Weekly Contest Winners - March 19, 2018!

• PnQ Mod Account
    6 years ago

Hello, everyone! Congratulations to our three front page winners this week: Michael, Tony and Ren as well as our many honorable mentions. Thank you to the judges for their time and honest thoughts. Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

~MaryAnne

WINNERS:

“Me, Myself; Thy and Thee” By Michael 7 +7 = 14 points
    “Perfectly imperfect” by: Ren 10 + 4 = 14 points
    “The Mind of a Hawk” by: Tony 7 + 4 = 11 points

COMMENTS:

“Me, Myself; Thy and Thee” By Michael

“I found myself fascinated by this poem. The story unfolds of the man facing his demons of addiction, told with a beautiful medieval-style language and flawless rhyming. Moreover, the poem makes many religious references, such as to the Lord’s Prayer, to make the point that such hard, soul-searching self-improvement and reflection was the only way to restore his faith in himself, and could not have been gained by religious exploration. The addiction has also been given the title of ‘Thee’ – which, while acknowledging that it is a part of himself, also gives it a separate identity to the rest of his ‘selves’ (me, myself and thy) which fits nicely with Freud’s classic psyche structure of the id, the ego and the superego. Excellent!” (7)

- - - - - - - - - -

“Absolutely loved the flow and unforced rhyme of this piece as it made the whole piece seem to slip off the tongue with ease especially when read aloud. My initial thought of this was about religion but when I read it a second time it seemed to scream out “I am alone for I have chosen to be and I will make my own decisions and heal myself for no religion will cure me of all the bad I have witnessed in my life” which in my eyes is very powerful.” (7)

“Perfectly imperfect” by: Ren

“I just loved the title of this poem, and straight away placed intrigue into my mind. A title either catches me or it doesn’t, and this one certainly did.
    The author breaks the lines very well, which slows this piece down, as it should be read. The story centers around someone that has been hurt deeply, and as I read it-physically. The author expresses their pain by telling us of being ‘scarred’ and the difficulty of looking at their reflection, until they come to a point, where they accept that (albeit they have been left ‘scarred’) they are beautiful.
    Such a story of strength and overcoming what seems, a time (past I hope) of turmoil and distress. The author has painted this very loud and clear, showing the damning aftermath of violent relationships, which I must say strongly I find very disturbing! However the strength shown here, with the ending truly is “beautiful” I am unsure if this is about the author or another, but I am full of admiration. A hard-hitting piece that’s all too true, sadly. Well done indeed.” (10)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“Truth is, I didn’t know to whom I shall give my “4” points. The 4 goes to the idea of the poem, which can be further worked upon.” (4)

“The Mind of a Hawk” by: Tony

“This poem meant a lot to me, as it should for many others because Hawk has indirectly made
    a lasting influence on everyone's life by what he had granted this humanity from studies and enlightenment.

You chose to address one of the most inspiring figures.

I kept nodding my head in agreement with every single line, it's such a touching piece.

Find the elusive black hole
    Know that you have inspired
    Generations of intellectual souls

^
    I shall emphasize these lines, Hawk is finally free indeed.” (7)

- - - - - - - -

“Here we have a wonderful dedication to an amazing man who has taught me a lot during my life and on that I will never forget. Tony your words are humbling and as ever were fantastically rhymed and the imagery portrayed gets 2 thumbs up from me.” (4)

HM’S:

“Did Not We Cry?” by: Satish Verma = 10 points

“Jamie” by: Jamie = 10 points

“Vanilla sky” by: sinners gospel = 10 points

“Will You Stir If I Write You A Sonnet?” By Ben Pickard = 10 points

“A little light will do” by: Yakari Gabriel = 7 points

“Black grate” by: Ben Pickard = 7 points

“Beautiful” by: Tony = 4 points

“Faith” by: CJ Maleney = 4 points

“Talk is cheap” by: Kitty cat lady = 4 points

COMMENTS:

“Did Not We Cry?” by: Satish Verma

“I am going, to be frank, and honest about this poem. I did not get the key concept behind it.

