People are ruining the meaning of poetry.

• David Marshall
    13 years ago

Poetry is not a matter of challenge or creativity. It really makes me angry when i see written all over this site the contests of how well u can make a poem around a list of titles or songs. or even having to make a poem in a certain format. its dumb, demeaning, and completely disregards the reason people should be writing poetry in the first place. Poems are suppose to be a written piece of art to express YOUR personal emotions and a reflection of your personality and life. Creating a poem based on titles and songs is only showing how creative you are and your capability for the use of vocab. and i believe certain formats or ways to display your stanzas or sentenced is a severe limitation to your ability to express your true emotions. All my poems are written because i need to get my emotions off my chest. just wanted to point this out. BTW i never see a contest for just good poetry. its always title.

• Italian Stallion
    13 years ago

So you mean to tell me famous poets such as Shakespeare didn't write 'real' poetry? A majority of his work was formed poetry e.g. Sonnets

Take a ponder at what your saying there mate...just because it's a form doesn't mean it's not poetry or that the person is 'ruining' the true meaning of poetry.

Poetry, poets, poems, etc. all have several meanings/definitions. Just because you perceive it one way doesn't mean that it's the right way, it's just your opinion just as this is mine.

• Sunshine
    13 years ago

Poetry is not a matter of challenge or creativity.

>>what? Though I respect your opinion but I dont have to agree, poetry Is all about creativity..
    How its not a challenge? when you have to pen down your feelings in a poetic way ?

or else it will be more like notes.

so it is a challenge , and it is a matter of creativity when we all know you have to use ur creative side to mix what you feel with poetic images and lines.

thats for the 1st point

2nd Im some one emotional , what ever poem I write must be about a personal experience or any emotional state am going through..and when you are given a title or a song or a quot u tend to choose the one that rings a bell, one that you can relate you, or even move your feelings:

I have done many contests and won some,
    and each title I chose moved feelings inside of me, which I wrote a poem about..

its that much simple.
    Trust me, that's what poetry is about.

• sibyllene
    13 years ago

It's hard to say, definitively, what poetry is about.

For myself, the majority of the poems that I have aren't things where I sat down, determined to just "write a poem." They're moments that just happen. Like you, (OP) I tend to avoid writing in strict forms, etc. But, you know what I've been discovering? Those cute little contests actually, surprisingly, put me into a poetic mindset. If there's a contest that I'm kind of ruminating about, it reopens my eyes to all the moments I could be trying to capture. Plus, personally, I've been in quite a slump for a couple years. It's amazing how your poetry takes a dive when you run out of angst in your life : ). Those occasional contests keep the brain working, help keep my eyes open, and help keep me in that poetic mindset, even if I'm just writing tankas and acrostics.

• Jad
    13 years ago

Everyone so far has given basically what I believe on this and that is yes formats and forms show creativity but there fun to do. We all write a poem that is heart filled every once in awhile and speaks our true emotions loud and clear. We shouldn't as poets limit ourselves to just venting out our emotions. I don't think people are ruining the meaning of poetry, they are simple extending the boundary of what you can do in it ,which poets have been doing for generations.

• Nicko
    13 years ago

I think we all understand what you are saying, and it's probably made us question our motives, well it has me. Sibs gave the answer that best describes it for me, (though I'm known to follow her around), I will also add that it helps hone your skills, also opening you up to constructive criticism and how others perceive your work. It may even make us better poets.. :P

So it's only pluses all round

• sibyllene
    13 years ago

Where have you gone, David Marshall? Do you have any follow-up thoughts?

• kmx210
    13 years ago

Poetry no matter form or not is creativity and some form of emotion, when i write poetry i dont just write off of my emotions or experiences. I write from others and just put myself in their shoes. A contest is a refreshing and amazing thing. I as a writer want to elevate my skills to another level, writing poetry helps me write songs as well. Reading other peoples works of formed poetry not only is a breathe fresh air, it also feeds my soul and mind. How does the ruin poetry? I dont mean to be mean but it sounds like your insecure. Try joining a contest maybe you will see things differently buddy. thats just my opinion

• Katy
    13 years ago

My opinion is poetry is whatever the poet wants it. Yes it has to do with creativity. but what one person might think is creative someone else might not. I believe its all about the poet.

