Wrighting the title first or last

• Johnnys Medicine
    16 years ago

I personally dont like to wright the title first. it makes it hard for me to wright the rest of the poem, because ill try to focus on making the poem centered on that title which makes the poem have less focus on feeling and truth.

what do you like usually like to do and why?

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

Mmm it depends..

If I don't have any ideas, then I write a random title first. It kind of directs me & then the poem comes out from there.

But if I have the idea of the poem first, then I write the whole thing & come up with a title later.

• Lauren Waszkiewicz
    16 years ago

Most of the time i write the title and the poem comes to me, then i end up changing the title. =D

• RobinAnn13
    16 years ago

I do the same thing as TinyDancer ^.^

• Alex D
    16 years ago

I usually choose the title last, unless i come up with a title and then write a poem based on the subject the title entails.

• Melpomene
    16 years ago

I always write the poem first then come up with a title when i'm finished. Unless i'm participating in contests on this site. Then I work from the titles.

• fearose
    16 years ago

It depends for me. Sometimes I'll accidently write a poem either in my stories or a conversation [yes, this has happened to me] and then I'll have to come up with a title but usually I just come up with the poem idea and then write a title and then write the poem.

• Red CSIII
    16 years ago

Titles are like introductions,

They make no sense unless there is something to introduce.

That's why I'd rather finish the piece first.

• Beautiful Chaos
    16 years ago

As a general rule, unless I am doing a titled contest, I never start with the title.

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

I like to write the poem first and give it a title after... it becomes harder to write if you give it a title to begin with.. if you dont you have a wider option to write about... =]
    xxx

• The Angel of Secrets
    16 years ago

Start with the poem.

• Kelsie
    16 years ago

Yeah i usually write the title after im done with a piece, i think if u write the title before it kind of limits you in a way, because ill try and (like you said) make it centered around that one idea, if you write the poem first it gives you way more options.

• Mellowsecret
    16 years ago

I usually do it both ways. If I can think of a title before I start writing I use it unless I get to the end and it doesn't fit it anymore.
    If I can't think of a title I just keep on writing and then think of one to fit or just take a phrase out of the poem itself.

• Dan
    16 years ago

Normally if I'm writing on Word I'll write the poem then come up with a title but if I'm on the site and just feel something like a word that stands out I just use it and go with it

• FountainsOfBlood
    16 years ago

Wow, im odd!
    reading through all the posts, everyone seems to write them last and start the poem first.

on the other hand, i prefer to write titles first, as it gives a sort of idea of what you're about to write. then again, it also depends on the type of poem you write too... or what order ideas come to you: title or poem

yeah but i like being odd XD

• Andrew Reed
    16 years ago

If the words do go together there must be every type i suppose
    i compose
    in linear rows
    but who else knows