I chose this as my 1st piece because it was the most powerful in giving me the pumps.

It's so eerie, sad, and the images created are so vivid yet so vague. The title already has set me
    in a certain gloomy mood and as I continued to read I was like, is this a poem to test the judges?

It really took me a while to keep rereading and doing my weird analysis on it, it meant many things to me, and that was my favorite part about it.” (10)

“Jamie” by: Jamie

“A bullet in the guts. One of the very few poems I liked this week. So smart, especially with the contrast between the title (author’s name) and the line (My name doesn't define who I am as a / person). The imagery sounds original, let alone gives you the chills. It’s a piece about vagabonds, about wandering on and about so many years and still not finding one’s self, even in the many burns and cuts. Jamie tackles topics about identity that touch us all. His words may seem raw, but I am sure that it’s a craft only great poets can master with time. I also fell in love with the subtle rhymes here and there. This is the kind of poem I like to hear performed on stage. I would suggest de-capitalizing “Unfortunately” and editing the line breaks to boost the organization. Other than that, very well done.” (10)

“Vanilla sky” by: sinners gospel

“This is just so full of beautiful imagery and moved me very much as it shows love in my opinion in a completely different way to which as ever been described before, powerful stuff.” (10)

“Will You Stir If I Write You A Sonnet?” By Ben Pickard

“This is like a poetry talent showcase masterclass from Ben! Rhyming verse, sonnet and free verse that all flow seamlessly into one another to captivate us; written with beautiful classic language and a content to melt hearts. Bravo!” (10)

“A little light will do” by: Yakari Gabriel

“Indeed, some words are better put in their plain context, with no added salt, not even sugar. Poetry doesn’t need to be ornamented. The author makes use of simple ideas to send a simple message, perhaps not to PnQ poets, but in general. That’s why, *cough* allow me to make use of my current status as a temporary judge to address poets here. You don’t need to force yourself to write. You don’t need to force yourself onto a piece. Poetry forces itself out of you. I’ve been reading so many pieces lately, ones that sound awkwardly forced, especially the ones that rhyme (let alone the unoriginal rhyme schemes!). Breathe. Take a moment. Can you feel what you have written? As Yakari puts it, “Light is always enough”. I strongly second that. Oh, before I forget. “Its” is missing the apostrophe, Yaki. Beautiful, as always.” (7)

“Black grate” by: Ben Pickard

“I really like the title of this poem, which I feel may have many interpretations. What this poem held for myself is the authors- disliking for the cold. They sit in front of their warming log fire in their chair which they describe as their “chamber”, as this is where the author feels at comfort, and who knows what their “chamber” really is! This may lead to the author drifting into their deep thoughts.
    The author paints wonderful comparisons, which hold a strong significance to how ‘cold’ affects them (which I may add the use here of metaphors are ‘top-notch’)

The author even goes to the extent of feeling ‘aroused’ with the feel of warmth, which may also be to do with someone close, who can change the mood of them, and with this someone ‘blowing hot and cold’ or, even the author is simply reflecting ‘within’ themselves. Which is what makes this piece curious to the reader. The layout and rhyming flow very well, which provoked my thoughts, and certainly a joy to read. Well done.” (7)

“Beautiful” by: Tony

“Tony has given us many wonderful poems this week, but this stunning free verse is as beautiful as the title suggests. Beauty comes in many forms, and hats off to the man that can see past the exterior and focus on what lies beneath. Superb!” (4)

“Faith” by: CJ Maleney

“There are many aspects to talk about regarding this poem, but I do not wish my comment to be lengthy and boring. I'll suffice with stating the main points.

The poem is simply written but holds many several lines, the flow was good but was ruined in the last stanza, however, that did not affect its likability to me.

