How do you end a poem off just right?

• Bre Monique
    16 years ago

Writing poems are usually easy for me except when I get to the end...I never know exactly how to end it, what words to use, and how to end it with that "extra touch"

When you end your poems does it come naturally or do you struggle with how to make it "just right" as well?

• Tara Kay
    16 years ago

I like to end with something meaningful, i dont think it comes naturally, i find it hard to get that last line or two right, but i re-write it until it sounds perfect.
    It takes practice and patience

• XichabodX
    16 years ago

It's natural to not know how to end the poems. the better they are the harder they tend to be. sometimes if you keep something constant in the poem, u can change it and wrap it up like that.

• Meet Me On Thames Street
    16 years ago

I have trouble ending poems too. I'm not sure why and i still haven't figured out a way to fix it or anything. But usually i just try and rewrite it till its the best i can get it.

• silvershoes
    16 years ago

I try to tie poems off by summing the poem up OR bringing the poem back to its beginning.

• Colourful Mind
    16 years ago

I do find it hard to end some of my poems but the more i write the easyer it comes

• tara
    16 years ago

I also think its hard to end sometimes my poem but just a minute ago I felt well this is the end of my poem.

• njabulo b
    16 years ago

I also have that problem, i find it hard to ends a poem sometimes

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Sometimes..

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

It depends on the poem. Usually I like to end on a note of hope, or something to wrap up the message/emotion of the poem. But I favor the type of ending that carries a 'kick'-that makes you just go 'whoa!', perhaps something unexpected or obscure, or something to make the reader think or feel, but something with power. Something that will affect the reader in some way, yet stay consistent with the vision and meaning of the poem. A poet (& friend) I collaborated with in the '90's, John Sweet, wrote the most powerful, unexpected endings I've ever seen (for examples check some of the collaboration pieces we did together posted with my poems-a couple like 'dousing the fire' & 'poet discovers crucifixion', 'Lies Told Twice', 'poem for a sky that should have been'). There are many ways to end a poem, just find what works best for the poem.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

I agree with Gary...

My favorite poems are the type that have a complete, unexpected twist in the last few lines that make the reader want to go back and read the whole poem over again.

• Prophecies In Kodak
    16 years ago

I usually leave something unsaid.. to make you wonder at the end of my poems.
    Or for instance, something that kind of kicks you off your high horse. Like a line at the end of one of my poems, "Jesus couldn't do a damn thing to save you."

For some reason.. People were really into that. Or maybe it's the fact I'm always rude to someone in my poems. =P either way, I think leaving the reader to wonder if a good way.