How do I get better :(

• Rachel
    16 years ago

To be able to become alot better at poetry, how often do I need to be writing? Also, what kinds of things will help me to get better, like techniques and practices?!?!

• Gem
    16 years ago

All i can say is, to get better is to practise. There;s no set rule for how much you have to write or what you have to write.
    Write when you want about what you want and as time goes by, you'll gain more confidence in your work.

• Jenni Marie
    16 years ago

Practise. Practise. And practise some more.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Pracrtise and read alot

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I think the more you write the more you will explore ways of writing and how to improve.

• Amy Hernandez
    16 years ago

Most the time I grab a pen and a paper and write mostly starting as an accual poem and just changing infinitately the last 2 poems I have written seem to mean more tome then anything I have ever written and .. I kinda think we are our worst critic as we say but when we accually do .. seem to have enjoyed writing it as well as reading it over and over.. thats whan we know it is the best we can do writing is how to improve your writing.

and to reply to everyone above me .. you should read the dictionary and look up "Practise" because practice .. is spelled w/ a c =]

• claire
    16 years ago

Try different formats - triolets, haiku, freeform, whatever. plus try editing old poems, or writing several versions of the same verse and deciding which is best.

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

Greetings,
    Not sure if this will help, but I had posted a topic entitled NOTES ON WRITING POETRY(there are so many topics on the subjects included-individual topics posted elsewhere, but I believe this is the most broad and inclusive) it's quite lengthy but it covers a variety of topics and has valuable input from many P&Q members. It is not meant to tell you how to write, but to be a place of reference/help/advice to others-a place where many of the questions put forth repeatedly in these forumns is addressed, mainly to offer suggestions on writer's block (tips/exercises to break it. Inspiration, ideas, etc.), exercises to spur creativity (whether form, style, type of poem, content, etc.-just some stuff to try when blocked or to try something different), various poetic terms/definitions, a variety of basic stuff and technical stuff, submissions and poetry markets (where/how to submit your work) and perhaps some stuff to improve/expand your writing/poetry and understanding. Unfortunately the thread was locked due to it's length, but it still can be read/accessed under the WRITING POETRY forumn entitled NOTES ON WRITING POETRY or at

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=56674.

I had received many favorable messages/comments on this thread and many requests to start a new thread as a continuation on the things/idea of the NOTES ON WRITING POETRY topic (check out the original Notes On Writing Poetry (at the link given above) for an idea of what type of things others and I posted), so I did respond and start a continuation of that thread.
    The new thread is called NOTES ON WRITING POETRY-Part II and can be found in the WRITING POETRY forumn and is at

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=86274

I am asking all members contribute and post things that could benefit others. Including such things as advice on certain forms, articles, tips on breaking writer's block, recommended reading,the links to sites that contain information, exercises, poetry terms, forms and their defintions, etc. basically anything pertaining to poetry writing. Also your personal writing habits (I've found people like to read about not only advice/suggestions but also the personal writing/working habits of different writers), like what time of day you write, do you have a favorite place (inside or outside, even more specific), do you listen to music while you write,when you first started writing, do you write rough drafts on the computer or with pen and paper, do you revise rough drafts or leave it as is, have you been published, what your influences are (other poets, writers, songwriters,teachers, etc.), is solitude necesary to you or not, what compels you to write, emotions, passion, to get an idea or meaning across, do you write for yourself or with someone in mind, how and when you started writing, writing as therapy or release, do you have a preferred form /style(sonnets, rhyme, free verse, haiku, etc.) and why, writing exercises, any other advice(personal or technical),if you could write any advice, as to why and how you write,when you started writing, what compels you, any specific methods and motivations, any personal methods, moods, habits and philosophies, advice to others,and other things I mentioned, and MAINLY what poetry means to you. Any advice to newcomers and established poets alike. I hope to hear/see postings from those popular and more experienced/knowledgable on the site as well as those newer members who have something to add. I welcome and appreciate any comments along these lines from any and all P&Q members-everyone has something to say. So if anyone can add anything at all along these lines, please do so.I hope to see a wide variety of age, countries, opinions, styles and opinions. Don't be shy. I feel any input/comments/advice/opinions would very much benefit others.

So hopefully there is something here for everyone. Worth reading through(I hope).
    Even if you don't care to add to it, it is still worthwhile to read for all the information/advice/exercises/tips it has. I'm sure, given all the information plus the comments/contributions of esteemed P&Q members, that this thread has something to offer everyone, whether it is a specific question or just gaining knowledge. At least that is it's purpose. Though as I said, it is quite lengthy, but well worth sifting through.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you for your time and support.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• XBroKenXyetXHeReX
    16 years ago

Nothing can really help with actually getting better--you just have to love writting and thinking about ideas....well it doesn't really matter how much you write...sometimes it can but not always....just think about things that interest you or things that happened in your life and write it down....and when ever you get a simple idea write it down as soon as you can so you don't forget later... no body is perfect....and all you have to do to get better is just love it and go with it....