Faith indeed is a controversial topic, many religious people cast their accusations against those who have their doubts, forgetting that to have faith is to question and to be curious. Believing while raising questions on scripts is, in fact, a very noble type of faith. We all believe in our own ways, and that what makes life so beautiful and diverse. A lovely write and a great message.” (4)

“Talk is cheap” by: Kitty cat lady

“Drag your lies across my skin” The author caught my attention with this really powerful opening line. The author then took me on a journey of their suffering through lies and deceit. Which I am sure this piece of writing will relate to many. I felt a real deep pain, as the author penned each stanza with someone I imagine is/was close to them. The author also (as the title states) ‘Talk is cheap’ I feel trusted this person implicitly, only to find out the truth, which I sense was devastating and their words were not worth anything in the end, which makes this a very sad story.

I liked the use of ‘metaphors’ which worked well in this piece, also I enjoyed the rhyming scheme here (a,b,c,b) which gave the poem a nice flow, and short enough to capture the scene. My only suggestion would be to maybe change the word ‘baby’ I’m not too keen on this word in poetry, however this is only my opinion. Well done.” (4)

• naaz
    6 years ago

Marryanne, thanks for hosting this week.
    Wonderful poems selected by the wonderful judges once again and many thanks to them for doing that.

Wow, Michael sir is back once again!

Thanks to our hardworking moderators for running this site and giving us this wonderful platform to express ourselves.

Everyone is contributing to this community in their own way to make it more and more beautiful.

Congratulations to everyone, front page and hms, and those who were nominated.

Love you all!

• Brenda
    6 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Wonderful writing all around. Thank you judges for your time and Mary Anne for hosting.

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

Thanks to MaryAnne for hosting and congratulations to all winners, HMs and nominees. Thanks so much to the judge for the lovely comments on my piece and to Michael for nominating it :-)
    =^.^=

To the temporary judge addressing poets in their judging comment with this:
    "...That’s why, *cough* allow me to make use of my current status as a temporary judge to address poets here. You don’t need to force yourself to write. You don’t need to force yourself onto a piece. Poetry forces itself out of you. I’ve been reading so many pieces lately, ones that sound awkwardly forced, especially the ones that rhyme (let alone the unoriginal rhyme schemes!). Breathe. Take a moment. Can you feel what you have written?..."

... I'd like to say that I very much enjoy both reading and writing rhyming poems, (as well as other styles) and weren't 'unoriginal rhyme schemes' THE original rhyme schemes? I think poetry really is 'each to their own' ... don't assume that rhyming is forced ... maybe that IS what's being forced out of the poet? If you don't like it, don't 'like' or comment on it - but don't put down those that do enjoy it?

• Jamie
    6 years ago

Thanks for pointing out my errors judge. Much appreciated. My poems are purposely raw and unfiltered because that seems to be my style now. I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to vote for it. :)

• Ben Pickard
    6 years ago, updated 6 years ago

Poetry doesn’t need to be ornamented.
    ^^

To a degree it does, else it is simply prose.

As for the rest of that comment - who the hell do you think you are? Perhaps someone who simply cannot rhyme 'cat' with 'mat'.
    I think this judge is a prime example of someone who would like to quietly put the boot in rather than getting on with judging.

'Pompous' doesn't come close...'cough'

• Michael
    6 years ago

Hi All :)

Thank you Mary anne for hosting

Congratulations to the winners who made front page news, and all the HMs awarded this week.
    Thank you to Mark for nominating my poem and to the two judges for their comments, and all the judges who give their time.

However- there feels like a 'grey cloud' this week, which is such a shame. What I would say in all honesty, that things are spreading all over PnQ and it now seems that an issue has arisen with comments being made, and counter-comments. I just feel that this competition thread has now become infected somewhat. The competition thread is a place for 'judges decisions' for the winners and HMs. a place where once a week, writers may feel proud that their poem has won. A place to thank people behind the scenes that make this happen once a week. A place of celebrations!

I am passionate about the competition, and so lovely to see writers each week, with their winning poems. I'm sure their are changes we are all aware that maybe could improve the competition in ways, but until then, not much can be done.

I really do feel that any issues regarding judges or comments, should be away from this thread, and a message to the Moderators. I have read through, as I always do each week and in truth I do feel that there are some issues to be looked at (judging and comments), however I really do feel that this thread is not the place to 'air' words, as it takes the beauty away from here. I really do say this with a neutral ground in mind, and only what I have read today Its just I have mentioned before, a real shame.

