Syria and Turkey earthquakes

• Star
    1 year ago, updated 1 year ago

First and foremost, I really hope all the members here who are in those regions are safe.
    Those two earthquakes are catastrophic and very horrifying more than 3,000 building collapsed in both Syria and Turkey, over 5,000 deaths so far and the number is expected to increase significantly, people are still under the rubble, and many more are left homeless in the freezing weather.
    Lets pray for all those who are affected and keep them in our thoughts and hearts.

Here some websites if you would like to donate, and theres many more if you search:

https://help.unicef.org/syria-earthquake?country=AE&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-paid&utm_campaign=DLV_SyriaEarthQuake_Prospecting_20230206_AE_SyriaEarhQuake_Broad_AE_Target_20230206&utm_content=AE_Syria_+Earthquake+_Ad4_NewCopyNewLP_Syria-EarthQuake&utm_term=Instagram_Feed&fbclid=PAAaa_z6c3-bOmMW2M7zrpEq6a3K_KALd_jgledJcw14id-SXofWENS5sf9_E_aem_AfrNLJxpjaRgHyZNARdLK1YANmVZbwWYBJTBiWIVJQ0SuAJC9kByPD9G9uoQRD_Jyze7R0-0I752TkOmb6FT85yQKxxiFmTZXHF1aK45TKaQBqHenZznuReIcLXUU7yqaEw

https://giving.unhcr.org/en/sy/

https://www.msf.org/msf-scales-response-after-earthquakes-hit-south-türkiye-and-northwest-syria

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/syria-crisis-appeal

• silvershoes replied to Star
    1 year ago

Death toll is nearing 8,000 and counting... I've been researching organizations to donate to, but it's so hard to know which ones are most effective.

Fellow PnQers: Noura, who is in Syria, is alive. She's safe.

I hope if any other PnQers were impacted, they'll check in with us so we know if they're okay. This is unbearably tragic.

• Star
    1 year ago

The number is increasing </3

I’m really glad to know that Noura is safe!

And for the donations I think my first two links are reliable.

Thank you for giving us an update.

• Poet on the Piano
    1 year ago

Thank you for making a post and sharing ways to donate/help, Star.

I was anxious about Noura... and any members here who are affected. So grateful for the update, Jane <3

• Everlasting replied to silvershoes
    1 year ago

I was looking for the like button but forgot this isn’t Facebook.

If you find one organization that’s most effective, please share. I have trust issues when it comes to donations.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to Everlasting

I recommend Star's link to UNICEF. it is a UN organization with a good track record and is legitimate.

Another link to it is:
    https://www.unicefusa.org/mission/emergencies?form=FUNNPGQXEGQ

Thank you, Star for posting this thread

• Star

And my 2nd link I edited it I sent it in Arabic earlier, sorry about that!

Edit: number of death exceeds 12,000 now..

• nouriguess

Lost my house, lost many people, got some bruises. But I'm well and alive!

Expect so many earthquake poems. :)

Please do NOT donate to organisations you guys. You'll just help make some wealthy men here even wealthier.

• Poet on the Piano replied to nouriguess
    1 year ago

You have endured so much, Noura; don't want it to sound hollow but sending endless love and support. It doesn't seem enough to say I'm sorry for what you've lost. Also, your poetry is a living and important testament to your spirit and story, and I'm grateful you share it with us <3

Gotcha, that's disheartening but I know you've said similarly in prior discussions regarding donations. I'd wanted to ask if there are ANY ethical organizations that directly help, or if it's just a means of greed/corruption/exploitation.

• Rayven
    1 year ago

All charities are scams. Give to people directly if possible.

• Everlasting replied to nouriguess
    1 year ago

Noura, I’m glad you are okay. Is there any way we can help?

I am expecting many more poems lol I actually hope to see a lot more from you whether about earthquakes or anything

• nouriguess

I admit I was pretty scared. Up until last night I couldn't sleep. Last night, I had 5 uninterrupted hours of sleep. Because I can pretty much survive anything now.

It was 4:15am when everything started to shake. I was asleep but Baxter warned me ahead that something was wrong. I had only a few seconds to think. I quickly realised that this wasn't a bomb, this was an earthquake. I remembered "drop, cover, hold on", but I couldn't apply these instructions because I was swaying left and right. Hugged Baxter and my life flashed before my eyes. Baxter stopped barking and instead he started kissing and sniffing my face. After a whole minute of violent shaking, I got my phone and rushed to the door. Got out of the house and I was hoping from the bottom of my heart that what happened isn't real, that it was a PTSD nightmare. But no, people were getting outside, horrified. Five minutes later, I went back in. Packed all important papers, a bottle of water, a jacket and got out again.

Stood in the street, under the rain, hugging Baxter so tightly. That's when the second earthquake hit. I watched as buildings started to fall down, including mine. People were hysterically crying and praying. I was just in disbelief. 12 years of war and bombing didn't prepare me for this horror.

Staying at my friend's now. They're very close to me and very welcoming.

Lost many people. Students, cousins, friends. But I'm thankful my sister and Baxter are fine.

Now, my boss (the CEO) gave me extra 60 paid days off. Will be using every second of them to help my people. Feels healing and rewarding. Many families became homeless, many children became orphaned, and the government didn't bat an eye. If we don't help each other, we won't last.

Thank you for checking in and thank you for looking for ways to help. You will be of much help if you tell your friends about Syria. The war, the sanctions, the injustice. By raising awareness, you ARE helping us.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to nouriguess
    1 year ago

Thank you for your sharing, Noura! Prayers and help for you. I wish I had heard you earlier about not donating (even to Unicef?) But there's still time for more.

• Star replied to nouriguess

Honestly just what I'm seeing is making me stay up all night, I can't even imagine how you're feeling. I genuinely am just so glad you're not hurt. Sending lots of love <3

Syria is and will always be in my mind and heart. Thank you for sharing your story Noura, and thank you for staying brave even though its so hard.

• ddavidd

After all those bloodbaths! My heart goes with Syrians.
    nourayasmine:
    "I know that even the ground beneath
    betrayed me."

Turky too