Poetry Vs Music

• Jacklyn
    17 years ago

i love music and poetry but most of the time if you take a song and read it like it's a poem i would concider the song to be horrible. i can see why some people just compare the two but really in my opinion a good song is a bad poem. if you just pick any song that's popular right now that you like and read the lyrics without the song to go with it, it would probably not be as appealing. in songs i can deal with repeating like the verses but in poetry only sometimes do i like repeating. i only like repeating in poetry if it helps bring in the message to the reader.

i don't know if this is confusing at all or the kind of answer this thread is looking for but it's my opinion.

~Jacklyn

• Catherine
    17 years ago

Ok, for me, which is better depends on my mood. If I am hyper, I like music, because it is loud and 'active'. I like thta when reading poetry, if it's a good poem you can Feel it. You can Feel what the writer was feeling when he/she wrote the poem. In Music, it is all so fast, you hardly know what it's talkin' about. For example, I like country music, and this Lonestar song I really liked 'I'm Already There' I didn't really understand until I saw the INCREDIBLY sad music video. Then I realized it was about war, and people going off and joining the army... it was really sad.

• ImmortalKitty
    17 years ago

The thing is. Most ppl don't understand the power of writen poetry. As the standards for poetry have changed. However, poetry is the song of the heart. Expressions of emotions that fill us. No matter what the emotions is. Music, started off as an expression of emotions, (Pardon me not all music started off this way but the best ones did) The heart begins to sing out the words that make a poem so great. Then someone comes along and adds instruments and verbals music to it. Thus a poem can become an open song. Remember though. Not all music started off as a poem. As an expression of emotions. Only those of us who feel it, can tell the poems from the songs.

• -Ghostship Fidelity-
    17 years ago

This is to Donald;

You are completely wrong about songwriters. Some songwriters such as myself do not write to appease an audience. They write for the same reasons as every other poet. Because if you haven't noticed, lyrics are just the same as poetry... Unless you're looking at some sell outs lyrics. We compose this music not to sell, but to express ourselves. True, there are some people out there who mostly do it for the money, but you can't sterotype musicians off of those people.

Plus I hate dancers.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    17 years ago

inshort, musicians have an edge over poets, even though lyrics and poetry are the same thing. Here is why, a poet succeeds in his words, and only they carry him on. So, he must perfect the are of creating an atmosphere with mere words. Musicians, singers, etc, don't have to do that. They can have the shittiest words in the world but if someone likes the beat it will be sold, even if the beat blows, which often times it does. So while poets have to perfect one thing and make it perfect musicians can fall back onto a beat, not necessarily their song. Great musicians have the whole song set a mood and then match perfect poetry to it, creating a great overall song. But, I think musicians do have an edge because they can fall back on beat, and poets can't.

• Daenerys Stormborn
    17 years ago

i think poets and musicians are both artists, and although musicians have the advantage of music as a fallback, i think the lyrics to a song are just as important as the instrumental part and when written on paper, lyrics should sound like poetry. so anyway, i think yes, poetry may take a different kind of skill because mood and atmosphere must be expressed through words alone, but musicians can be equally talented. just as some lyrics are crap and the whole song is the beat, but the musician still makes extreme bank, famous poets have written crappy poems in the past but the poems became famous simply because the poet was famous....so anyway, you have to open your mind, your eyes and your heart when listening to music or reading poetry...which makes me feel they are practically the same.

fun fact: i am a poet and my boyfriend is a musician.

• Chris
    17 years ago

Ok, for me, which is better depends on my mood.

I agree

• Jessica
    17 years ago

~ Well, to me, music is more powerful. It has the beautiful words of poetry, plus the emotion of sound. I've learned that in the right situations, the music that I hear will either make me cry my eyes out, or put me in the greatest mood. But yeah, definately music for me.

• Jordan
    17 years ago

I love both, but I'm definitely more of a music person. I always have a song stuck in my head and am always hitting things in attempt to make a beat. lol, hitting things...beat...haa

• Natalie
    17 years ago

Eh, I kinda like songwriters more. I find it easier writing a song than a poem. Eh, I dunno? Lol

• Emily
    17 years ago

Depends on which aspect.

As to reading/hearing, I'd pick music(Unless it was a great poet)

As to writing, I'd pick poetry.

• amandaa
    17 years ago

Music is poetry, to an extent.
    Songs are poetry.

• Mel
    17 years ago

What you're forgetting is this.

music, and, indeed, poetry rely on what Roland barthes calls 'cultural codes'. For example, a song that begins in a deliberate slow and minor key will evoke shared cultural images of sadness: take many pink Floyd tracks ás an instance of this. There are many more in the classical field, also, and they usually begin with a violin. We know instinctively the mood of the song. However, play a more uptempo rhythm and major chords, and we are made to feel happy.

Poetry works with the same cultural codes but oviously without the music. Instead it uses metaphor/similes that can take a little longer to register with the brain; consequently the effect is the same (happy or sad), but not as immediate as music.