Much love
    Michael :)x

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

I couldn't agree more Michael, but as the temporary judge said "allow me to make use of my current status as a temporary judge to address poets here" - (and the mods have allowed that comment to be posted 'here'), then 'here' felt like the correct place to respond to that.

Really, the judge should not have been allowed to use their praise of the poem they were voting for to have a dig about their personal preferences on what they believe poetry is. This could have been nipped in the bud.

I too usually love this thread, and I'm upset that the snipe was allowed in it.

• Ben Pickard

I agree to an extent, Michael, but that's all well and good for the ones that have won. For the rest, it feels like their poetry is being treated harshly. Judging is about picking a poem and stating its merits and why it was picked - with some possible improvements - not to use as a platform to make such sweeping and offensive comments from someone who probably knows no better than anyone else. Then it just feels like an excuse to make a point rather than a valid comment/vote.
    Unfortunately, while there are comments like that, the 'celebratory' feel of this thread will always be tarnished.

*edit - I don't think poems/poets need to be so forcibly chastised in order to highlight a judge's choice - that is absolutely not the point of the competition and certainly spreads none of that love and peace we all seek.

• Michael replied to Ben Pickard
    6 years ago

Okay, don't get me wrong. I can certainly see where the issue has stirred from and I'm sure any other poet will read this for themselves, and I can also see how writers can become upset, which we all have every right to. No doubt!

The only way in truth this can be dealt with is through the Moderators. I just feel that, as we all have experienced in the past the threads become uncomfortable, and very personal. The truth is that if none of us learn from what has happened before, we are just going to continue in a very 'stale-mate' situation.

I really strongly feel, that issues which are seriously effecting other writers, should really now be sending private messages to the Moderators with all their concerns. I would say that if answers are not coming back from issues that do effect other writers, then that would not deem fair on a member. I just really do not feel it will be sorted on a thread, such as this one and the chances are it will again spiral!

Also there are some great comments from judges on this thread too. Important to see positive as well

Thanks
    Michael :)

• Larry Chamberlin
    6 years ago

Thank you, judges for your raw thoughts this week and your choices for the front page are worthy. Congratulations to the winners and HMs. Thanks, MaryAnne for hosting.

While it may be correct that the comments focused on are harsh, let us not take them on as a personal attack. We can learn from all sources if we but hear the wisdom and turn from the emotional import. I find myself guilty of forced and stilted rhyming at times, even to the point that I have deleted some of my poems from embarrassment after returning to them. I certainly cannot cast even the third or fourth stone.

• Hellon
    6 years ago

To the members who have pm'd me hinting that they think I may be the temporary judge let me just set the record straight I am not!

To the temporary judge in question, I think you may have misled members into thinking it was me by using *cough* something I do quite often in a comment. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, perhaps you were trying to stitch me up for some grudge you have towards me but, either way you obviously don't know me very well. If you did you would know for sure that, if I make a statement, whether it's agreeable to everyone or not I put my name against it quite openly. I do not, and never have needed a temporary judge's mask in order to do so.

• Poet on the Piano

I admire and have even more respect for judges who speak honestly, even if their opinion is unpopular. It's refreshing. It's the beauty and frustrations of a critique. Call it rude if you will, but it was still this judge's viewpoint and the comment was not meant to offend. What's even more mind-blowing is that it was suggested we as mods should have policed this judge's comment. There is nothing wrong with the comment. It was an intelligent, vigilant commentary on something I've observed as well.

I'm disappointed and kind of in awe that people are jumping on the bandwagon to say how harsh the comment was when I found wisdom in it. You are all free to define poetry how you want, that's freedom of expression. So I find it ridiculously ironic that some people feel the need to demonize this comment. Honesty is to be valued. You're allowed to be super critical if you feel a poet is just trying to play or please the audience, or if a poet's stanzas are forced. That's called maturity. That's how we grow. You always have the option to take it or leave it at the end of the day. It's laughable to me that so many are offended when the comment didn't even mention anyone in particular; it shows a lot about who we are as people. What's the point of writing and participating on a site if you want to sit in comfortablilty?

