Weekly Contest Winners - September 24, 2018!

• Poet on the Piano
    5 years ago

A little early, but wanted to post this before the busy week starts! We have emotional pieces this week, emotional in different ways. Starting with Mr. Darcy’s passionate and fiery piece “More than love”, then reflecting on the terror and impact 9/11 still has on our country with Brenda’s piece, and the incredibly personal yet hard to overcome reality of struggling with body image and eating by Trampled Angel. All three of you really shared a voice of your own with PnQ, and I want to say congratulations and thank you for sharing these pieces. It looks like quite a few judges were in agreement! Congratulations to all of our honorable mentions, especially dear Andrea who had two different poems highlighted. Thank you to our judges of course and hope everyone has a safe, wonderful start to their week!

-MA

WINNERS:

“More than love” by: Mr Darcy 10 + 7 + 4 = 21 points

“Terror never forgotten 09/11/01” by: Brenda 10 + 7 + 4 = 21 points

“In this, my Skin” by: Trampled Angel 10 + 4 = 14 points

COMMENTS:

“More than love” by: Mr Darcy

“I'm not one who is normally a fan of short poems, as I feel they don't convey as much of a story as I need to captivate me. Yet this poem by Mr. Darcy completely captured my attention. For such a small piece it has both beginning, middle and end and perhaps another beginning?

Love is a beautiful thing but between two people love can dwindle without passion. Between parents and children the love you share is different to that of lovers. Between lovers there has to be a fire, a spark and that inferno. A very fiery and passionate work of brilliance.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“A real satisfying piece which stuck in my head as soon as I read it. It goes to show that love is about the little things too not just those big gestures that some people seem to think - love quite simply doesn't switch on and off, it's a constant thing in times of happiness and those of need too, which I think Mr. Darcy was trying to say although there was a different interpretation of which I could see in the comments. It may be short but it's definitely sweet and eye opening.” (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“I really liked this short, but poignant piece of writing. A nice rhyme scheme of eight syllable count with each line, brings a nice beat to the reader (not an euphemism, I assure you)

The writer doesn’t give too much away, with how they have chosen their words, however I feel this has been penned with passion as they see it. I like the use of words that make comparisons ‘Thunderous force’ - ‘lust’ which also made me giggle somewhat, I am sure this story could be extended (again no puns intended) A nice well written little piece.” (4)

“Terror never forgotten 09/11/01” by: Brenda

“Walking into a takeaway to buy lunch I looked up at the television and saw the breaking news: One of the twin towers were billowing smoke from a terror attack. All that day, my eyes witnessed the unfolding tragedy. I am awarding full points to this poem as events like this should never be forgotten.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“There isn’t much I can say about this very well executed piece of writing that shook the whole world on that very sad and fateful day! The author has described the scene that day with such hard-hitting truth, with their emotions and feelings in every word. It brought it back to myself, with vivid images and the grief of all those that suffered from this terrible act.

It was the beginning of no end to terrorism, bringing fear to everyone human being that walks this earth. I feel that in my opinion, we shall never know the ‘real truth’ behind what happened that day. A very difficult piece to absorb, however the author has penned this so well. Peace and love to all that suffered on a date that will stick forever in many minds!” (7)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“A damned good tribute of a day which will never in history be forgotten.” (4)

“In this, my Skin” by: Trampled Angel

“I have read many poems that tell such variations of the plight of addictions, which come in very different forms. I feel that it so very personal, when one suffers with their battles against themselves in a manor of speaking. The author gives an insight into their addiction with the issues around eating, and they pen this very well with how they have written their poem. Talking of a ‘disease’ and ‘obsession’ which sums up the whole addiction issue well, describing the way they feel about themselves – quite raw and painful to say the least. A very well written piece, and thank you for sharing with us all. I wish for you the best.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Again another poem that has left me speechless this week. Insecurities, battling food addiction perhaps or just a trouble within... this poem touches on a struggle that is powerful to read. Beautifully crafted!” (4)

HM’s:

“Day 1” by: Blank Canvas = 10 points

“Don't light up the matchstick” by: Ya----Na = 10 points

“Appication” by: Mark Rawlins = 7 points

“Buffaloes Roam” by: Scott Cole = 7 points

“Thousand Moons” by: Satish Verma = 7 points

“Bad Moon Rising” by: Maple Tree = 4 points

“Reckless (Rictameter)” by: Maple Tree = 4 points

COMMENTS:

“Day 1” by: Blank Canvas

“In all my years of poetry, and it’s been many... I have only read a few poems such as this one, where my jaw drops. The writer opened their soul, heart and true pain within this poem. It’s raw, it’s powerful and it’s expressing the explosive pain that is experienced with addiction and with depression. It has been uniquely crafted and displayed. Just a marvelous poem by Blank Canvas <3” (10)

