Four Legged Friends

• Lost One
    5 years ago

Eight years ago I adopted a puppy. I remember the last words the breeder said to me before I left, "Careful, she's going to change your life." Those words echoed through my mind a few hours later when I took Wrigley on her first walk. Thirty minutes around the neighborhood and nothing... then she peed the second we walked through the front door. I remember teaching her tricks. She knew them of course... but she figured out that if she just stared at me long enough I would give her the treat anyway. Just year later, a lot of carpet cleaner and treats on my bank statement, I had a perfectly trained yellow lab who didn't even need a leash when we went for strolls. She was there when I brought each of my three girls home for the first time, eagerly sniffing that new baby scent with all the tenderness expected as if they were her own. She stood guard outside their cribs at night and would sound the alarm when it was time for them to eat. When I came back from my first deployment... hell, from each deployment... and found everything was different. My wife was different, my daughters were different, my friends were different; Wrigley was the same. I may have physically come home but this yellow lab, she brought ME home. And now on the eve of Christmas Eve, My best friend in the world is gone. I held her in my arms and watched the light fade from her beautiful brown eyes. Eyes that lit up everytime I walked through the door. Eyes that guided me home as surely as any lighthouse beacon ever could. And the last words I whispered to her as she took her last breath will always rend my heart, "Wrigley, you changed my life."

• Poet on the Piano replied to Lost One
    5 years ago, updated 5 years ago

Tony, I wish we had some guarantee that our four legged friends could be with us forever. They are a part of our hearts and I know the pain and grief in losing them.

Words can't express how my heart hurts for you. I am so sorry for your loss and having to go through this, especially since you've been with Wrigley since the beginning. May I say how incredible it is you trained her and how they always give back and give us hope when we need it the most. They are our constant companions.

Thank you for sharing Wrigley's story, and please know you're not alone here. Feel free to share any memories. It never is easy.

Personally, I just had a family friend ask last night "Wait, but I thought you had two dogs?" and I had to explain how one passed away, because this friend always saw me walking both dogs side by side (they always traveled together). But he passed away while in my arms, and I can't describe how unbearably hard that was, but I'm glad I held Jack despite being afraid and overcome with emotions. He was not alone.

I hope you find some sort of comfort, Tony, whether here or elsewhere. Sending support your way.

• CJ Maleney

I know this story only too well.

As an adult I got my first dog in 1998. I too was serving back then. Before she had even fully grown I was deployed again. 6 months later I came home wondering if Pooch would even recognise me.

She did, jumped up and caught me straight in the balls (seriously is this a genetic skill that has evolved in dogs? Because they all do it). Perhaps it's because she was technically my wife's dog.

In 2003 I got my best buddy the aptly named Tyke. As a pup he was small and cuddly and a complete master of destruction. He grew into a bloody great black wolf. Very strong and powerful but such a lovely natured animal.

Sadly Pooch passed 7 years ago and that floored me. However we now have Pooch2. She's a lovely, clever, affectionate creature.

Quite recently Tyke went the same way. I can't remember ever being so distraught. I've lost many a family member but Tyke was my baby boy despite the size he grew to.

I couldn't have asked for a more loyal companion.

After he passed I vowed "that's it" no more dogs! I felt I couldn't deal with that pain again.

Hey ho! Me being me, I now have my Thunder. He's not Tyke but he's a little bugger. Newzealand Huntaway Collie cross breed..

Loves cuddles, loves running and at 17 weeks of age is already taking over as top dog.

The woods are now calling again.

Nothing will compare to that loss. Nothing will prepare you for the inevitable loss. Nothing will prepare you for unconditional love.

Your dog changed your life as mine have for me.

A new dog is not an insult to the memory of the old, and you will think that he or she is irreplaceable. You are correct.

But there are still paths to tread and a little puppy would love to explore them with you.

Sending man hugs

Craig

Edit. I actually got Tyke in 2001. I bought the new house in 2003

• Milly Hayward

Tony im so sorry for your loss. Its the most heart breaking thing in the world to lose our four legged friends because they are family as well as best friends. My little dog is almost fourteen and very white faced, missing teeth creaky joints but still loves to sit on my knee and throw the odd sock around. I dont know how i will cope when she passes but i do know that every moment we have with them is so precious because their lives are so short compared with our own and though their passing breaks our hearts their lives enrich and change ours in more ways than we ever could imagine. Its lovely you have shared her story with us because its through doing this that she will stay remembered. Sending you a huge hug and much love. Milly x

• Brenda
    5 years ago

Tony, I am sorry to hear about Wrigley. It is so hard to lose your best friend. Our pets give us so much and just want to be loved. Wrigley was loved and she spent her entire life knowing love. Hugs to you-

• nouriguess replied to Lost One
    5 years ago

I honestly teared up reading your post. I got my boy Baxter about a year ago. He's the most precious thing in my life. He waits for me till I get back home from work everyday. When I'm depressed, he just FEELS that I'm not okay, and he curls up right next to me and everything is alright again. He loves me unconditionally, and that's something no human being ever did for me. A simple walk down the street and he looks at me with happiness and gratitude. I don't think there's something more painful than losing a pet. They're family. They're our best friends. They do change our lives. I'm really sorry for your loss. I wish there's something I could do or say that'd make the pain go away, but the grief is inevitable when you lose a big part of your life, someone so dear and close. You should always remember how happy she was, being your baby. How much you cared about her and what a good, fun-filled life she had because she shared it with you. Stay strong.

• Darren

sorry to read this Tony,

Although I was brought up with dogs, in my adulthood I have kept cats.
    We lost one 2 years ago, she was 17 years old. A fantastic age for a pet but very strange when she passed. My children are all under the age of 17 so have only ever known a cat in the house. They do become family members and it is tough losing them. We now have 2 cats from a rescue centre, father and son. Now our house feels back to normal. I'm glad you had your dog in your life sounds like she brought you comfort.

• PnQ Mod Account

I am so sorry your sweet friend is gone. My parents lost their cat of 15 years this Christmas Eve as well. I spent an hour on the phone with them, all of us in tears. They buried her on Christmas day. Our four legged family work their way into our hearts and make a home there. <3

-Jane

• Larry Chamberlin
    5 years ago

Tony, it is almost as bad as losing a person
    Hell, for me they are persons. Your pain is palpable and shared, my friend. So sorry.