We need more mature critiques and not people playing into this idea that we need to be coddled as poets. It's the real world. Bring on the brutal honesty ;)

• Kitty Cat Lady replied to Poet on the Piano
    6 years ago

Yeah, but how do you really feel about it?

I don't and never will feel that it's OK for a judge to use their space to praise or critique a poem, to be telling everyone that they don't think it's cool for poetry on this site to be 'unoriginally rhyming' ....

... on a poetry site?? That's what's ironic!

It was clearly an inflammatory comment ... as you say ... this site is about the freedom of expression, and poets should be free to write in whatever style they wish without it being ridiculed.

I think this would be a really sad place if everyone was as brutality honest as you suggest ... if we all ripped into each others work. If you don't like a poem, then don't comment on it? We all understand who does and doesn't like the styles we write in based on who does and doesn't comment. It's not rocket science. I don't think that makes me coddled or pampered and nor do I feel this is my territory, or any of the other delightful things you mention in your poem.

As for this point "What's the point of writing and participating on a site if you want to sit in comfortablilty?"

There's every point! We're not all trying to break the mould! I do that in other areas of my life ... here, it (was) just a comfortable place where I could express myself creatively, in a style that is 'unoriginal' but I'm totally ok with that.

• Sunshine replied to Poet on the Piano

Thank you Marryy for posting and great job front page winners and HMs. Thank you, judges, for your time!

Over the years I have witnessed so many tensioned debates over various topics, but this, I have not seen before. I think it's the first time for a judge to be so honest from behind the scenes, and, if I had to be honest too? I thought it was more than okay! I too see many forced poems, including nominated poems, but to each their own, what I like is different from what others like, and I always stress the freedom of choosing whatever poem any member wants for the competition regardless of content, coherence or concept. Anyone is allowed to use their nomination button to whatever rings their bell.

I do not think *cough* was intended to target Hellon either unless the meant judge has an evil sense of humor and lots of free time? XD - but, let's take it easy, I remember there was a very talented member in the past, Dany. When he made comments, he made very harsh yet very constructive criticism, coming from an academic background as far as I remember, and his notes were always helpful. He would come and tell you, "this line sounds boring, this is forced and this is cliche." I understand that some people like it to be sugar coated, I understand, but since the judge was pretty talking in general, I don't believe anything is wrong with what has been said, at all, honestly, feel free to go tear up my poems, it won't make me love them less, we should all accept what other people think of our work, so long they don't attack us on the personal level, we should all be ready to receive unpleasant feedback. Just my thoughts though.

• Jamie
    6 years ago

Personally, I enjoy having my poem ripped apart because it helps me grow as a poet. I wish people would criticize poems more.

• Ben Pickard

The problem comes when we say that someone is allowed their opinion and should be free to voice it but then we tear into members for being critical about THAT comment. Isn't it the same? You can't have it both ways. Either people are allowed their voice or they are not. There are those here who argue the judge had every right to make that point (I agree, just not like that) but it must follow, in turn, that I and others can be unhappy with that point and voice our concerns.
    Unfortunately, like is nearly always the case, you are allowed a free voice as long as it's politically correct. Doesn't open-minded mean everyone has a say?
    It doesn't matter how many times people spin this around or try to stand it on its head, there is not an intelligent person on here that would take that comment well - and it doesn't matter if it was personal to any particular member or not. The judge is clearly using their position as a platform to get at a certain type of poetry (or are we all too thick to read between the thick, blatant lines?) and that is not what the competition is about. They picked a poem, and then highlighted it by degrading others work.
    Let me get this straight, here. Don't think I have taken this personally as has been levelled at me by Hellon on MA's poem page. I wouldn't take this personally simply because, if the judge was attacking my work, I wouldn't be half so wound up - it wouldn't bother me as i know they are wrong. Forced rhyming? never. I excel at that and there is not one person on this site bar one or two who could give me any lessons in rhymed or metered poetry. Arrogant? Maybe but I don't think so - I am simply telling the truth. I can guarantee that this judge knows nothing in comparison to me about writing an unforced, rhyming poem, whether they would want to or not. My free verse on the other hand, is appalling in comparison. But then, I understand that free verse is too often like playing tennis without the net and people post absolute nonsense that wouldn't stand as good prose. (I think Bob Shank made that comment once and was demonised for it - but remember, it is only my opinion and - apparently - we are allowed those, however they are put, so I hope no one dares attacking me for it. We shall see.) If it is aimed at me, and I should be taking it personally - to that judge, I apologise but I would say that in this instance, you are out of your depth.
    No, it is not about me and it is certainly not about looking for sugar-coated comments or being 'pampered', MA. (Very moderate, by the way. I seem to remember posting a poem that was from the heart - at that point at least - not long ago and being slammed for it - although not quite the same, I will give you that). It is about standing up for whoever was being attacked and being brave enough to give my opinion - that this was simply rude, discourteous and unnecessary. It - clearly - has had a negative effect, there can't be much argument about that.

