Quick question

• AI
    17 years ago

If I was to severly critisize someones work on this site, I mean with both constructive (positive) and destructive (negative) feedback would you guys and girls take offense to that that? Key word being severly...

• Tara Kay
    17 years ago

no, i wouldnt personally. honest comments are always the best comments for me, it annoys me if i write a bad poem yet people say its "perfect" or "awesome", honesty is always the best policy.
    so, no, i would take offence if you critisize my work because your being honest about how you feel.
    love Tara-Kay, (and feel free to comment on my poems)

• Kaylee
    17 years ago

I would love constructive comments. Feel free to comment on my featured.

• AI
    17 years ago

Cool... just what I wanted to hear... honesty;

First off.. I would never diss an author, I read poetry for poetry. and I never read anything in the author profile, mine are all fake, I'm sure theirs are too. and even if it isn't, I still wouldn't know anything about them. therefore all forms of cussing will be very random. and be a waste of my time. So you don't have anything to worry about.

Second. I thought about where I was supposed to post this post, and I felt this was the best place as we are discussing poetry comments, not begging people to read my stuff. This was in no way a method to get people to as you put it "critique" my work.

I just wanted to know if people would get offended because, if memories serves me correctly, some, alot, of people on this site took criticism way to personally. So thanks to all of you who posted a reply... and Thank god you all agreed with each other, it would have made life hell if you all said something different.

Till next time,
    AI- AI- Anonymous Indefinitely

• Timeless Hopeful
    17 years ago

Why would you want to critique someone negatively or destructively as you said? If you explain why you hate the poem, then it would be constructive.

I would never critique negatively unless it is the truth.

• Kaylee
    17 years ago

Some people are going to make a big deal out of telling them what can be improved but that's because these people have been feeding them one liners all the time.

• Jessica
    17 years ago

yes i probably would.. i dont mind some constructive critism, but i would be very hurt if someone just ripped apart my work.. :)

• AI
    17 years ago

Ismail, good question, and an honest answer... I don't know... Maybe sunny is right I and just want to break rules. j/k Anyway all I can do is hope no one get offended.

And Kaylee, would you like to elaborate on that... Or am I right to assume that you mean some people prefer one liners because they're used to it.

• Kaylee
    17 years ago

You see a lot of people here are probably used to people saying things like "I can relate." or "Great job 5/5" so when somebody comes along and tries to help them learn where their faults are, the writer tends to snap at them because they're used to hearing that they are rgeat when they really aren't.

• simplysarah
    17 years ago

i personally, this doesn't stand for most people, would love a bit of criticism but other might not. i love writing poetry and i believe that a through poet can will want to grow from a person's honest opinion! but i believe a nice comments wouldnt go astray!!!
    ~sarah~

• myshiningstar14
    17 years ago

no because a real poet can take critasism jsut be sure to balance out the positives and negatives otherwise i would have no problem with that.

good luck
    Lissa

• Catherine
    17 years ago

Not sure. It depends on what you say. I would probably argue about it, but I probably wouldn't take offense.

• AI
    17 years ago

Yay so far so good ^_^

• Just That Girl
    17 years ago

i wouldnt take offence.. i'd be more than happy to have a comment different than the normal ones... you know about how much they liked the poem and stuff (no offence).. feel free to comment on my poems =]

• Gary Jurechka
    17 years ago

Criticism is merely one person's opinion.It should be objectively-either this person connects with my poem/feeling/thought, or they don't.It is up to the poet to interpret criticism and how it will affect the poem.I personally won't change something just to get it published, but I am also open-minded enough to look at it with a step back.Our words are not written in stone.I used to receive so much good feedback/comments that it got to the point where I would rather hear what was wrong, what didn't work or connect to the reader.But criticism is a delicate thing-it must be done honestly and tactfully.But is still someone else's opinion.Only the poet/writer really knows.....

Gary Jurechka

• sibyllene
    17 years ago

I definitely wish there were MORE people willing to offer severe criticism. I'm kind of a hypocrite, though - I try to be honest with people's poems, but I don't like to make people feel bad, so I'm not as truthful as I could be.

Maybe there should be a specific thread or club that is designed specifically for harsh and honest (though hopefully constructive) criticism...

• Catherine
    17 years ago

If someone would jsut CRITISIZE me, then I'd be able to answer you. But since no one EVER posts (Not exageration) I cannot answer

• robin milford
    17 years ago

I personally wouldn't take offence but I believe the best thing to do is be honest but never be mean.

• Lu
    17 years ago

Bump (Due to Spam)

• Deana
    17 years ago

Most people who write poetry are good in the use of words ,can`t you give an honest opinion in a considerate way pointing out the good with the bad but doing it in such a way as not to offend. I think its usually good to end with a positive because it is the final thought left with them ,after all we want to encourage better writing not discourage their efforts right?

