Big words, haha

• lish
    16 years ago

Ok i have alot of troubble using "big words" and rhyming them, any suggestions??

thanks.

• Tammie
    16 years ago

There's an online site for rhyming. When I get stuck, I use it, it's great. :]

http://www.rhymer.com/

For 'big words' use a thesaurus.

Hope that helps. :]

• Pete
    16 years ago

Good suggestion put forward there by Tammie, think of the word you want to use then use a thesaurus to find a bigger word (If necessary). Then all you have to do is find a word to rhyme with it.

I'd like to point out though, using bigger words doesn't always add value to a poem. Use a larger word if you are looking to improve your vocab or if the word fits better into the context of the poem ... not just to make yourself sound smarter in your poems.

~Pete.

• Corinne
    16 years ago

Don't use big words just for the sake of using big words - There's nothing that's more of a turn-off for me than someone using words when they barely know what they mean! Read read read - Learn new words. And you'll find that they'll become part of your normal vocabulary

• PygmyPuff
    16 years ago

Honestly big words will come to you, but if you have to force yourself into getting them into your poem, the reader can sense this "force-a-bil-ity" and it ruins the overall flow

=D

• Rob Matt
    16 years ago

I hate big words, i dont understand them

• ASPHYXIATED
    16 years ago

You can re-structure your sentence so it rhymes but still has "big words".

But a poem doesn't need "big words" to be good.
    Nor does it need to rhyme.

Use what words best express you. :]

• SilentRebuke
    16 years ago

I agree with the others, don't force your poems or your rhymes, that can ruin a poem quicker than anything else. I am guilty of having that "forced" factor too often.
    Also, if you are comfortable with a big word that you would like to use, try to rhyme it with a smaller word, it makes a nice pace, and keeps it from sounding egotistical or TOO wordy.

• ilu
    16 years ago

I do too, sometimes...here's a tip...try to find another meaning to that word that rhymes with your previous word....

• kevin Boundy AKA the ghost
    16 years ago

Im great understanding big words but rhyming them is hard but i go to a website called rhymezone.com and i use it all the time

• c 0 n f u s e d
    16 years ago

I cant help u with dat! we have the same prob >.<

• TwistedAngel xx
    16 years ago

Try and use words you know dont try and use big words if u dont know the meaning
    your poems will look more real.
    and they have the rhyming thing here now which should help ya heaps
    xx

• Vix
    16 years ago

Only ever use big words if needs be. The more you use words, not just big ones, but any, the more comfortable you'll become with them. Just keep reading, writting and learning. Its easier to rhyme big words when you know a million of them ;)

• Lori
    15 years ago

I suggest reading more...thats how I learned big words :)

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

LOL, this reminds me of my favorite teacher. He always blew kisses to us. He didn't want to kiss, but it told us to "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID". IMAO, he was great. His whole philosophy is if you can't pull of a long sentence, then make your point with many small sentences because your thought will come out crisp and clear. Also, if you are not sure of the meaning of the word, then use a word you know the meaning of. The thought is more important then the complexity, and as you read and write more often, you'll become more familiar with sentence structure and will have a larger vocabulary to choose from.

• adriaan
    15 years ago

Start simple. If you want complex words you'll expand your vocabulary over time. But it's not essential to use complex words. Sometimes the unique poems are the short and simple ones.

• David
    15 years ago

I think she wants big words now! such demanding, short words are where you start but by the end we are all craving the long and distinguished words....

tammie knows what she is talking bout. :)

DJ

• Invited
    15 years ago

Go online for rhyming or just think of shorter words even if they have less syllables it still partly rhymes.