*By the way, to the winners, you have my heartfelt congratulations and Michael, you are right and it is a shame, but I feel that this point needed making. If a judge is going to be 'brave' enough to post those sorts of forceful, sweeping comments, they must expect a reaction. The truth is, they probably don't care anyway...they are clearly not a sensitive soul. I do hope that isn't too sweeping a statement and God forbid it is taken the wrong way

• Hellon replied to Ben Pickard

If we can put this into perspective Ben...yesterday you were angry at the judge whom you considered to be rude, today you are angry with just about everyone because not all came out and agreed with you. Poetry as you have stated in the past is subjective, so are nominations and in the end, decisions made by judges. You have also, in the past, defended the judges when others have questioned their choices, now you have come full circle attacking the judge and attacking MA's poem in a very rude manner IMHO contradicting everything that's you previously said on the main boards.

Forced rhyming? never. I excel at that and there is not one person on this site bar one or two who could give me any lessons in rhymed or metered poetry. Arrogant? Maybe but I don't think so

Pompous? Who's pompous now old bean???

EDIT

BTW...I can't be sure but I have a feeling the temporary judge is part of the little group you seem to call 'friends' on here :)

• Ben Pickard

Hellon, who am I angry with except that judge? Please clarify and give names. I don't believe MA's poem is a moderate one and I still don't believe that this judge has gone around their comment in the right way (it has nothing to do with choices by the way), simply the way it is put. As for MA's poem, the content itself quite literally screams out for honesty - the kind she is accepting of in regards to the judge - so I won't apologise for that.
    As for my comments on my own work, not at all. They were balanced. I understand that my free verse is hopeless (nothing pompous in that) but I also understand that my rhyming and metered poetry are of a high standard (just truth, or am I wrong, Hellon? If so, how would you suggest I improve - I am always open to constructive advice)
    As for my 'little group of friends' comment - grow up, for god's sake. It's like being in a playground with you sometimes, what with your snide remarks and your conspiracy theories. How old are you? Everyone always has an agenda and there's always something to answer for - it's pathetic. If you knew anything about me, Hellon, you would know that I have no friends other than my wife and children. I keep myself to myself and generally despise human beings. Surprised I hear you say? Ah well, that is simply because you are in no position to possibly know who my 'friends' are.

*And here we (you and I) go again. I am aware how cliched and pathetic this is, but you being a terrier will not let go and damned if I will so I guess it's gloves off for the next few days... Believe me, that doesn't make me happy.
    The daft thing is, I gave an opinion like we have all been told it is okay to do, and you are reacting like this. You see how it's confusing...

• Sunshine
    6 years ago

Honestly Ben, this too doesn't concern me, but since you're the one defending opinions being voiced, allow me to kindly say that your anger and words are harsher than an anonymous judge pointing out that they've been reading forced poetry lately and suggesting that people need to breathe and read what they write again. There is nothing wrong with that, it's wrong to dare people and warn them against attacking you while being so angry and sharp over a subjective matter.

