Just writing

• Rose not your average
    16 years ago

Its tough sometimes for me to come up with something and make it rhym i can put it into words like a stoy but rhyming is the hardest.

• Mommy And Me
    16 years ago

Alot of my poems don't rhyme. when i was beggining rhyming i would write out a stanza then change it around so it had the same feeling in it but rhymed how i wanted it to then continued on the poem

• meandhim080307
    16 years ago

All poems dont have to rhyme. if you have to make it rhyme, it might not come out as wonderful as you intended the piece to be, so if you have to force it to rhyme, maybe you should just change it into a free verse.

• Nigel Oliver
    16 years ago

Poems don't have to rhyme, as long as they express emotion.

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

For many rhyming poetry is the easiest to write and what many new poets begin with., but it is hard to write a rhyming poem that isn't cliche. I can tell you from peronal experience that most magazine editors avoid rhyme like the plague.

But it is possible to write great rhyming pieces and also traditional rhyming forms, but these are the exception rather than the rule. I never discourage or condemn anyone who writes rhyming pieces and even have written many myself (which I know are not nearly as good as my free verse, with maybe a couple exceptions) but if you read through a lot of the rhyming poems on this site you will see the same word rhymes used repeatedly.

But there are also some very wonderful rhyming poets on this site whose poems use unique rhymes and are very fresh. These talented poets amaze and impress me greatly. The best way to write good rhyming poems, like anything else, is to practice and learn.

But you can write rhyming poems, traditional forms, free verse, concrete poems, experimental poems, etc. There is no rule saying you must stick to one style, in fact I think it really expends ones knowledge, talent and experience to write in many different styles and forms.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• Rachel
    16 years ago

Use www.rhymezone.com. it helped me alot! or just look up synonyms for words that dont rhyme and you might find one that works better there. And sometimes you dont need to rhyme at all, just be sure to make your poems creative in other ways, like having metaphores or alliterations and descriptive wording.

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

If you try to force your poem, it may not turn out as good as you intended.

There are a lot of beautiful poems that don't rhyme.

• MorbidCupcake
    16 years ago

You dont HAVE to rhyme.
    Just putting it in a story form is good too.

• fearose
    16 years ago

A poem can be anything. I've read [and written] poems in paragraphs that turn out beautifully. A poem is... I actually don't know how to define poetry... It just comes. ^^

• Beautiful Chaos
    16 years ago

My problem is to stop rhyming lol I don't know why, but lately everything just seems to come out rhyming.

• Alex D
    16 years ago

I actually rarely experience writers block in any aspect. Sometimes I lack the motivation to sit down and write but for the most part I can spit out multiple poems in an hour or two every day if I want to.

• Krathia
    16 years ago

This is why I do free verse now... It doesn't have to rhyme and it doesn't need to be "structured".

• homebound
    16 years ago

Practice...you may feel like you are getting no where however everytime you include rhyming it will become second0nature and soon you will be able to think of words that rhyme that fit perfectly and dont reduce the emphasis of the piece

• Baby Rainbow
    15 years ago

Well they dont always have to ryhme thats not what poetry is about, and if you just take more time and practice you will get better at it, practice makes poetry :) xx

• XxBR0K3NxX
    15 years ago

YOU DONT ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE A POEM
    RHYME. MOST OF MiiNE DO NOT RHYME AT ALL.
    THERES NOTHiiNG WRONG WiiTH A POEM THAT
    DOESNT RHYME. JUST MAKE iiT YOUR OWN.

• Silent Voice and Tender Heart
    15 years ago

I really don't think any of my poems rhyme. Most of mine just pop in my head and if they rhyme then wonderful. If not, that is wonderful too.

• ashley stevens
    15 years ago

The dont and i agree with you

• David ODonnell
    15 years ago

Not all poems need to rhyme but in this day and age its unfortunate that most people 'assume' poems have to rhyme.

• Muhammad Junaid
    15 years ago

You are right...i agree

• Invited
    15 years ago

Poems do not have to rhyme; it is a matter of you wanting it to rhyme like old English verse or not.