Weekly Contest Winners - March 22, 2021!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Hello! Apologies for the delay. Many thanks to our three judges, and congrats to the three who made the front page, as well as our honorable mentions. We had quite a variety of poems highlighted this week, including rhymed works and a collab. "Mint To Be", by newer member RSGood, is a fun poem about the journey of love that's endearing and enjoyable to read. In fact, some of the verses are simply punbelievable! Next, is a far more somber piece by Michael, "Same dog, different lamp-post", that speaks on the monotony of life, and the presence of depression while trying to make sense of life when one feels they merely exist. Last, but certainly not least, Star and hiraeth collab in a piece bursting with imagery, similes, and the depth of emotion in (as I understood) dealing with memories of someone, when they leave an impact on you that you can't shake.

Please read these fantastic poems if you have time! Thanks again to the judges, and hope everyone has a great week.

~MA

WINNERS:

"Mint To Be" by: RSGood 7 + 7 + 4 = 18 points

"your climate change" by: Hiraeth and Star = 10 points

"Same dog, different lamp-post" by Michael = 10 points

COMMENTS:

"Mint To Be" by: RSGood

"Wordplay. This poet shows off his craft with salivating sounding words. Some of my favourites: Mint to be/ meant to be, radish cheeks/reddish cheeks, do you carrot all my sweet, do you care at all my sweet and this gem: I cannoli love just you/ I can only love just you. All of this is a bit ‘shows off’ but a poet who loves language and the joy of the sound of words should feel free to peacock every once in a while, especially when they showcase this all with a pleasing rhyme scheme." (7)

- - - - - - - - -

"Creativity at its finest, original outlines and just a fun and wonderful visual display!" (7)

- - - - - - - - -

"From the title onwards, this poem is just so ripe with wonderful buns - sorry, puns - and is really quite a delicious little treat. (I'll stop now)
    Written in a rhyme scheme that is underemployed 'round these parts (ABBA) - perhaps because it's not particularly easy - and brimful of playfulness, this was a pleasure to read from start to finish and is, in all honesty, one of the most original and intelligent pieces of poetry that I have read for a while." (4)

"your climate change" by: hiraeth and Star

"There really are too few superlatives to bother even with one in regards to trying to convey the wonder of this piece. Collaborations are never easy, but these two poets have such an effortless way about their words anyway that they were never in any trouble as far as bringing this piece together so seamlessly goes. They compliment each other perfectly. From a personal point of view, I don't really see the point in leaving uppercase letters out when the piece is still laden with punctuation; it feels a little neither here nor there, but that is only one person's opinion and - equally - there is delicacy in these words that would probably be corrupted somewhat by big, clunky capitals besmearing the page! Truly, lovely work." (10)

"Same dog, different lamp-post" by: Michael

"The poet shares his words for all: tears, restless hours full of terrors and tinnitus. The morning that follows is a ‘fix me up!’ fuelled by TNT infused caffeine and as for the melodic dawn chorus, well, that can go to hell! I liked the way this poem is presented, flowing down the page in pleasing segments, each one documenting the night with air dancing alliteration, cerebral similes and an inner monologue, that almost made me feel voyeuristic. Free form poetry that pleased and pleasured." (10)

HM's:

"Simple Things" by: CJ Maleney

"CJ has written a powerful rhyme poem, expressing his emotions with elegance and harsh truth, I do admire the strength within this poem, just wonderful!" (10)

"Sky Tears" by: Alex B

"Not listed as one by the poet himself, but this senryu/syntuit form is executed very cleverly here.

The sky cries, we cry and when it is detailed like this, the similarities between the two are almost alarming. Seemingly simple uses of clever word play - "falling" and "failing" - and homophones - "pour" and "poor" - mean that, with the brevity of a flash flood, this is saturated with originality and heartbreak. Really good work, as is Alex's other senryu nominated this week." (7)

"Watch (9 syllables)" by: Everlasting

"There was a plethora of short forms posted this week, and I like that! This poet has set about writing a few ‘9 syllable’ forms, laid out in 3 lines, much like a haiku, with its final, let’s make you think, line. This one I particularly enjoyed. Picture this: If there were crowds of crows in the sky, it may well make you watch and wander if night had fallen all too soon. Somehow this poem had the air of a dreaded dark mood, ominously quiet and all one can do is warily watch and hope for the dawn." (4)

- - - - - - - -

"In just 9 syllables Luce has crafted a gem. To see the crows fly, flock and gather is a wonderful site and the visual display is beautiful here." (4)

• Michael
    3 years ago

Congratulations to the front page winners and HMs awarded.

Thank you to the judges for their time and for the lovely comments on my poem.

Thank you to Star for nominating my poem and MA for hosting :)
    M x

• Keira Pickard

Congratulations to the winners and HMs! Thank you to the judges and MA for hosting.

• Ben Pickard replied to Keira Pickard

Well done to the winners/hms/nominees. Many thanks to the judges and MA.

• Star replied to PnQ Mod Account

Thank you for the amazing comment on our poem!

Also thank you so much for your time judges and MA!! We appreciate your dedication :)

Congrats everyone, really awesome writes this week!

• Meena Krish replied to Star
    3 years ago

Congrats to all Winners and HMs.
    Thank you judges and thank you for hosting MA.

• Larry Chamberlin
    3 years ago

Congrats to the winners as well as to the honorably mentioned.

Thanks to the three judges and to Maryanne for posting.

• CJ Maleney

Even though I've spent a few years on here now(and am sometimes distant) it never fails to inspire in one form or an other.

The dedication and effort provided but judges and moderators is beyond thanks or words I can express.

If I simply say you are all wow. That should be enough.

For all contest winners and HM's boosh guys and girls some awesome things'in there and some deep stuff too.

To whichever judge voted for mine! Again wow I think you pretty much captured my mood in you comment.

Regards and love to one and all.

Craig

• prasanna
    3 years ago

thank you judge for your lovely comment, congrats to the other winners and those who picked up a HM. thank you MA for hosting, and thank you judges for all your hard work!

• Everlasting

“This poet has set about writing a few ‘9 syllable’ forms, laid out in 3 lines, much like a haiku, with its final, let’s make you think, line”

Yeah! A few years back, when I was learning how to write traditional haiku, I learnt about the modern haiku. Someone said the less syllables, the better. So, I started trying to write them in 9 syllables. This one is one of my fav:

Title: life

a new seed-
    a cloud cries
    to give birth

Thank you for the awesome comments. Congratulations winners and hms.