Inspiration at Night.

• Brittany
    16 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, but this absolutely drives me crazy.
    I'll be laying in bed trying to sleep, and all I can think about is writing, and eventually I form a poem or a couple of good lines, and it's absolutely brilliant, but it's dark and I have nothing to write it down on.
    Then by morning I completely forget.
    Or I'll remember some of it, but not all, which is the worst, because I'm so close to having it.

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

I made it a habit when a teenager to always carry a pen and some folded paper with me at all times to jot down anything that might occur to me out of the blue. I also made it a habit to always keep a pen and notepad by my bed (or couch if I crash there, lol) to jot down any last minute ideas or even any dream fragments if I awake in the night (actually I'm usually awake all night-that's when I do most of my writing). These habits are now totally ingrained in me, and that occasional phrase or line or title doesn't slip away or become lost to me.

Peace, poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• Bryan
    16 years ago

I think alot of writers experience this, i know its my worst habbit with poetry, but like Gary said, carry some paper and a pencil with you, and when your in bed keep a flashlight.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Some do, but for me I can write any time, if im well insipred..

• Brittany
    16 years ago

I've just started to put a note pad and pen by my bed, and it helps SO much. Still need that light though lol.
    Sometimes I find it frustrating that your best work usually comes at times like that though, because I desperately want sleep!!
    But I love writing, so I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a few minutes to a few hours :P

• HopefulxRomantic
    16 years ago

Eventually, you might want to invest in a laptop. I know it's a big step, but a lot of my high-rated poems are written and uploaded about 1am. Bouts of insomnia are great for inspiration.

• Spoken Silence
    16 years ago

I have insomnia. But my computer is almost right next to my bed. So if you cant afford a laptop just move the computer. And actually alot of poems are based on dreams.

-SS

• ABake
    16 years ago

I write a lot at night. I think that it helps me sleep better. So if you don't have a pc handy then just have a notepad or whatever next to you. It always helps. good luck =)

Amber..

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

Im always doing that.. eveynight I have a restless night.. and for months I let it happen... eventually.. I got a lamp but by my bedside.. and I have a notebook and pen next to it.. so im all ready if the thoughts come again... =]
    xx

• santino
    16 years ago

That sometimes happens to me.....
    i usually am inspired at night...

• The Angel of Secrets
    16 years ago

It happens to me all the time!
    Once, I created this brilliant poem in my mind, while laying in bed, and I just thought: Ill remember it tomorrow.

When I woke up, it was gone! Horrible!

• Rachel
    16 years ago

Yes!! Happens to me alot, its rather annoying but if you have a pen and paper by your bed (as you said you have started) then its really just a brilliant place and/or time to get your ideas down.

• TinyDancer46
    16 years ago

I usually have my cellphone charging next to my bed every night. So when words come to me, I just text everything down & save it to my drafts.

This also helps when I'm out & about, because I usually come up with random lines when I am away from my house.

• Teria
    16 years ago

I'm the same, or early early morning.
    I've literally dreamed poems before. Lmfao. And, then I'll wake up and only remember half of it, and try to make something out of it.
    It's never as good, though. :/

• fearose
    16 years ago

My best poetry comes out when I wake up at midnight and just write. When we sleep, our subconscious minds come out. This produces dreams and nightmares and, in some cases, inspiration. Some people say those minds are more intelligent than our conscious minds. So, when we just wake up, our conscious minds are slowly waking up too so you have a slot where you can let your subconscious mind be free. Also when falling asleep. There is a lot of science based on this topic. I forget who told me this but its proven all true for me. :]

• MysticBlood
    16 years ago

Well, when that happens to me, I always have my cellphone to help me..^^..I just write it down, save it for editing the nest day. Or, having a notepad or a piece of paper and a pen or pencil on your desk is always a great help. A flashlight too.!

• Dan
    16 years ago

Yea that is true. It could be 1 in the morning and I'm listening to music and start writing something out of the blue. Usually i remember it once i wake up but it doesn't seem as good

• Dark Secrets
    16 years ago

Yup, thats me! all the great ideas come in the middle of the night, words just start flowing... I grab any pen lying around.. piece of paper and write everying down before they run away, cuz if I don't all my thoughts go away and it's soo hard to write what you were thinking afterwards and even if you do it just doesn't come out the same way.

• kevin Boundy AKA the ghost
    16 years ago

I alway have really great ideas for a poem or a stanza and ill always forget its very frusterating and upseting