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

If poetry is only about expression to you, then does that mean you don't see the beauty and meaning of the poetry? If you fail to see that creativity and form are just as important as expression, then I believe you don't know what poetry is. You can't write poetry without creativity, expression, and format. You have to blend them all together to create the art. And if you still fail to see this then how can you call yourself a poet? While I respect your point of view, I still must attempt to make my voice clear.

• Amreen
    12 years ago

Well yes if people are new or have to follow a deadline, they end up writing meaningless poems...

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

Well, David, I don't know whether you expected the outpour of protest you got. I understand that for you poetry fills a special need and allows you to express yourself in such a way that it becomes nearly a sacred experience. I understand that having such deep feelings about the very process makes you feel that contrived contests and seemingly arbitrary structures profanes what should be a profound art form.

Yet, just as Hemingway methodically plunked himself down every morning to write prose, so too do some poets write from a sense of professionalism. The work they put out, as Joe mentioned, form the basis for culture and civilization.

When you begin to learn a craft, you perform drills and exercises designed to familiarize yourself with the type of work required in that area. With this site many members are learning a craft. Challenging them to write tankas or etherees about specific themes allows them to polish their ability to express themselves in creative and meaningful language. That process does not remove the profundity of the medium, it simply aids people in becoming more proficient.

Admittedly much of these contests result in entries that are trite; on the other hand, many other entries are inspired works. For myself, as with Rania (Ms Sunshine), a title or a theme gives me the chance to delve into my past and capture a significant moment or feeling and express it for all time. Contests force me to indulge in writing even though I feel I have no time to do so. The poem may even start out on a triviality, but it quickly hits a nerve that takes me into a different place, often bringing clarity, closure or awe to me for having been there.

Try a few contests, see if what everyone is telling you isn't true. It won't demean your experience and may actually enhance it.

• girl
    12 years ago

I don't think you have the right to judge what is and isn't poetry ? You're way isn't the "right" way. People do the title contests for entertainment, or at least that's why I do it. There are many different types of poetry and just as many ways to writing it. I don't think it's fair for you to say other's are ruining it. PLUS I don't even think it's possible for any ONE person or group of people to "ruin" poetry.

• girl
    12 years ago

Sorry I know my response was a little harsh. I know you didn't mean to offend anyone. We are all entitled to our opinions and I wanted to ensure that you knew I wasn't trying to attack you or anything.

• Moonlit Candles
    12 years ago

My opinion in this matter is there is different types of poetry. I write poetry do to my feelings. Whatever it might be what I'm feeling at the time. Now when it come to the deeper part of poetry, I feel it is (real) poetry. Poetry comes from your heart in that way. But contests and all are people just having fun with their creative minds. But my true definition of poetry would be from the heart. So I see where your coming from David.

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    12 years ago

Poetry is poetry. I've never entered a contest in my life, but I still like to challenge myself. I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here do the same thing, too. I'm also sure they apply emotion before they apply logic or reason.

• Decayed
    12 years ago

If you're writing about your personal experiences, then those are what we call 'inspiration'.

Titles are the same. They ripple your turbid inspiration, thus helps your waters leap.

• Celtic Warrior
    12 years ago

Folks..i honestly think you scared him off lolol

• Dark
    12 years ago

I quite understand you .. but the thing is people have different opinion .. they have different ways of expressing themselves .. if they think its a "contest" then so be it.. it will give no harm to you ..

i my self thinks its a part of soul.. a part of soul that we write using a pen ..

if you disagree with their motive , just keep it to your self and respect them :)

good day

• Mello193
    12 years ago

I think all poetry is relevant. so many people draw from so many places, there's never been restriction on art. and that goes for criticism as well. that's how art evolves.