Titles...!

• Rachel
    16 years ago

Does the title of your poem require alot of thought? Should it? And what if it doesnt? Sometimes it seems like the poems that I spend more time writing, but not as much time on the title, dont get near as many comment and ratings as the ones that have better titles but not as great of a poem. Yes I know its because its the first thing people see and stuff (I'm not an idiot :D) but should that really be what a poet is rewarded for?.... a good "title"? I mean, I know that the title is very important... but shouldnt the poem itself have higher priority and ranking over the title? Maybe its just me that notices this, does anyone else?

• Veamm
    16 years ago

For me both..the title and the poem itself,

• Void
    16 years ago

Well... If you have a great poem, but your title gives the whole story away before the reader gets to experience it- will it seem just as great?
    What if you have a poem full of great vocabulary, and that's just what someone is looking for; but your title is a short non-sense word - won't someone pass right by it and miss the good stuff?
    Maybe you have a musical masterpiece waiting to be discovered, and it's named 'Song' - won't that take away from all the feeling or rhythm that could be riding on your words?

I get that you think the poem itself is more important; and yeah, if it's good enough, the title won't matter Tooooo much. However, there's alot to be said in a title. Alot of power that could be held there aswell. Don't underestimate the title of your words - that's your first presentation. It's always great to make a good first impression right?

• Spirit
    16 years ago

Agreed w/ ^ as well as w/ u but the problem now a days is that people are looking for a poem that catches there attention for instences if i was looking at a bunch of titles of poems and i could only pick one i would pick the one that jumps out at me. just like when i am picking out a book. the prase don't judge a book by it's cover is applied by not judging a poem by it's title. sure i'm guilty of doing that everybody is but sometime we look over what is more importatn or what is better by going with what jumps out at us. A word to all try looking a poems you normaly woudn't and believe it or not you will expand your range in poetry.

i hope i answered your question or at least somebodies

bye
    ~Sam Mayo~

• homebound
    16 years ago

To be honest i just pick a major line in my poem or just state what its about, i dont think it matters nearly as much as my actual poetry

• Boy
    16 years ago

Titles!! attract the reader. so be aggresive.

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I think the quality of the poem is still good without the strong title but the title is what gets the poems attention x

• Gem
    16 years ago

I know some poems that have been excellent and they have no titles at all, just unknown.
    Yes, people look at the title first so some though should go into it, but it's not always needed.
    If you are trying to get a catchy title. Pick a phrase from the poem that sums up what the poem is about without giving the plot away, just something to whet the reader's appetite and get the curiosity up and running.

• ABake
    16 years ago

When I first started writing, I just took a line or something of that sort out of the poem and that was my title. But now as I am learning more and becoming a more experienced as a writer my titles are more than just a line. They tend to be more of an emotional thing. Well for me, if the title is boring I normally do not like to read the peice. But if the title is catchy then it gives off more appeal. =]

• Grey Ajurahck
    16 years ago

I think a good title is very important-not as important as the poem, but I've seen some great poems with horrible titles-and vice versa. In my own poems, sometimes I have the title first and the poem evolves from that, sometimes I write the poem and the title comes from that. Sometimes the title comes to me easily, other times I have to really wrack my brain for the perfect title. You don't want to give away the meaning/emotion of your poem but you want something that ties in with it in some way, even remotely. Titles can be a tricky thing definitely!

Peace,

Grey Ajurahck

• Prophecies In Kodak
    16 years ago

My title's are usually.. Completely irrelevant to the poem. Just something to catch someone's eye and make them open it.
    I think sometimes.. a little wit or a pun here and there should be in titles. No one expects my titles it give my poems away, and in my opinion it should be like that.

• Emily E Mehigan
    16 years ago

The title is important, mostly because it will attrached a reader to your poem. Most poems have a title that connects with the poem. Sometimes a title can mean something about the poem, ot make the poem more clear. Take A Dirge by Percy Bysshe Shelley for example. The poem is very easy to read, but the title, a dirge meaning a song of mourning, really gives the main idea away. Try to at least make the title an important line or phrase in th poem.

• Hollywood
    16 years ago

I think that you should just think of a tital then write about it.but if you are just like me and you write the poem 1st then you should re-read your poem and see what words you use more or you can just use a deep word from youor poem and that could be your tital.

• Kenny
    16 years ago

Titles MUST relate to the content of the poem really, in cases they don't, a poem often tumbles down. It depends to you ^^,

• Chemically Corrupted
    16 years ago

I think a title is what captures someone interset in the peom

• sibyllene
    16 years ago

I have so much trouble with titles.... I can hardly ever think of ones that aren't riduculously lame : ). When I DO come up with titles that I'm satisfied with, they generally do more than just describe the poem; they help put the poem into perspective, and even offer a fresh view on the content.

• SpEcIaLmE
    16 years ago

I usually have trouble trying 2 think of a good title cuz i usually have no idea what to put as it

• X Kashies Misery X
    16 years ago

No cause it normally comes naturally

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

I think a good title draws the reader to the poem...

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    16 years ago

Sometimes I start with a title and build the poem around the idea of it (e.g. Soulwound) and other times I deliberate over a title for so long I end up just using a line from the poem itself. That's a bit of a cop-out, I think (unless it's a really good line, of course) but it's often better than a really contrived title.

My favourite poem title is one I used that parodied a landscape by John Constable, titled Salisbury Cathedral From The Meadow.

• MorbidCupcake
    16 years ago

I agree, usually my poems only get read or commented if they have a really good title. That shouldnt be what people judge by, but unfortuately everyone does it anyway. I either think of the title before I write, and write the rest based off of that, or take it from words I used in the poem, or what it means. Either way, writing it helped me mentally so who cares if it gets commented.

• MorbidCupcake
    16 years ago

January IS a good title!
    I like what you have already.

• fearose
    16 years ago

January is good unless you can think of something completely random and elegant that works. I think January pretty much sums it up though.

• The Angel of Secrets
    16 years ago

The title does attract the reader, but its really crappy when you see this great title, and the poem is really bad. So, yea, title and poem should be on the same page.

• X l i l T a n i X
    16 years ago

They should both be good

• MysticBlood
    16 years ago

Well, on my part, I would try to think of something catchy and something that relates to the poem. But I try my best not to give out what my poem is about.