Weekly Contest Results, 3 May 2021

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

The struggle for life is not always the same as living. The judges this week focused their sights on Noura’s desperate battle for survival and sanity in a war torn country, Just In Case, and Ben’s lament for a warrior taken on the battlefield in his youth, A Soldier's Frosty Field. The judges turned to a different form of loss in awarding their second places. Mark’s coming and going of lost love, a mirage, and Jane’s deep immersion in formlessness in Wind Chimes. The site broke the tie in favor of Mark’s a mirage.

Front Page
    A Soldier's Frosty Field by Ben Pickard 10 Points
    Just in Case by nourayasmine 10 Points
    a mirage (napowrimo 2021: day 17) by hiraeth 7 Points

Honorably Mentioned
    Wind Chimes (Senryu) by Jane Do-Re-Mi Day 27 by Everlasting 7 Points
    Dragon day 22 Bacchic Monometer by Everlasting 4 Points
    Day 27 by Everlasting 4 Points

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    A Soldier's Frosty Field by Ben Pickard 10 Points
    We have all walked through a graveyard or a battlefield and wondered about the buried or slaughtered souls that inhabit that space. Perhaps, like depicted in this poem, you still hear the curdling screams of war? This poem is not only written well, with impeccable metre and rhyme, it tells a heart wrenching story in a such a way that commemorates, not only, that solider, but all those soldiers that have been ”taken far too soon” Perhaps, the learning is in the remembering?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Just in Case by nourayasmine 10 Points
    This poem raises awareness to anxiety, depression and loss.
    I couldn't help but get goose bumps and fill with tears.
    Each line just brings chilling visuals and touching memories
    for the reader. Well done!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    a mirage (napowrimo 2021: day 17) by hiraeth 7 Points
    Napowrimo has certainly been inspiring the creative juices this month. This poem spoke to me and I am sure a different reader would have their own take on it. Age we are all bound to it, we are its companion and each of us has our own unique relationship with it. This poet speaks of age as shy female - I felt she might even be a metaphor for April/spring, a month/season that passes by like age, young and full of life yet to be lived. Seasons come and go, and they, like us can tarnish and once its memory is stained, it can never be the same again. I enjoyed this piece more than I can say.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Wind Chimes (Senryu) by Jane Do-Re-Mi 7 Points
    Wind chimes is such a calming sound and a beauty
    in a class all on its own. Jane's crafted an elegant senryu
    poem, laced with powerful visuals and just wow!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Dragon day 22 Bacchic Monometer by Everlasting 4 Points
    Poetry form can be amazing. Here we have a rarely seen on here form: Bacchic Monometer. Fortunately, the poet added a footnote of its rules: “Each line most contain three syllables with a stressed pattern as unstressed stressed stressed (duh DUM DUM)” I am always pleased as it helps to understand its format. I remember, as a child, my imagination being ignited by the imagery of dragons. I recall stories of townsfolk having the find a suitable sacrifice for the beast otherwise it would rage bloodshed through the town, killing all in its path. However, if a young maiden was offered its hunger would be sated. This poem skillfully follows the rules and tells a similar tale. My only critique was the last line, its ‘duh DUM DUM seemed off, but if I had a dragon after me, my flow would wobble a bit too!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Day 27 by Everlasting
    Everlasting has a powerful gift with words
    and a creative way of displaying them so that
    you can get the message and meaning.. just a beautiful poem.

• Brenda
    2 years ago

Congratulations to our front page winners and HM's! So many wonderful writes! Larry, thank you for hosting and to our lovely judges, for doing the magic you do..thank you!

• Jack
    2 years ago

Great job everyone!

• ddavidd
    2 years ago

congratulation to you guys and thanks to the judges and host

• prasanna
    2 years ago

Thank you for hosting Larry, thank you judge for your lovely comment. Congrats to the other winners and those who picked up a HM.

April was a great month for poetry on here, hope May's even better :)

• Keira Pickard
    2 years ago

Congratulations to the winners and HMs! Thank you to Larry for hosting and the judges for their time. Happy writing :)

• Everlasting
    2 years ago

“My only critique was the last line, its ‘duh DUM DUM seemed off,”

^ you are totally right!

Thank you to the two judges for the comments. And congratulations winners.

• Ben Pickard
    2 years ago

Thank you for the vote, comment and time given by the judges in general. Well done, all.

• Meena Krish replied to Ben Pickard
    2 years ago

Congrats Winners and to all who got HM's.
    Thank you judges and thank you Larry for hosting.