Hence, in music the emotion comes from the musical score and coupling of often weak lyrics (some are better than others). In poetry, every word has to count to make its mark.

Incidentally, don't look at my poetry as a good example of this rule.

• Fighter (Ariane L.)
    17 years ago

music is poetry, in my opinion. sure, not all lyrics are considered "poetry", but it's still a form of poetic expression.

• Catherine
    17 years ago

They are both equally powerful, but to give someone a certain message, I would say poetry is better. Poetry is a good way to tell someone something. That is why I write love poems about Alex, because I can't tell him I love him in person.

• RainbowSlider
    17 years ago

I think some music is poetic.

• blueknight
    17 years ago

i like poetry than to music coz in poetry i can express my self that music they have a conparison ooops sory cant spell but i do love poetry than music and in poetry i learned so much more

• Tormented
    17 years ago

I agree with "FIGHT" music is a form of poetry( in my opinion)

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    17 years ago

dwelt: Go to Google and search "poetry is but a song from the heart or the soul".

Ye be famous. ;-)

• Y0URMY0NLYH0PE
    17 years ago

poetry is basically the lyrics of music!

• Bhavin
    17 years ago

truely written by beautifullybroken. any song written is a poem first...

• Kirsty palmer
    17 years ago

i also agree with 'beautifulybroken'.. and i also thought that
    'A poet searches for answers
    A songwriter searches for dancers '
    was a great reply too.. i love both music and poems.. but i can relate to poems more.

• sally
    17 years ago

my opinion is
    well music..well SOME music is..weird and poety touches u heart u kno
    and , well i write some of my songs 4rm my poems..so yea..idk =]

• Truest Lies
    17 years ago

Hahah, I can't sing, can't play an instrument, so when I need to release a very personal, unique emotion, I write it down, but if I want to dance, and just kick at something to the beat of a beautiful song, then I resort to music.
    Strange, I find it hard to find lyrics strong enough to touch me... occasionally something will... if not, I have to write it myself.
    Music by itself... oh, well, it's genius... a poet can merely strive to add the words.

//T.L.//

• Sweet lig
    17 years ago

poetry vs music...well they are both interested for me i love them both. my day is incomplete w/out music. and i love poetry also and i cant compare both

• Ellie
    17 years ago

One could not live without the other, no matter the opinion. I, personally, love both and can't compare them.

• amandaa
    17 years ago

I can not believe you would say music is all about selling.
    The media is all about selling.
    Not music.

• Fluffy
    17 years ago

Songs only build on from poetry. That's what I seem to think anyway =).

-Elysium.x

• Gary Jurechka
    17 years ago

Although it is emoton ,words, meaning that inspires me most,actually, music has been a greater influence on me than reading poetry of the so called masters.My greatest influences music/lyrics as poetry have been Fish of Marillion-excellent imagery and adjectives, Micheal Stipe of RE.M.-cryptic yet ambiguous, Simon and Garfunkel-pure poetry in song, Stone Roses-uplifting yet obscure, Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails-angst and emotional alienation, also others such as Bob Dylan(truly a master of poetic lyics), Leonard Cohen(also a poet first and musician second), Snow Patrol, David Gray, Counting Crows, Enigma,the Beatles,Liz Phair,Straylight Run, Gary Numan, Joan Baez, Coldplay,Peter Gabriel, Manic Steet Preachers,Blue October,Moby,King's X, Monkees, David Gray,Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath,Kate Bush,Augastana, Talking Heads,Jim Morrison and the Doors,Tori Amos,Prince,Dream Academy, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Dave Mattews Band, and jazz/pop/rock instrumentalists like Vince Guaraldi, the Rippingtons,David Benoit, Dotsero, George Winston, Mike Oldfield, Joe Satriani, David Lanz, Tangerine Dream, and so many more I can't possibly list them all-all music of all forms and categories.Some of the greatest poets are the songwriters and they should not be ignored and can be looked it as a source of inspiration or mood as you write.Seek the musicians whose lyrics and emotion can be easily understood as poetry, that is, it can be read as words without the music or listening to instrumental music that moves you as poetry does.Music can be such inspiration and influence, however, don't let it take on your own voice/poetry.I listen to music as I write-sometimes I tone it out as background atmosphere, sometimes it sparks ideas, serves as a catalyst for my poetry.It is a good guide but don't let it overcome your own voice, your own poetry.Music , poetry and art are all connected.

Peace, poetry & power,

Gary Jurechka

• Twisted Heart
    17 years ago

Music inspires me to write poetry. If I am having a problem writing, I usually turn on my stereo. A song is just a poem set to music. I have found myself listening to the words of a song rather than the music its set to, of late. And as its not always the case, I find some very good poetry in songs. The lyrics touch me in a way that mere music cannot. I used to listen to classical music alot of the time, and although I liked it alot, It couldn't bring out the emotion that heart touching lyrics could. This is just my opinion, so thought I'd voice it.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Yeah..poetry and music is much alike