• Italian Stallion
    17 years ago

bump

• Christie
    17 years ago

i wouldn't have a problem with it.

• amandaa
    17 years ago

I would absolutely and utterly love it.
    As for the sever-negative-ness, I would love it just as much.
    I'd much rather have someone harshing it out on me and telling me every little detail that's crappy on a poem of mine, than a fluffy "keep it up!" comment.
    But also, I would expect the commenter to be open to my arguments.
    not complaints or whines, but if I disagreed with one of your critiques, I should be able to express that without someone claiming I'm whining or being ungrateful;... depending on how I express it.

Get what I'm saying?

• Twisted Heart
    17 years ago

Criticism and critiquing are two different things. It shouldn't be, but it is. I don't mind someone telling me they don't like a poem I wrote as long as they tell me why. I have had people say that I'm trying to write like a famous poet and not come close, but when I write a poem I don't try to copy anyone's style except my own. A lot of people who read my work and like it, knows my style and if I change it, then it throws them. But they tell me what they don't like about it and I'm okay with that. I don't expect everyone to like my poetry, so I have come to expect personal opinions to differ from my own.

I value any honest critique on my poetry. It's what this site is for. I want to improve, so when someone takes the time to tear one of my poems apart and show me my mistakes, then I welcome it.

Happiness
    Jeannie

• ari
    17 years ago

If someone criticized my work, it would depend on which one. If that person criticized a poem or story I'd spent hours putting my thoughts into, I would feels trong resentment. If I knew the poem was crap, and knew that I hadn't really tried, then I'd say "I deserved that. No hard feelins..." But it basically depends on if I agree or not. Sometimes I try people's suggestions, and if they turn out great, then more powers to the critique, but if their criticism and advise was B.S., I'd resent them and their comment even more. So it basically depends if the critique herself/himself put thought into his comment. You have to support what you say. If someone says "It wa sbad", and doesn't explain, I'd delete that comment. So, it basically depends on the person, and the comment.

• mel
    17 years ago

what are peoples fears? i know thats preety random but hey im a random person :)

• emmerz
    17 years ago

well, you want them to improve dont you? and if they didnt want the critisism, they shouldnt have signed up on this website.

• Truest Lies
    17 years ago

I get angry when someone takes what I think is my best poem and off-handedly tears it to pieces... maybe because I realize that everyone else was lying. I like to improve though, and I have matured a lot in the last year, enough to realize that honesty is a scarce and valuable thing. Of course, if someone really shredded my writing and didn't even leave a little note at the bottom of their criticism saying one sort-of-nice thing, I would be disappointed...

//T.L.//

• Unseen Exposure
    17 years ago

do it nicely ... true writers will take criticisms well.

• Stephanie
    17 years ago

For me, I love the honesty because in the end it makes me a better writer.

Stephanie

• melly
    17 years ago

i don't know cos only 3 people have commented on my work but the worst thing is they have all said nice stuff about my poetry

• ABake
    17 years ago

I wouldn't be offended as long as it it constructive. But I have had someone comment, and say that my poems need more "spice" and that they don't like them.

I wouldn't mind if it would help improve or show what I'm doing wrong, but if your going to be negative and what you said wouldn't help me. Then don't even bother reading my work!

xoxo

• Gauraw Patil
    17 years ago

Criticism is certainly very important... But, it should not be in offensive language...

• SomewhereAmongThePieces
    17 years ago

It really depends on the poem.
    Sometimes I don't write because I'm trying to create a masterpiece.
    Sometimes I just want to put my feelings in poem form and I don't want to be criticised.
    I don't know though... my sister rips apart everything I do so I'm used to it- so never mind
    go ahead

• Gem
    17 years ago

I like it when someone is contructive with thier comments but i don't like people who are just plain mean with what they say when they have no idea what they are actually talking about
    *Gem*

• apoet
    17 years ago

If I write a poem that is horrible, then I want to know that it's horrible.

• Romantic Lover
    17 years ago

I appreciate honest feedback. I don't consider myself a poet, I just write from the heart.

• adelinaxx
    16 years ago

Ummm aslong as its not toooo offensive

• claire
    16 years ago

As long as you are just critisizing the poetry, not saying the author is a disgrace to the world or something

• X Kashies Misery X
    16 years ago

No because you are being truthful and honest and let's just face it, life is NOT only filled with fake "oh 5/5 i love it" life isnt filled with fake things and all fake people, you have to tell the truth if it sucks, then it sucks! tell it like it is, its harsh, buts true and the key to life is to always tell it straight up and out how you feel and give reasons why that poem gave you that feeling.....
    - its better to learn and feel hurt then not to learn and still be hurt if u get what i mean
    =]
    ...life sucks