Weekly Contest Results, 12 July 2021

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Weekly Contest Results 12 July 2021

Love, says Janis Ian, is just another four-letter word. Certainly cassie and MA’s winning entries express this forlorn belief. Season’s End takes us through the year of disenchantment while Defining You proves that the titular task may well be impossible: like a pebble in your shoe you cannot find no matter how hard you try. Torn, an unlabeled Senryu by Hellon, presents a dilemma which many would not think of: art or enablement.

Front Page
    Season's End by cassie hughes 4+10 = 14 Points
    Torn by Hellon 4+7 = 11 Points
    Defining you by Poet on the Piano points 10

Honorably Mentioned
    (untitled) by Skyfire 7 Points

Comments

Season's End by cassie Hughes points 4
    this piece by Cassie is relatable to many, me included.. Love comes and goes but those who, care deeply and love us wholeheartedly without reason are the ones that matter.

~~~~~~~~~~

Season's End by cassie hughes 10 Points
    I do appreciate a poem that depicts all the seasons and this one does just that. To me this poem spoke of all that we have lost during this pandemic. From inside we wished ‘if only I had eyes to see’ to enjoy those seasons, to give and receive love. It is no wonder after a year like this,’all faith in what is oft called love.’ I enjoyed the rhyme and the flow of this poem – it really was a treat to read.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Torn by Hellon points 7
    Hellon always seems do this form justice as in it may seem easy to do but it's really not, it takes some real skill and Hellon has that skill. This piece clearly shows that. It's a real piece of "who should I help first" the thing is either of them could be dishonest etc but we think an addict more so unfortunately. In my town, many people walk past the homeless people but that's because many of them are known for not being homeless at all; they have a house and just use the money for their addiction, it's unfortunate as the real homeless people will never be given a chance.

~~~~~~~~~~

Torn by Hellon 4 Points
    To feed a habit or not to feed a habit that is the question… If the busker is the addict should the dollar be offered when it will go towards their next hit? Or is the dilemma to reward a budding musician or the suffering addict? In either case, the scenario is one that will have you ‘torn’ on how to proceed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Defining you by Poet on the Piano points 10
    there's always something about Maryannes pieces that connect with me on a very personal level and I can never quite out my finger on it but every time I read a piece from her I am moved like no other poetry, it resonates with me one hell of a lot.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(untitled) by Skyfire 7 Points
    From the clever title to the lack of punctuation and even the monosyllabic words, this poem tries to take up as little space as possible, so as to be, invisible. Nice, very nice!

• Milly Hayward replied to Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Congratulations to Cassie Hughes, Hellon and Poet on the Piano for their front page wins and for Skyfire's HM. Big thanks to the judges for volunteering their time and to Larry for managing the results. X

• cassie hughes replied to Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Many thanks to the judges for the win and comments and congratulations also to Hellon, Poet on the Piano and Skyfire.

• Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

Many thanks to the judge for the comment and vote! Also, thanks to Larry for hosting. Well done everyone!

• Meena Krish replied to Poet on the Piano
    2 years ago

Congrats Winners and HMs.
    Thank you judges and thank you Larry for hosting.

• Hellon
    2 years ago

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you judges for your lovely comments, always appreciated. Thanks to Andrea for your nomination. Congrats to the other winners and Hms.