• Viola
    16 years ago

There's a lot of articles on this site that can help you with that.
    But as it's already been mentioned, practice always works best.

--Viola

• Grey Ajurahck
    16 years ago

Just write. Write all that you can. Try different styles and forms, experiment, have fun, write from the heart. My first poems were incredibly terrible but they improved as time passed. Don't give up. Read poetry- both amateurs and the well known poets. Read the dictionary(or flip through it) you'd be surprised, sometimes a word can trigger a poem. Mainly just write. And revise/edit-rarely is a first draft perfect, a first draft can always be improved but give it time, approach it from a different perspective. Hang in there and your writing will grow with you.

Peace,

Grey Ajurahck

• Dorian
    16 years ago

Write from your heart beause at least you know what your saying is from you.

• HopefulxRomantic
    16 years ago

To avoid repeating what you've already heard from other people here, I might also point out that you can get good tips from public writing classes that circulate, or famous writers giving talks, doing the circuits of the towns around your area. Occassionally, one will come along to your convenience, and hopefully you'll walk away with something new to utilise.

• rhonyl
    16 years ago

Am for me you can write better by writing what is on your heart and feel what you are writing. Be emotionalist so that you can make a nice poem.

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

Just do what you want to do

• Alex D
    16 years ago

Do word association exercises like the silly games people are always posting in here. This makes me think of this which makes me think of this etc. Also do things like start with a word and rhyme it as many times as you can. Work on spotting and utilizing alliteration, sonics, and all the other poetic devises you learn in high school english and write short little quips possibly one or two lines long utilizing as many tools as you can and come back later and try and write a poem by piecing a few together.

Of course writing as much poetry as you can always helps as well.

Make sure you're in the proper mood for writing as well. Relax, maybe play some music with extremely well-written lyrics. If your into hip hop, the best lyricist I've come across taking into account poetic devices, and meaningful lyrics is Sage Francis. If your into some sort of hardcore music. Jerry Jones of Trophy Scars is an amazing lyricist as well. Just get in the writing zone.

Also you should subscribe to Dictionary.com's word of the day to help broaden your vocabulary so that you're able to utilize a vast vocabulary of words to help find the word that just sounds perfect.

• XxSINISTERxX
    16 years ago

Read other peoples poems and see what they do to make their poems so interesting. maybe they will inspire you and help you write better poetry. other then that practice your poetry and read it to see what you like about it and what you don't... try and find new interesting ideas for your poems

• Robert Gardiner
    16 years ago

The best way to improve your poems is to continue to pursue your passions (continue writing), to read (find yourself good, well written poetry and read it - especially from some of the established greats - and take what you can from those poems, poets, to improve your own work), to research and study the craft (learn some of the technical aspects of poetry and research well written poem using some of those aspects). If you do these things, overtime, you'll see improvement in and of your work!!!

• Vix
    16 years ago

A good writer is a good reader.

Reading, for a writer, is essential. Read as much as possible, and not just things which you like. Branch in to all genres, forms and subjects. The more you educate yourself, exercise your brain and practise reading the quicker, more intelligent and less ignorant you will become...both as a person and as a writer.

Learn the rules before you start breaking them.

Learn good grammar. Don't just learn what goes where, but learn why comma splicing or misusing semi colons is bad. If you understand the rules you are a lot more likely to feel confident using grammar and be able to use and apply grammar in various and different situations. Good grammar demonstrates respect for the language in which you write. Grammar is not there to confuse or trick people, grammar helps us to understand language and use it properly. A writer, especially a poet, who understands good grammar has so much at their finger tips because that writer is able to use grammar to expound the meaning within their work, but as well that poet is able to subvert, manipulate and toy with grammar.

Do your homework.

Who wrote 'Adam Bede'? What was 'Oroonoko' an early example of, in terms of form? Can you name three major works affiliated with The Beat Generation? Can you recognise the difference between romantic poetry and modernist poetry? Who's your favourite New York School poet? Who wrote the famous poem 'Goblin Market'? How old is the novel form? What's meter and how is it used?

At the very least, a poetry writer should know how to recognise a sonnet, sestina, villanelle and free verse...to begin with. Reading will broadens the mind and deepen understanding.

For every word you say or write listen to twenty words of somebody else.

Listening is a massively difficult skill, not just for a writer, but for any human being. Everywhere you go, listen. On buses, in class, at work, to your parents, to your kids, to your neighbours, to young, old and plain weird people...listen. Listening doesn't just inform the listener of things, but shows them how different people speak, the sound of accents, colloquialisms and dialects, attitudes, pace, character etc.

This all sounds very tedious, but to someone who wants to be intelligent, conscious and insightful there is no substitute for knowledge. If you don't know what you are doing the reader doesn't stand a chance.

• Nick
    16 years ago

There isnt a right or wrong way to write poetry, its all based on how you feel, and your experience in life.