I think everyone should not take anything personal over here...spread some love and joy, you are all poets.

• Ben Pickard replied to Sunshine

Sorry, Rania, my gripe isn't with you - but how have I 'warned' anyone?

*Has that comment spread 'love and joy' and was it subjective? it didn't say 'in my opinion' or 'i think' - it was statement not an opinion.

• Sunshine replied to Ben Pickard

You just sound very angry with your written tone, that's all, your choice of words is not helping you send the message you want, just as the judge used harsh words to make an opinion, you too are using wrong expressions while addressing whoever is reading your reply;

I don't want to copy paste your words up there, just accept my humble unworthy opinion that your words are very angry and harsh.

• Ben Pickard

Right. I've been in these positions too many times and I know they never end well for me. If I can't ever learn, I can't ever grow. I am aware that my opinions are not always to everyone's liking but they are only my opinions and all I really mean is it is important to clarify this for everyone offering their views ever - judges included.
    Believe it or not, I don't like confrontation and I do love this site (remember, it wasn't me that first aired their issues here) but I don't like that so much hate can be spread so quickly when all it should really be about is the poetry. I am also aware that I escalate things sometimes in anger - like Rania says - and so I really am done there.

A genuine best to all on this thread.

Ben

• Kitty Cat Lady
    6 years ago

We're ALL allowed our opinions ... it's clear some of us prefer traditional rhyming poetry - and others are bored with this. It's fine to have a discussion about that ... what isn't fine - in my opinion - was to address 'all poets' within a (quite condescending) comment about a poem while they are a temporary judge. If they felt that strongly about it, they could have started a thread, with their own name, and opened a discussion.

We're not all here to 'grow' as poets ... I think that is organic and happens over time and constructive criticism is indeed helpful ... but where is it? Where are all of your comments helping me grow and improve? I'd never claim to be a 'great' poet - and that was never my aim either. I'm guessing you've all been doing what the rest of us do ... if you've got nothing nice to say, you don't say anything at all. If you were unsure about publicly helping me 'grow', you could have privately messaged me?

Until then ... as much as I enjoy some free verse, I really enjoy reading and writing rhyming poetry (which was my original point). So sorry to those of you who are bored with traditional rhyming stuff ... but that's likely to be the majority of my posts - until I too, am enlightened and wise like yourselves. I also won't be writing a poem - rhyming or otherwise - to have a dig about how I feel about this.

I'm not going to say any more here, but if anyone actually does want to help me improve (and by improve - I don't mean tell me how to get out of my comfort zone and write free verse), please do comment on my poems or message me and it will be well received.

• Milly Hayward
    6 years ago

I joined this site two years ago because of my love of reading and writing poetry and found it a place full of nice people all with varying talents and expertise. I felt like I had become part of a lovely sharing community full of creative minds all sharing thier one common goal the sharing of poetry.

However over the last six months I have seen an escalation of bullying, (passive and otherwise) nastiness and a spreading poisen that is destroying everything that was nice about this site. What message does this give to the world or people new to the site?

We are a poetry site with many different personalities and motivations for being here and we all have to try to find some way of getting along so that we can all enjoy the site.

There are lots of strong characters here some nice and some not so nice but there are also a lot of sensitive and vulnerable people who come here to be part of a friendly poetically driven site and whilst some like negative feedback others can be incredibly upset by it.

Why not therefore keep negative feedback to private messages or for the poetry feeds specifically designed for such discussions?
    It would make for a much happier and productive environment.

This is a site for all types of personalities and inevitably disagreements ensue but let's try and keep them off the boards because this is turning into a war zone that is fast destroying this lovely site.

• Ya----Na
    6 years ago

Thank you so so so much judges for highlighting my poem this week
    once again,
    for giving your valuable time
    to read and comment
    on our work and
    our moderators deserves praise too
    for all their efforts.
    It's an honor to share honorable mentions
    with front page winners and other HMs.
    I want to thank all the pnq friends
    for all their love and support and
    motivating me to write better.
    Em thank you so much for the nomination.

