if a poem doesnt rhyme and seems like a story is it a poem or no

• Santana
    17 years ago

I was just wondering on this site i tend to write poems that are really long but dont rhyme and are more like stories would they still count as poems or not.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    17 years ago

Go read some epics, I believe they are called poems, that don't rhyme and tell a story, then come back and answer your own question. Homer, Virgil, Milton.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    17 years ago

Better yet, look up the word poetry. You'll find out it comes from the word poesy, which was used not in reference to just what we call consider poetry today, a stylistic verse that often times rhymes and can be short. Poesy was used to refer to all verse, and writing. There is a great essay to read by I think Phillip Sydney on "The Defense of Poesy."

• Marjan
    17 years ago

Sometimes, the poem rhymes better
    without being rhyming at all.
    the words rhyming with eachother,
    that only makes a poem prettier.
    the poem must rhyme with reality.

• Jamie Lorraine
    17 years ago

What ever you write is always counted as a poem as long as you get your feelings out

• Nick who Plays Pool
    17 years ago

It doesn't have to rhyme it doesn't mean it's niot a poem. It depends on how you organize it. If you write it from left to write like the way I'm typing now it's not really a poem. It has to be split of into lines and stanza's usually with commas at pauses in a line.

• Lori Lee
    17 years ago

Yes, a poem doesn't have to rhyme in order to be a poem. and besides, that's what poems really are anyways...stories

• Tracy D Rollings
    17 years ago

Hi, I do the same thing with my poems,but everyone seems to like what I do.

• XxSaved By LovexX
    17 years ago

Yes.. it doesnt matter if it rhymes or not it is still considered a poem.. like a lot of mine dont rhyme but i still consider them poems.. it doesnt matter if it rhymes or not.. just as long as you get your point accross and thats all a poem is.. a story... just told differently

• Choose xX Alex Xx Life
    17 years ago

Me dunnoooooooooooo......

• BREEawNUHH
    17 years ago

I think that all poems are stories, to some extent. Poems and stories do the same thing. They tell you about something. As most people know, there are stories about anything and everything. There are poems about anything and everything, also. Just my take on this, of course.

• Tracy D Rollings
    17 years ago

Most of my poems tell stories of my life and what i lived.

• ImmortalKitty
    17 years ago

I always tell people, that what makes a poem seperate from a story is the emotions, the way the poem flows like a song our a linguring dream. I recomend you read some of Lord Byrons work and think on it.

• Molly
    17 years ago

I think that it's a poem, it doesn't have 2 rhyme!

• AlaSkA
    17 years ago

FREEEE VERSE!

• Christie
    17 years ago

Well fine. i'll be diff to all of u.

i DESPISE 'poems' that are just a block of text with no rhyming. people love to say they're poems, but they're not.

poems have structure, and flow.

• Marc Ortiz
    17 years ago

Its free verse style :P (I think)

• I will love you Forever and not a day less
    17 years ago

Anything can be counted as a poem, cuz everthing you say is like a poem and a quote.......

• Debbie
    17 years ago

It's called a prose poem, I suppose.

• adelinaxx
    16 years ago

Nah that absolutely fine =]

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I would say that if you intended it to be a poem then its a poem, if you intended it to be a story its a story. your the creater of it you get to decide what it ios honey xxxxxxxx

take kare xxxxx

• ari
    16 years ago

One of my close friends told me that I wrote like I'm telling a story. But then I thought 'What is a poem but a story?' If it doesn't rhyme it's fine. And if it tells a story, even better. rhyming is just a way to make it sound better. It doesn't really need to help you get your feelings out. I write better when I don't have to worry about rhyming.

• Mary Rose
    16 years ago

When u write a poem it doesn't rily have to rhyme all the tym... its okei... rhyming makez a poem sounds gud though... but its alryt if it doesn't... =)

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Well..it think it doesn't matter if it doesn't rhyme the important things that you wrote it with your feelings

• shade127
    16 years ago

Of course it is!

• Viola
    16 years ago

Poems don't have to rhyme. actually a lot of mine don't. it's nice to be able to write anything you want without limitations..free style is great. so of course it's considered a poem.

• Katrina
    16 years ago

Sure i guess i mean its just writing so write!

• StarvingForPerfection
    16 years ago

Poems dont always have to rhyme