But here are some tips to help you along the way::

1. Constantly build up your vocabulary so you can express your feelings more profoundly.

2. From the moment you pull out your pen/pencil and a piece of paper, let your feelings take control of your thoughts, and let your imagination run wild. If your really happy or sad about something then focus on that one thought and build around it the best way you can.

3. Never let anyone tell you that your poems suck. Because, its your personal thoughts on paper, and 9 times out of 10 the person reading it wasnt there to understand how you felt while you were writing it.

• khate
    16 years ago

Read read and practice practice,.^_^

• country girl
    16 years ago

One main thing i tell people is that your poems don't ever have to rhyme. they just have to flow... you dont need to write everyday.... but it helps. jsut remember the best poems, even if they don't rhyme are ones about you. they need to flow though

• Pink Romance
    16 years ago

Well my teachers always if you read good poetry then you will get better in your poetry, and she also said alot of poets would hand copy other poets poems to understand it better and learn the styles.

but i just say read poetry play around with it in your head and you'll get better in it. emotions will bring your best work out on display.

• XxBR0K3NxX
    15 years ago

Ii WRiiTE ALL THE TiiME.
    EVEN iiF SOME OF MY POEMS SUCK. ii KEEP
    PRACTiiCiiNG AND FiiND WAYS TO MAKE THEM
    BETTER. JUST KEEP PRACTiiCiiNG. YOU CAN ALSO
    LOOK AT OR READ SOME OF THE ARTiiCLES ON
    THiiS WEBSiiTE FOR ADViiCE.

• Spiker 03
    15 years ago

Hey! I hope I can help. I'm kinda new at the whole poetry writing also. People just tell me to write down what I feel and what I want someone to get out of that poem. I know that other ppl on here have said to read and write a lot, and their right. it really does help. You learn different ways you can write something and you also learn things about the author. no matter what though, keep on writing. Its always good to write stuff down even if no one gets it, you'll get it though.

• Spiker 03
    15 years ago

Hey! I hope I can help. I'm kinda new at the whole poetry writing also. People just tell me to write down what I feel and what I want someone to get out of that poem. I know that other ppl on here have said to read and write a lot, and their right. it really does help. You learn different ways you can write something and you also learn things about the author. no matter what though, keep on writing. Its always good to write stuff down even if no one gets it, you'll get it though.

• Kevin
    15 years ago

The best way to get better at poetry is to not just write poems read and listen,,
    but it is to
    think alot of what you want it to sound like ,,and
    what you want the audience to learn from it,,

• Lori
    15 years ago

I think that when you try to get bette than..you only get worse..my advice to not try as hard and have everything you're writing about be from your heart and be completley honest.

• khobo
    15 years ago

Well, I find it helpful to get outside help/critiques, but sometimes it's no use since people just say it's really good. You could also go through the poem a couple of times and see if you can use different words, phrases or whatever. You don't really have to write a lot to get "good." I mean everyone has their own views of what is good.

• David
    15 years ago

Yep practice, and don't be afraid to try new things....

DJ

• Ray Smallshaw
    15 years ago

I don't agree with the person who said you either got it or you haven't, there is always room for improvement if you set your mind to it. Like so many member have said the easiest way to improve is to read lots and varied poetry books but you must also use your imagination and what life throws at you too help with what you write and keep writing don't let anybody put you off. One more thing honesty in poetry as in life should be a must. To a point we may not all become Browning, Longfellows, Shakespeare etc., but who knows, keep trying and if you're happy with what's on the paper that in itself should be your reward, but if your not happy edit, correct, ask the friends you have made here how to improve it or get a mentor all this is possible through this wonderful sites discussion section. Just don't give up pursue your dreams and aims remember critisism is only what another person thinks of your poetry and they too are human. Aas for the smart ars-- who said they were so great.

• xxDaniellexx
    15 years ago

If you really take the time to see what's in your heart than that will be an advantage.

Look....

Let it flow onto the piece of paper, something you can read later and as long as its from you, you will know that it's true. No-one can judge you on your effort but yourself. Keep practicing and you will do just well.

lol

Each word will lead to a new sentence that will lead to a new paragraph to a new poem..

Goodluck!!! =D

• Ed or Ian Henderson
    15 years ago

Bare your soul when you're upset, and bear arms when your angry. Just make sure the pen really is mightier than the sword. These two suggestions are my way of not beating the living daylights out of morons on a daily basis. I'm no good poet, but life gives me inspiration to do things I enjoy. And that's more than most could even hope to ask for.

• Avrii Monrielle
    15 years ago

Write whenever you feel like it. poetry can be a form of your own biography

it can also be your dreams, your emotions towards a memory, etc

• Lori
    15 years ago

^^Agreed

• shenoa
    15 years ago

First of all, never doubt yourself. Your as good as you let yourself be.
    Secondly, yes, read and write. Focus on the type of poet you want to be, the type of poetry you admire the most. And don't stop writting.
    And lastly focus on your emotions, what is it you want to express, or if its a story what your character is feeling.