Street poets VS. Academic poets

• Gary Jurechka
    17 years ago

This is a multi-topic question.
    First who do you admire/are influenced by most- street poets or academic poets?Or Both?

The academic poets seem to me more concept oriented-fancy words(sacrificing thought over emotion), etc. while the street poets have always depicted more real life-more emotion.I consider myself somewhere in between as I have more of a street poets sense of life yet still an academic use of language sometimes.

Examples of academic poets:
    Walt Whitman
    Robert Frost
    T.S. Elliot
    Emerson
    Poe(?)
    (annd archaic poets)
    Shkespeare
    Byron
    Shelley
    Blake

Street Poets:
    Jim Carroll(the best street poet)
    Charles Bukowski
    Michael Madsen(yes, the actor)
    Rod McKuen(more confessional)

and the inbetweens:
    Jim Morrison(of the Doors- (3 books of poetry)
    Erica Jong
    David Berman

and also a third group-the songwriter poets

Bob Dylan(no doubt his lyrics are poetry)
    Michael Stipe(of R.E.M.)-again abstract and poetic
    Fish(Derek William Dick of the band Marillion-his lyrics are definitely poetic)
    Paul Simon
    Patti Smith(the female punk poetress)
    Tupac Shakur
    Pink Floyd
    Trent Reznor(of Nine Inch Nails)
    Tori Amos
    John Lennon
    etc.

So what type of poet do yopu consider yourself?
    What are your feelings on academic versus street poetry versus lyric poetry?What are your thoughts on the different types/styles?

Myself, I think I fall somewhere in between the two, which is where I'd rather be, as I am equally impressed and inspired by writers from both camps (though I tend to lean more toward the street poets).

Gary Jurechka

• Cory Mastrandrea
    17 years ago

I don't know. I don't try to be either way. I just try to write. Whatever comes out whether it be in all of those categories, one, or none, I just try to make it good.

• Robert Gardiner
    17 years ago

I am a combination of both, but I lean more towards the academic poet than the street poet as of my own liking and they are a bigger influence upon me. I like academic poets more, partly, because they can really make use of language, because they show, bring about, the beauty, grace, and elegance of language. I admire the eloquence with which they wrote and strive to write with the same eloquence. They had the ability to create artful beauty with and through their words and they did as such, many times, and having a high appreciation for beauty, as I do, I appreciate their poetry. Streets poets, they sometimes get too rough for me, too raw, focusing on heavy (bring down) topics. I myself am a fan of the more lighthearted street poet - the kind of poet that can look at how f^ck upped the world is and all the Sh*t within it and do it in a way where the reader is feeling empowered by the knowledge just imparted upon them, for now that they are informed about the issue, problem, they can try to do something about it, instead of being left feeling down and uninspired by somberness and heavy weight they are left feeling by the read. I like, also, the lighthearted (funny) street poet - the intentionally over the top to bring a rise out of you slam type street poet. I like energy and empowerment in my street poet, personality, humor, and a bit of ego (arrogance) sometimes. I like my street poet with a bit of bravado (swagger), also with a bit of humor, and street poets with the will, words, to inspire us towards better things. As a poet myself, I write with the vibrancy, vivacity, of the street, and the eloquence, elegance, grace, of the formally trained. Now, personally, my street style is lighthearted, brash, gregarious, flamboyant, flashy, and full of fun, but what I appreciate most is the grace within my tongue. Describing my own poetry (poetic style), I would say that I'm part classical, part street, part William Shakespeare, part Muhammad Ali.

• Robert Gardiner
    17 years ago

bumped

• Noir
    17 years ago

I believe that both of them bring great works to the equation, what street poets lack in academia, they make up for hard life experiance, and vice versa.

I believe both of these poetic styles, while always be fighting, never to reach a final K.O.

• Shædow Poet
    17 years ago

I agree with JHarrison, as some of the work of Shakespeare contained merely language of the time. That's just an example, even though he was educated. It can be said by many poets of previous centurys.

I believe that the 'best' poets out there (those who manage to be original yet fluent) can be a combination of two. Writing about life experiences, however using complex lexicons and ambiguity to create an original set of poetry.

• Kelsie
    16 years ago

I definatley admire all types of poets, which type can i relate to more, probably the in betweens and the songwriter poets. i love phish, pink floyd, bob dylan, the doors,john lennon and i think all of their pieces are just simply amazing. i think all of the styles have their own type of beauty and none of them are bad at all, it just depends what you like. : )

• Alyssa Marie
    16 years ago

First off, you rock for putting Trent up there because he is just... ..Amazing. I admire street poets for their sense of reality in the ruralness and the academic poets for.. well, quite the obvious reasons ^.^ I probably started off a sucky academic poet, then driften off to street writer. After experiencing both, I'd figure you can't look at two massively different forms of art with equally great effort in them and decide to compare what's better. They're both from the heart, the way I look at it ..but the academic poets just put things maybe ..more.. ...literate? I guess? As for me, I've probably brushed up on my academic poetry at least a tad bit by now =]

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Street poetry i think! maybe..im not sure