“Don't light up the matchstick” by: Ya----Na

“This was a relatable piece for anyone who has ever been heartbroken, in fact it will be relatable to us all as at some point in our lives. I believe we will be heartbroken before we find the one person who appreciates us for who we are and what we do for them etc. Anyway enough of my dribble, there's some fascinating imagery and metaphors in this which pulled at my heartstrings.” (10)

“Appication” by: Mark Rawlins

“This poem was not only funny but clever too. From the deliberate misspelling of the title to the quick selection of related funnies, ending with a humorous conclusion. It’s nice to see a poet flexing the comedic bones. I only hope we see others having a go.” (7)

“Buffaloes Roam” by: Scott Cole

“Such a fantastic poem by Scott. On reading, I wonder how many of us wish we could forget about our baggage even it is just for a short blip in time. There is much I could read into this poem and it would most likely all be wrong. However, I choose to take this little piece of perhaps misunderstanding just for me.

It's lovely to get away, but "there is no place like home"
    “Click your heels Dorothy”

Fantastic and a well-earned 7 points”

“Thousand Moons” by: Satish Verma

“Satish has been dazzling me for quite some time now but with this poem I melted. It’s crisp, beautiful and oozing with pure beauty!” (7)

“Bad Moon Rising” by: Maple Tree

“Knowing and loving this song as much as I do, the tittle was always one that would draw my eye. I was curious as to which direction Andrea would approach it. I don't think I expected anything quite like this. It's a beautiful poem that is so lovely and yet so sad. I guess the river will always flow and the moon will forever be reflected, I guess we must also continue to flow and try to be the best reflections of our former self's that we can.

A very, very special poem” (4)

“Reckless (Rictameter)” by: Maple Tree

“Formed poetry, like a Rictameter, looks great on a page but they do not always cut the mustard. This one, however, does. Life takes courage when it is tough. You need courage to dig down deep when others ignore your pain. But it also takes courage to reach out when a hand is being offered. A great message to anyone out there having a tough time.” (4)

• Jamie
    5 years ago

Thank you judge for your kind words and vote and to brenda for the nomination

• Ya----Na
    5 years ago

Happy for the winners
    Grateful to the judges for showering so much love on all of us.
    Thanks to our hardworking Moderators and to all the beautiful members for their time to read, comment and obviously nomination.
    Much love for pnq family

S

• Hannah Lizette
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners & HM's. Great job.

• Michael
    5 years ago

Hi All :)

Congratulations to all the front page splashers, wonderful poems as always, that includes all HMs awarded

Thank you to all the judges and Mods for time, effort and making the competition work every week.

and MA for hosting this week.

Much love, M :)x

• Meena Krish replied to Michael
    5 years ago

Congrats to all the Winners and HM's!
    Thank you judges for all your hard work and thanks for
    hosting MA :)

• Kitty Cat Lady
    5 years ago

Congrats to all winners, HMs and nominations. A great week :-)
    =^.^=

• naaz
    5 years ago

Lots of Love and respect for each and every one.

All the best!

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Congratulations to Mr. Darcy and Trampled Angel for your front page wins. Also congratulations to all the HM's! Amazing writes all around. Thank you so much for voting my poem worthy of the front page. I truly appreciate your comments about this piece. Thank you Ben for nominating this. I also want to thank Mary Anne for hosting and always the judges for their time and having to make the tough choices.

• Ben Pickard
    5 years ago

Some wonderful poetry this week. Congratulations to everyone highlighted and thank you to the judges for their time.

Take care, everyone.

• Milly Hayward
    5 years ago

Congratulations to this weeks joint winners Mr Darcy and Brenda both with 21 points and Trampled Angel and to all the HMs. A huge thanks to the Moderators and judges that make this competition possible each week and for the people who nominate. Best wishes Milly x

• Mr. Darcy
    5 years ago

Okay...

I was not expecting this. "more than love" started off as a comment on Kitty's poem "Farewell" - it was literally written in a minute. I guess this just shows you, its not the size or how long you take that counts! :P

Congratulations to fellow front page winners and to HM's. Big thanks too for everyone who makes this cherished weekly contest possible...

Without those poets that nominate, post, judge and host we would have our own little ghost town here. Big thanks to one and all.

• CJ Maleney
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

You know what? I am really really happy with the site of late.

The diversity of poems nominated, voted on, those that win and those that received honorable mentions cover a variety of topics and styles.

I'm not sure if our member grow or if it's just old members returning but it seems a lot busier of late and the little fractures of a few months ago seen to have been forgotten.

Fantastic efforts by all winners and HM's. As always.

And fair play to the back room staff (footie reference) for all your work behind the scenes.

Regards to you all

Craig