

• Stephanie and Laura
    17 years ago

they have a point but so do you just explain to them that your poems are about the feelings you feel and you express them in forms of writing. im sure they are just worried about you, the thing is if you let them read one i bet they would be scared and they would make you stop, so maybe try something new like write your poems that you feel for and throw in something new too like maybe a more up beat poem.....show them the up beat poem...its not lying right? and maybe writing something happy will make you feel better too

keep the talent keep the faith and keep the ability to write beautifully,

Laura

• Bhavin
    17 years ago

I think S & L's correct. Maybe you should explain them that you really love writing. Remember buddy, whats the use of being a writer if there is no reader??? Think about it and let me know....

• Kelsie
    16 years ago

I agree your parents just want to know like whats goin on in your life and if you want to keep a secret from them it makes it look a little shady, but they should be understanding about your love for writing and like if they are going to try and take that away from you thats just wrong. i think you should sit them down and just tell them how it is. peace && love.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Well explain them that you love writing..I think you're parents will understand you on what you are doing..but cutting and burning is not a good idea..but its okay^^

• Katrina
    16 years ago

Well tell them its your personal thing writing helps people!

• HisBlueEyedAngel
    16 years ago

Let them read them and explain to them what you are feeling maybe they will understand what it is you are telling them.

• Karl Wild GG23
    16 years ago

Do what makes you happy, regardless. GG23

• lost dream
    16 years ago

Write some stupid happy poems & show it to them
    & hide the dark !
    * i would do that!

• Bre Monique
    16 years ago

I think you should just tell them that you don't want them reading it because you write to express your innermost feelings and by letting them see it would inhibit some of the things you might write. It's like a journal, they wouldn't ask to read that would they?

• dada20
    16 years ago

I have been writing ever since I had went through a poetry unit at school. Then I found out that it is really nice having a connection with just something as simple as pen to paper so of course tha lead up to now. I have been writing for 2 years. Some of the stuff I write about I dont want anyone to see but, my friends. Most importantly I dont want my parents to find out.

• Mello193
    16 years ago

No. I do the exact same thing. If they insist show them a clean one, or just make one up. If you don't want to show them, then don't. And if they tell you to stop. Just don't stop....

-mello

• Gizmo
    16 years ago

^ agree. i went through with that with my parents.

• Deana
    16 years ago

I think they should be more concerned about the cutting than the writing,getting feelings out is very theraputic,maybe if you explained to them that it is an outlet for you to release emotions but that its very personal and that you would really like them to respect your privacy,they would. I think no matter what you should continue to write.

• christopher
    16 years ago

Same problem here dude... i started when i was 13 and my parents found by accident some of my pieces :P they were very shocked and i suppose they do what all parents do --> WORRY. luckily nowadays my parents accept this coz they know that this is some way how to express myself.. and that not everything can be taken literally

• CY GINDLE
    16 years ago

Have two names like a good diary and one you
    pour your heart and soul into. you will never
    write your true feelings if you know someone
    is watching your every word and your poems
    will be less emotional and emotion is what makes
    a good poem. not how good you rhyme but how
    emotional it is. thats just me

• IdTakeABulletForYou
    16 years ago

If you're parents don't want you to write,
    take a piece of paper and write a poem,
    put it under your mattress,
    and do it over and over and over again
    until you feel like you're sleeping on paper;

Come back and tell me if you feel more satisfied with yourself; had your parents not told you to stop writing, where would the motivation be? There'd be no fun in it!

I'm not saying get in trouble.
    I'm saying don't get caught.

• SCARECROW
    16 years ago

Ah, understandable. They're probably just very worried about you.
    You should try explaining to your parents that you're writing this from an artistic point of view, and that doing this helps you cope with your own emotions which helps you keep yourself 'in check', so to speak.
    If your parents understand, they'll understand. If not, I suppose there's little to do but keep writing in secret, if writing means a lot to you.
    Hope it helps, and I hope everything works out for you!

• Katy
    16 years ago

I think that it is ridiculous a parent would actually ask that! What in the world could be the harm in their kid writing?

• XxBR0K3NxX
    16 years ago

MY PARENTS DONT WANT ME WRiiTiiNG EiiTHER. WHEN MY MOM READS MY THiiNGS, SHE THiiNKS THERE iiS SOMETHiiNG WRONG WiiTH ME. BUT THERES NOT. ii JUST DONT LET HER READ MY POEMS ANYMORE AND TELL HER TO DEAL WiiTH iiT. iiTS YOUR WRiiTiiNG...YOUR PRiiVACY. YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO STOP WRiiTiiNG JUST BECAUSE YOUR PARENTS DONT LiiKE iiT.

• Boy
    16 years ago

Mallory... i think you should wirte. poems. thus ur parents can understand u better. instead of talking to you... so openly