What is poetry for real?

• i will love you in the dark
    16 years ago

What do you think poetry is? I mean is it a way to express thoughts and feelings? Is it a way of gaining self-confidence and worth? Is it a way to break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend? I want to know what you think, not what other people think, but what you think poetry is. I have though, and though on this subject, and I would like to know what you think. Thank you.

• i will love you in the dark
    16 years ago

You seem to have much knowledge of poetry. And I do believe you are right "poetry IS everything." I would like to talk to you further on the subject, or any subject really.

• SpEcIaLmE
    16 years ago

I think poetry is just expressing your emotions and writing them into words, creating your own piece of work that reflects your thoughts at the time
    i dont think poetry has to rhyme that its just about having a good flow and keeping the reader well reading

• Dan
    16 years ago

Poetry is just another form of art. You express your feelings and what you think into words that can touch the hearts of others while satisfying your self. Poems don't have to rhyme just have to have a good flow and keeps the reader reading. Poems are a way I can let loose the feelings i have

• Andrew Reed
    16 years ago

It is the rteason our body and the ojects we have are made out of so few shapes,., and what directions they make us think of becuase of how we see them befroore we know what they are

• Cory Mastrandrea
    16 years ago

Words. It is all just a bunch of words. But more importantly, the majority of poetry has proven to be a most terrific way to take simple truths of life, jumble them up, and spit them back out to readers in a most confusing manner.

• Not
    16 years ago

Poetry to me is life effects on people which people explain in a rhyming form as a release or some of there pains and happiness.

• Armada the Gestalt
    16 years ago

Technically, it is prose with line breaks for effect.

To me, it is the creation of imagery through use of language, the showing of emotion through imagery, and the bearing of the soul and thought through emotion.

• Kelsie
    16 years ago

Poetry can be anything. my poems for me are a way of expression. they are the only true form for me to get everythign out that im really really feeling, i can talk to people but i only say so much because i feel like something are better left unsaid. i write on this site because i dont know anyone personally and i like to read the pieces of others and get ideas and thoughts for my pieces from others too. poetry is the most beautiful thing in the world. it can be simple or complex and either way i think it creates beauty. i think when people truly express themselves and are truely passionate about something it is the most beautiful thing in the world because it is so hard to find that, living in our day and age. passion is beauty. writing is my passion.
    peace and love.

• Lord Steven
    16 years ago

Journalism is the highest form of creativity and poetry is the rainbow at the end of all difficulties... (or maybe just the beginning???)

• VanityIllusions2
    16 years ago

Poetry is expression of emotions, which occasionally ryhm? =P

• x0XBloodyFantasyX0x
    16 years ago

It's a form of self expression for me.

• Brittany
    16 years ago

Poetry is my reality.
    It's everything I feel, everything I wish I could say, everything I want to have.
    It's my medicine, my therapy.
    It's my candy, my drug.
    It's hard to explain what it is to me exactly.
    Poetry is the power to create something, anything. It gives us the gift of feeling divinity if we want to. It gives us control.
    I guess I agree with the first response to your post.
    Poetry is everything, it's life.

• ilu
    16 years ago

Well, poetry for me is my life too..except that Its written in a piece of paper....and the difference between poetry and other writings is in a poem, every word counts..

• Invited
    15 years ago

Poetry is feelings written in a different sense on a piece of paper.

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

Poetry is the same as any art. It's a way for our brain to express its creativity and our heart to express feeling. Most times, it's about life. That's because all we know is life. That's why I always say life is poetry and poetry is life. Our brain and heart working together to express life which is the same way you describe being alive. Brain and heart working together to get us through life.

• H E Losey
    15 years ago

Poetry is simply the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts. The only requirement is metre/rhythm without which the words are mearly prose. Today too many younger writers think that there is no need for metre and I know not from whence this idea came. They write verse in rhyme but have no metre at all and this is not poetry.

• Ray Lanthier
    15 years ago

Poetry is the attainment of rapture through the language of dreams. A painting, a piece of music can therefore be poetry, depending on how broad is your definition of 'language'.

• Lori
    15 years ago

It is my life. It is something I can be proud of myself for. I love it:)

• Linda Kennedy
    15 years ago

I have never really thought about why I write poetry..if I were to be honest..I would have to say I think it is the one thing I do very well.
    Call it conceeded if you will, it makes me happy to be able to succeed at something..anything!
    Linda

• BUSSEYBABY
    15 years ago

Well poetry to me is a stress reliever, for me anyways. Its a way to release how you feel emotionally but in a form of art. A good poem thats so in depth and filled with passion or meaning, can make your worst problem seem good, i mean thats sound crazy but thats what a poem can do.