Young or Old

• Normal is the Watchword
    17 years ago

I'm 16 and I don't think people have judged me too much on my age.

-----Kaylee (aka RoadandtheRadio)

• Gary Jurechka
    17 years ago

Actually this was posted under a similiar topic, but it also applies to this, so I am reposting it.

Age doesn't matter.I started writing when I was ten years old(fiction) and then got into poetry in my teens.My early stuff was really terible and sucked, but the more you write the better you get.So don't be too harsh on yourself, you will grow and get better.I was very isolated when I first wrote, the fact that you are on this site is a positive thing.I've read some very impressive stuff by 10 to 15 year olds, so much more advanced and better tyhan I was at that age.Listen to those with experience yet find your own way.Your work will improve.All that matters is the passion to write.And write, write, write.That is the only way to get better.The passion.

Peace, Poetry, & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• BubblyJolie
    17 years ago

I don't think age really matters!!

• Esther
    17 years ago

i dunno, i'm 14 n i only think really tight people mark you down for being old/young!

• BrokenREALiTy
    17 years ago

Age ain`t got nutin` to do with it, but not everyone agrees with that . I`ve been critisized for being 13 . When I got my first poetry site here at 12, people would judge me and sey that I`d be too young to know what love really is . Or they`d sey, "I don`t wanna give yu too much hope since yher so young, but this poem is pretty good." it would really tick me off, but now, I`m just thinking , "Screw them." cuhs` age ain`t a factor in writin` poetry . Anyone can do it .
    I hate it when people judge yu from yher age tho . A couple of my friends' parents wouldn't even bother reading my poetry because i`m 13 . -.-
    ..__MiNDYY

• Gem
    17 years ago

I'm 17 and i've had a wide range of ages read and comment my poetry and i also read a wide range as well.
    As long as the poetry is good, who cares about the age? lol
    *Gem*

• Sondos
    17 years ago

I'm 14 and like somebody said, i was appreciated more. I've had no problems with being so young:)

• ♥ brokendolly ♥
    17 years ago

I'm 17. None of my poetry is on this site for various reasons, but I know someone who's 15 and has poetry published in books!

• donna
    17 years ago

I'm not a teenager anymore.. but there are a lot of excellent young poets, age does not make any difference in my opinion.. A good poem is good whether it is a 10 year old or a 100 year old :]

• Lu
    17 years ago

Bump (Due to Spam)

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Yeah..don't judge according to their age

• Romancing the Darker Side
    16 years ago

I'm 13 and only one person that I remember has judged me on my age and implied that my work was better since I was younger... I don't like it though.

• Tara Kay
    16 years ago

I think age doesn't matter. Personally, i like some of the stuff from the younger writers on here, because it shows how they are learning more every day.
    I am 19 now and when i first started writing, my poems werent very good in my eyes but as with everything prsctive makes perfect and the more you write the better you will become. As you get older, you tend to have more experience in life, and your voabulary increases.

• Romancing the Darker Side
    16 years ago

Scratch my other post, two people have said my work was great and also added in the fact I am 13. Perhaps if I put my age as 40 it would be different? probably not, but either way you shouldn't judge someone by age.

• BlueDreams
    16 years ago

Agree with Sir Gary Jurechka, doesn't matter with age as long as you have to try.

• Cindy
    16 years ago

I'm 17 and i've had a wide range of ages read and comment my poetry and i also read a wide range as well.
    As long as the poetry is good, who cares about the age? lol
    *Gem*

Very true Gem....I read poems from writers of all ages.

Agree with Sir Gary Jurechka, doesn't matter with age as long as you have to try.

So true....all ages have feelings and emotions. sometimes it helps just to let them out through writing. Bert you are always so kind :)

• Kelsie
    16 years ago

Age does not matter, its all about the content of your pieces

• shade127
    16 years ago

I've only been on this site for a short while butI;ve found that someof the younger people write just as well as those who are older. I;ve been very impressed by some of the young writers and their topics are very mature. Age doesn't matter.

• Sweet Fragility
    16 years ago

Agreed. ^

• Shauna
    16 years ago

I think age makes no difference at all. It is your writing that matters not your age!

