Repetition

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Does anyone else get bothered when you look at someone's poetry and it's all the same genre and it's all the same style?

personally i can't stand it when someone stays in one or two genres, for example if someone writes only love and sad poems. am i alone when i say hey, give me something different for a change?

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

Yes.

No, just kidding. Eh, people write what they know. Or, at least, what they can know through imagining. People will naturally gravitate towards certain subjects, I suppose, but it's nice to see them trying to branch out. For me, I don't just encounter "poetical" ideas in one or two genres. Poetry permeates my life, and it's just sort of a different lens through which I see the world, so it doesn't stick to a certain style or subject. But even then, I have my areas, ya know?

So basically, I just tried to come down on both sides of the line. As usual.

• Corinne
    16 years ago

I don't care if people write about the same theme - As long as it's good writing. I had a friend who has since passed away, who wrote beautiful unrequited love songs. Most of the 500 - yes 500 songs she wrote, were about the same theme and she was endlessly creative, and each song was unique and special.

• NearlyCrazy6
    16 years ago

Sometimes it does. and sometimes it doesn't
    I have a few diff types...but alot of times i write about some of the same stuff
    Its just when people do when they are having a hard time with something

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Half of my poems are for real and half are stuff i made up.

you want my honest opinion, no caps allowed, if you don't travel into the unknown realm of your creativity then what's the point. if you leave that vast creative center alone then what is the gain.

you may be a good poet or a lowsy one, i don't know and it's not for me to decide. but youll never be a great poet unless you really fall in love with all that you can do, unless you take yourself over that edge then you'll never be great

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I'm sorry runaway but if you'd like to compare poem types, awards, and ratings i'd be most happy to.

• Oceansoul
    16 years ago

There's not always a reason to change , if someone is really good at a certain genre or poetry format,then why change?
    it's of course always good to try new things

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I'm doing pretty good writing my "fantasy" and obviously at least a few people agree with me on how if all you write is cut, cut, cut then eventually people who were once interested won't be.

you can get mad if you want but i have atleast one poem in pretty much every genre and i get praised for it.

oh and it ain't fantasy. i've written about heroes, villains, wars, politics, love, sadness, inspirational, fight poems, graduation, wedding, independence day, patriotic, winter poems, fall poems, spring poems, friendship, death, murder, laments, requiems, sonnets, poems about places, science fiction, horror, and the list goes on and on

what all do you write about? probably not even half my list and personally i think creativity is one of the deciding factors of good poetry

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I've seen your list, it's pretty much all love, sad, explicit.

how creative

you may have a higher voting rae but that's because you write what the majority of this site reads. love, and sadness

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

1. Actually i never said you HAVE TO change i said it's annoying, get your facts straight and grow up out of this complaining state

2. don't curse

3. i can't stand people who whine and complain about how hard they have it. i'm not even going to preach for kids in other countries, but i will say that you could be sold into prostitution by age ten like in thailand.

4. look if you have a lot of bad things going for you then why don't you just get over it. rise above all your tragedies and become better than your mom.

5. you won't do anything i said because you're enjoying your little pitty party. grow up

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Oh wow i'm a loser, whew boy i feel the sting now.

i think i put up a more convincing argument and some sound advice so take it or leave it but that advice is 24k gold

• Gem
    16 years ago

People write what they know and what they are comfortable with.
    For example, i tend to write a variety of different poems. But i have never been very good at fantasy poems. So i don't write them.

If you don't like it, don't read them. Thats why they're are different catagories, so you can search for what you want.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

I get it a lot of bad things happened to you, now why don't you join the several millions of other people who have it bad

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Perfect life eh? try this on for size:

my mom attempted suicide a few years ago, writing her last words on separate sheets of paper for everyone in the family, i still haven't read mine. my parents separated two years ago and i had to see my mom off on the greyhound bus station, crying i held her in my arms singing "you are my sunshine"

my eyesight is getting bad, i can't do things like drive a car, i've been completely blind twice before and you really appreciate what you're given after walking around blind for a few days

i have a hole in my heart so i cannot serve my country in the armed forces

i was especially cruel to a few people who needed me but i turned my back on them.

no one's life is perfect, "be nice to everybody because everybody is have a hard time"

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Before you stick your finger in someone's face think about what you're going to say, it's evident with all your cursing and slandering that you don't

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

Funny, i've never had anything bad come back to haunt me out of all those events so maybe your thoughts are biased

• Gem
    16 years ago

Please stop with the whole "My dad chopped off his hand." "YEah well my dad chopped off his head" things and just stick to the topic. I stand by what i previously posted

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

To the original poster: That's awesome that you can write about so many topics... that shows that you're intelligent and can expand on many different views and ideas. More power to ya!

However, I mainly write poems that fall in the sad/love category.... Ha, what am I saying? ALL of my poems are in those two categories.

I write in those sections because those are the topics I can relate to, and it is therapeutic for me to write about certain experiences. It is kind of my release.... and that IS my gain in the end.

Maybe someday I will branch out though. :)

• RobinAnn13
    16 years ago

It only bothers me if you have poems being so close to the same that other than the name change you can hardly tell the difference. I could probably branch out but most/all of my poems are in the sad/love/dark categories. I might try something different eventually but I seem to be doing the best staying in that area.^-^

• Chemically Corrupted
    16 years ago

It bothers me because everyone has a poem that has to deal with thier sister dying

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

But what if you request they read a poem and in return they tell you to read like five poems that are all the same?

• Munequita
    16 years ago

It does get boring reading and writing the same genre all the time u have 2 switch it up and experiment

• Robert Gardiner
    16 years ago

I personally write in a couple of genres and with a certain style. I am a Romantic/Erotic poet. although i do write funny, humorous poems, on occasion, but at my core I am a romantic poet. You write what you are a lot of the time, and I am a romantic, with a humorous side, so writing romantically and erotically just comes naturally for me, and there are sometimes I just want to be irreverant and funny.

• Lethmelodis
    16 years ago

At times it can be bothersome, but its understandable to. Personally, I've spent the majority of my time writing dark/unexplained typed poetry, and, while I liked it, I realized you can only expand upon an emotion as far as it will take you - if that makes any sense. So I now write about other emotions and things as they roll along in hopes of improveing.

Don't know if that made any sense.

• Independence Forever
    16 years ago

It made perfect sense

• Brittany
    16 years ago

I think it's childish to fight over this. And I'm not aiming this comment at the original poster, it's more to the person you were arguing with.

Everyone is here to write poetry, whether it be good or bad, or all in one genre. I tend to write in only a couple genres, and I have to admit, it frustrates me, because I really want to do something new.

Then again, if it honestly bothers you, try to just read from poets that have more variety.