can you learn poetry in school?

• Goran Rahim
    17 years ago

can you learn poetry in school?
    or it is something that can not be learn

• Natalie
    17 years ago

Yup you can. When I was at school we did abit of work on poetry, but at that time, I wasn't going to school.

• desigirl
    17 years ago

i think
    poetry can be learned in school but you can not write a poem by learning it.

• Imogen
    17 years ago

I think that poetry can be learnt i.e you can learn about different poetry styles and what makes a good poem, but the best poems are written from the heart and need to have something behind them.

• LadyPearl
    17 years ago

Yes....But not at my school

• Catherine
    17 years ago

Yes, my teacher attempted it. But the poem was so controlled it made me sick! IT WAS JUST A LIST NOT A STUPID POEM! Check out my poem 'I hope you get fired' and see how much I hate this particular teacher 8D

• RainbowSlider
    17 years ago

I learned it at my school.

• Bill Turner
    17 years ago

I learned "about" poetry in school, but I didn't "know" poetry until I began to write it myself.

17 years ago

True poetry comes through the heart. It's an expression of raw emotion which can only be taught in the school of life.

• Catherine
    17 years ago

Ya know what, I'm gonna change my answer. No, you cannot learn poetry in school. Poetry comes from the heard, and if you learn it in school, it's jsut another boring lesson.

• Goran Rahim
    17 years ago

i like that answer, cause in my own opinion poetry lessons are boaring. True poem come from the heart it does not have to do with any poetry style, it is just what we feel and we write it down. I think the experiece of our daily life make us a good poet, not any school or lesson.

• blueknight
    17 years ago

yeah goran your write being a poet is such a talent they say and it is the heart of the poet and cant be learn by just someone else poets are said to be romantic

• Truest Lies
    17 years ago

Well, I learnt poetry on this site. And before that I had seen that gURL.com accepted poetry, and I really wanted to appear there, so I started to write, on the hopes that they would accept, and so I started...

Nobody ever taught me in school.

//T.L.//

• AGirlWorthFightingFor
    17 years ago

We weren't allowed to write poetry in English class in our school. too many previous years had had problems with angsty, teenage depressive, cutting poetry. it was post-Columbine...so, yeah. bastards.

• Tina Carr AKA Snickers
    17 years ago

depends.... if ur writing about summer turning into fall in skool like i did, it helps u a lil bit, but it doesnt truly teach u

poetry comes from the heart

ive gotten ppl who believe that they suck to write magnificent poems about the one they love or a heartbreak
    it had nothing to do with seasons
    just words from their hearts on paper

no amount of school can teach that

but whatever, just my opinion

• Y0URMY0NLYH0PE
    17 years ago

thats where i became a poet!!

• Bhavin
    17 years ago

i believe that if poetry could have been learnt in school then the world wud ve been filled up with loads of poets... i hope this is an answer to the question...

• Lisa
    17 years ago

NO

• Lisa
    17 years ago

NO

~ONE LOVE~

• Robert Gardiner
    17 years ago

It is my opinion that poetry can be learned in school, as art, music, can be learned in school, but to be introduced to something in an instructive format doesn't make you good at it. Many of us took/take art and/or music during our formative education, but most of us who did aren't musicians or artist. You can learn poetry in school, as you can learn any other aptitude, talent, but to have taken wood shop won't make you a carpenter. And by that same token haven learned about how to write poetry doesn't make you a poet. But to the question, yes, poetry can be learned in school. At the collegiate you can find extensive programs on poetry where you can be taught the ins and outs of poetry, as you can learn also how to be a novelist. Poetry can be learned in school. I learned or was introduced to poetry and poetry writing in high school, in my english class and a religion class and had to write poems for those classes. Before then I had not forstered a love for poetry and had not much knowledge of it, at all. My only knowledge of lyrically writing was Dr. Suess, nursery rhymes, and what I heard in music - on albums. If it was not for high school, I may have never been introduced to poetry. Fact is, poetry can be learned in school, like you can learn, study, music, art, or woodworking, but school can only introduce to how. It takes talent and desire (passion) to master the craft, whether it be poetry, music, art, or woodworking!!!

Yes, you "CAN LEARN" poetry in school!!!

• Goran Rahim
    17 years ago

BEST ANSWER ROBERT,
    that was the answer i was looking for, best explaination and thank you very much.

• Cassie Cain
    16 years ago

Schools dont teach kids how to write poetry as in rhyming and teaching them how to make one up, they teach them different ways to place their poems like for example they show them shitzu i think its called.

• Cassie Cain
    16 years ago

School give you the main things to start writing a good well written poem. but the verses and the topics, titles they all come from you not your teacher or school.

• ABake
    16 years ago

In Language Arts my teacher did a whole semester of poetry. We learned the different types, ryhme schemes, all that good stuff. :)

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Yeah.. i learned it on my school..but improve my writing all by my self

• Vix
    16 years ago

Learn what about poetry?

You can learn the mechanics of poetry in school. Poetry is like sculpting; if you don’t know how to use the tools to sculpt something you will be unable to create the picture or idea in your mind. It wont convey or be what you want it to be and so it wont convey or show what it is meant to show or represent.

In school or college or university a person can be given the tools and taught all the standard and complex techniques so that they are accomplished and confident when handling and using the tools, but then what the person chooses to sculpt is up to the artist.

As well, when an artist is extremely well trained using the tools and has a very good understanding of why each tool is the way it is and an appreciation of what it can do and of what the tools when used together can create an artist can go even further and begin to develop knew techniques of their own and even knew tools. But this can only successfully be done when an artist has spent a long time learning the rules first. You can only break the rules well when you’ve learnt and suffered them.

So the mechanics can be taught and skill can be developed, but what a person does with that…well that is up to the artist, and no one can teach anyone individuality or originality.

• MissAlyssaGraff
    16 years ago

I think poetry comes from the heart. BUT it is important to know the styles and what not.

• Deana
    16 years ago

I know the mechanics and styles can be taught in school,but I think there is a pouring out of ones emotions and expressing whats in your heart in a way that reaches your reader, that takes a certain amount of creative talent,not everyone can use words to touch another persons heart and connect with them on an almost spiritual level,I believe it takes a true poetic talent to accomplish that.

• Sweet Fragility
    16 years ago

Agreed. ^^

• Munequita
    16 years ago

U can learn the basics of poetry n what it is but learning how 2 write it comes natuarally because it comes from the heart

• Brittany
    16 years ago

I think you can learn about poetry, and the basics, but the rest of it is up to you really. School can't teach creativity. It is a characteristic you are born with, and writing is a natural talent. You can only learn to a certain extent.