• Bre Monique
    16 years ago

I don't even think twice about a person's age. I glance at it when looking at someone's profile but I judge a poet on their material not their age.

• Catastrophic Beauty
    16 years ago

I don't think age matters. It's the writing that matters.

• Bre Monique
    16 years ago

^^I like your picture.

• ECILA ice
    16 years ago

Age doesn't matter.. it's your work and how u work on it...

• bianca
    16 years ago

Your age shouldn't matter, in regards to your poetry. There are many great poets on this site, who will judge your poetry fairly. My opinion? I started getting on this site when i was either 13 or 14 and i had an immature attitude,so therefor i had many prolbems, but i learned that if you can act like a mature civilized person, then you will be respected.
    <3
    Bianca
    *advice...dont type 'lik dis wn u r typin cuz it aint cool' ...and its really hard to read..

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I dont think age is important, its the poem that you are reading xx

• Deana
    16 years ago

I usually don`t know a poets age until after I read them and have already commented on them. Sometimes to be honest you can tell someone is young by their poems just because their youth and inexperience in life may show through but that is not a bad thing ,it can be refreshing at times.

• X l i l T a n i X
    16 years ago

It realy doesnt matter how old you are .. i reacon you can write poems however age you are whether your old or young

• Corinne
    16 years ago

Whenever I rate or critique a poem, I try to take into account the writer's age or experiences in life, or experience as a writer. I would never mark a member down for being young. And there are plenty of new writers who are older/adults who haven't been writing long at all. So, I often gauge accordinlgy.

That being said, sometimes I prefer the writing on older members. But as many of you have said, many times it doesn't matter how old the writer is. It's what they have to say that is important - and how they say it.

• Vane
    16 years ago

Age really doesnt matter...im 17 and ive been writing since like 12

• ari
    16 years ago

It's hard to say. People give a lot of attention to younger writers, I think. I've gotten many comments exclaiming over my age. But if you are older and write well, or if you're younger, it doesn't really matter. Talent shouldn't be measured with age.

• ASHLY
    16 years ago

CREATIVITY KNOWS NO AGE.....I DONT KNOW WHERE I HEARD THAT...BUT IF UR GONNA BE BRILLIANT ITS JUST GONNA HAPPEN....IF PEOPLE JUDGE UR WORK BY UR AGE THEN THEY ARE DISCRIMINATING N TO ME NOT REAL ARTIST...U CANT PUT AN AGE LEVEL ON THE VALUE OF BRILLIANT ARTISTRY.........

• Karl Wild GG23
    16 years ago

Age has somewhat an affect on what you know or write but it has no ability in the way you can write thats all up to you. I've read poems by 50 year olds that are just terrible and some by 14 year olds that blew me away. It just comes down to how you express your love and emotions and if you can relay them through writing, some people have the gift and others need to work at it. Don't let age hold you back from chasing your dreams. GG23

• ChAsInG PavEmEnTs
    16 years ago

Well i'm not that much older than you at all i'm 14 and i get just as much credit for my work as an older person does, honestly i probably get more credit from older ppl, i don't think your age matters

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

People have no right to judge you on your age...
    after all age is only a number you are labelled with when you are born.. nothing more nothing less...

I think people younger or older can be inspirational in many ways..

=]xx

• Rachel
    16 years ago

No age doesnt really matter, usually people can make a good guess as to what age you are by your writing but starting young is the best way to go, you can only get better. and people on here dont seem to judge by age, your poetry speaks for itself. Keep writing!

• Christina
    16 years ago

Im 14 and i have different ppl look at my poems....and theyve nvr said i just think your too young...and ive read older ppls work and its just has good....ne one can write a poem if they wanted to!

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

The way you write is the only thing that should matter.

Some people are more gifted at 15 than adults at 50, & vice versa.

Age isn't important.

• fearose
    16 years ago

I'm 15 and I seem to get a lot of respect. I don't think age does matter. Just be yourself. I joined when I was 14. I was part of a club where I was the youngest member. Nobody cared though. I find it kind of hard to critique poems from older members because I feel less superior. I'm getting over it slowly though. Everyone appreciated feedback and I don't think anyone cares if you're young or not.

• X l i l T a n i X
    16 years ago

I dont think it matters what age u are