"Dig my grave and dig it deep"

• Little Lupa
    10 years ago

Has anyone notice how everyone uses these lines in poems, and then try to claim them...I mean yea sure it's alright but, give credit to whom you seen it from.

"Dig my grave and dig it deep, marble stone from head to feet. Upon my grave place a dove to show the world I died for love."
    -Unknown (www.coolquotescollection.com/Poetry7.aspx)

"They dug her grave and dug it deep
    And placed white lilies at her feet
    And on her breast they placed a dove
    To show that she had died for love "
    -The Maiden's Prayer

So dig my grave and dig it deep,
    and plant marijuana at my feet
    And by my side, a snow white dove
    to show the world I died for his love.
    -Unknown

"Dig my grave and dig it deep
    Place red roses at my feet
    Upon my chest a pure white dove
    To show the world I died for love "
    -A PRISON BOY

"Dig my grave and dig it deep,
    Place red roses at my feet
    Upon my chest a turtle Dove..
    to show the world I died for love"
    -Simon Deacon

• Little Lupa
    10 years ago

Not really, alot of famous authors quote from other poems or stories. If credit is given then it is allowed, because then evey line would be copyrighted and would be un useable even the lines "Dig my grave and dig it deep wouldn't be allowed'

• Little Lupa
    10 years ago

Thats what I was saying, if you use a line in your poem which you took from another poem you need to give credit. The above are variations of the same poem.

• Phantasmagoria
    9 years ago

I dk. I can't say I notice that a lot. What I do notice is that even famous people like Jay-Z and other random people quote Friedrich Nietzsche. "What does not kill me only makes me stronger." No one EVER gives him credit, half the people in the world who've heard that saying probably don't even know who Friedrich Nietzsche is. It really bothers me sometimes. >_<

• Gem
    9 years ago

Thats a bit crap.
    I wrote a poem a long time ago with the words, "Dig my grave and dig it deep" and i can honestly say i had never heard of any of those poets you have quoted there or read it elsewhere.
    So how have i plagurised? By writing something by coincidence purely by accident.
    I don't think so somehow.

• Wyneth replied to Little Lupa
    7 months ago

The poem actually goes
    Once upon a time where I dwell
    I mett a boy I liked so well
    Until one day he sat me free
    And sat another upon his knee
    He told her things he never told me
    I found out why
    She was more beautiful than I
    I went home to cry in bed
    Not a word to my mother was said
    My father came home from work that night
    Looked both ways left and right
    In through the doors that he broke
    He found me hanging from a rope
    On the dresser there was a note
    That read
    Dig my grave
    Dig it deep
    Marble stone from head to feet
    On my grave place a dove
    To show the world I died for love
    I wrote that 20 years ago in high school
    I can't believe it gets used like it does
    I was shocked to even find someone talking about it!

• Milly Hayward
    3 months ago, updated 3 months ago

I cant say I have noticed but then I have a terrible memory at times. I once read somewhere that there is no such thing as a new story. I guess tin the case of poetry hat there are only so many descriptive words in the world and whilst we all have different ways of putting them together there must be the remote chance that a writer could just coincidently create a line that is similar if not the same as someone elses way of putting it together.

There is also the chance that something you read years previously might suddenly be pulled out of your subconsious memory as a line or lyric without you realising that you had heard it somewhere. In the writers mind he might think he had just invented it.

I dont think (or I hope they dont) people set out to be deliberate plagerists because if they did it would be on more than a few words or lines and it would happen in more than one poem because cheating is a habit not a one off event and easily proven. I just think that there are so many poets all taking words from the same English vocabulary so inevitably some overlaps will appear.

Getting back to the original comments. I do agree thowever that if you deliberately choose to use someone elses lines then of course you should be upfront and credit the writer.

Milly x