Weekly Contest Winners - May 17, 2021!

• Sunshine
    2 years ago

Hello, hope everyone is doing great. I hope you are safe and well. Big thanks to the judges who are still dedicating some of their time during such a tough period.

The site broke a tie for 3rd place between primed. by hiraeth and breaking....by Meena Krish with 7 pts each. Meanwhile Crownless Royals and I long for you received votes from both judges, thus leaving us with 4 featured poets this week.

------------------------- COMMENTS:

Crownless Royals (English sonnet) by Ben Pickard [20 Points]

Why do sonnets evoke a mixed reply?
    Is it because of mystic rule and rhyme?
    This poet used seasons to spin a verse
    By writing with his crown of golden worth. (1o points)

Sonnets = Love, Romance and Elegance. Ben is truly gifted and talented
    with creating sonnets that make you pass out! This sonnet made me sad
    and reminisce about past loves/ loss however the nature tones and metaphors
    made me smile and feel peaceful, a ton of emotions can be felt with this poem.
    Beautiful! (10 points)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I long for you by Everlasting [8 Points]

Often, but not always the form of a poem is stated in the title. Is this needed? Well, for a site like this where we are all still ‘cutting our teeth’, it often helps. In this case though, the form is a rondeau, and I feel enough of these have been posted for the ‘regulars’ to recognise them. Not only this, but omitting the form allows the poem to be enjoyed by all without being distracted by rules. Is it the iambic tetrameter, the rhyme scheme over 15 lines or the refrain that makes this form so pleasing? Well yes, but if only if written well and this example has been. (4 points)

Feeling the love this week! What a beautiful poem. I can imagine
    the writer passionately writing this poem with full blown emotions,
    tissues and maybe even a few tears- This poem truly got to me. (4 points)

breaking.... by Meena Krish 7 Points

The word imagery is often used in poetry - the ability to create images with words by showing not telling is an art. The poem mainly consists of verses of 3 lines, that much like that of the haiku form, show us that less is often more. The haiku form captures moments, and these verses achieve the same. The first, for me, set up a question: Why is the terrain ‘nearly’ deserted? The use of ‘deserted’ immediately made me think, by association, of sand. So, in 3 lines we have a wild horse (freedom) running where most do not. Next, the image of the horse kicking up sand butterflies was wonderfully vivid. I felt a sense of struggle, perhaps a struggle to remain free? The imagery continued as the struggle intensified with bleeding suffocation. The words ‘fear’ and ‘chain’ suggested control through fear and in the context of this poem, freedom being controlled in this way. I do like the way this poem ends by confining the remaining words or elements of freedom, b r e a k i n g them down until freedom is no more than a world of pain. To say this poem is powerful is an understatement.

primed. by hiraeth (7 points)

Be still my heart, beautiful. The eyes see
    the color of the beauty that the writer refers to.
    This poem is simplistic and powerful, rich with elegance
    and has a softness that makes the reader smile and swoon

• Ben Pickard
    2 years ago

Thank you to both judges for your comments and time. Well done to all those highlighted.

• Keira Pickard replied to Sunshine
    2 years ago

Congratulations everyone! Thank you to the judges for their time and Rania for hosting.

• Mr. Darcy
    2 years ago

Thank you, Rania for hosting this week's competition; it really was one of exceptional work, otherwise my poem would have certainly been awarded - those poor judges must have been deliberating for hours! That's dedication for you - thanks for your continued time.

Congratulations to all 3 winners and HM's you've all robbed me! Col *crying out loud* ;)

• prasanna
    2 years ago

Thank you Rania for hosting. Thank you judges for your lovely work as well, it's a honour to share the front page with some exception poems!

Congrats to the other winners and those who got a HM!

• Everlasting
    2 years ago

Thank you Judges!

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Congrats to the winners. Thank you Rania and thanks to the judges.

• Meena Krish replied to Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Congrats to the Winners and HMs! Thank you to the judge who gave a very detailed comment on my write and for the HM.

Thank you Keira for the nomination and thank you for hosting Rania.