• silvershoes

Coming into this thread now and reading all of the comments, this is what I see: Those suggesting this thread has turned sour are the ones responsible for it.

The judge's comment is critical. The comments on this judge's comment are arguably more critical and harsh. I'm taken aback by some of the words I've read in this thread, and not the words written by this judge.

Judges must remain anonymous for the success of the contest. Therefore this judge is unable to defend him or herself.

We have an almost impossible job recruiting judges each term, and the members of this site make this job increasingly hard for us by picking apart the judges. These are volunteers volunteering their free time for the benefit of this site and all of us.
    While I don't think the judge was targeting any specific poet, even if they were -- they are are entitled to have their own taste in poetry just like the rest of us, and we would only need 1 judge rather than 5 judges if everyone agreed on the best poetry.

I am grateful from my heart for the judges who volunteer each term. It has become a more daunting, thankless job. I am likewise grateful for those who thank the judges each week and try to make them feel appreciated. I know it means a lot.

Huge congratulations to the winners and honorable mentions. Well done. Thank you to our host, MA.

• Ben Pickard

I said I wouldn't come back to this thread but I need to say this after some reflection.
    I do believe that there has been a certain amount of overreaction to the judge's comment, not least by me; for that, I sincerely apologise. Surprisingly, I am quick to temper, quick to upset and highly sensitive. All I would say is that my disquiet was in support of all - not just because I felt slighted, which I genuinely didn't particularly.
    Having said that, I stand by what I said to a point. We all need to be a little more aware of each other and careful how we say things - again, that includes me to a larger extent. The way the judge worded their comment made it strike as a pretty damning and arrogant statement - not opinion. If we all agree that poetry is subjective, then there is no room for statements like 'that rhyme is forced' or 'that is unoriginal' - these things can be mentioned, but only followed with an 'in my opinion' or something of the like, else it is just a statement that doesn't support open mindedness.
    Whoever is right or wrong - and perhaps neither side is - there can be little doubt that this comment has caused friction and if that is disregarded, then there is no open-mindedness at all on display. Perhaps we should all accept that both sides have points, both valid or otherwise, move forward from them and learn or this will keep happening.
    I believe there is a way to be constructive without being destructive. And, again, that includes my own involvement in these discussions.

All the best

• Sunshine replied to Ben Pickard

Well said Ben, well said. I agree as well.

Also very kind and mature of you to come back after a reflection and say your honest opinion but in such high manners.

Now you actually followed my "statement" :p and did spread some joy.

• Meena Krish replied to Sunshine
    6 years ago

Congratulations to the front page Winners and all those who received a HM!

Thank you judges for your effort, valuable time and constructive comments...
    much appreciated, and thank you MA for hosting :)

• mossgirl19
    6 years ago

Before I opened this thread I was happy to see that it has around 30 entries. I thought many poets are sending in their congratulations to the winners!

Don't want to spread bad vibes a little further, but here we are again!

I honestly think the comment is arrogant and destructive for the community. Since our temporary judge was allowed to express his/her honest sentiment...allow us also to express ours.

Anyway, the three winning poems are amazing and all deserving of the win. Congrats to the winners and the HMs as well!

• Jamie
    6 years ago

Just something to think about: the reason you read the same types of poems each week is because people keep nominating the same poets over and over.

• Lost One replied to Jamie
    6 years ago

Only so many people have nominate status. They have their tastes. I noticed that as well in the year I've been back to the site.

• silvershoes replied to mossgirl19

We have allowed everyone to express themselves and have not suggested we would do otherwise, whilst many have asked (in one way or another) that we not allow the judge to express him or herself. Kind of funny if you think about it. No? Maybe that’s just me.

• Mark replied to silvershoes

I agree, moderators should ensure judge comments are confined to the particular poems they are voting for. Broad negative commentary of pnq poems are beyond the role of judge.

Now should this subjudge express him/herself? Of course, we all are free to do so, but the judging notes is not the forum for such comments. Why? Because the role of judge is not to be used as a cloaking device for what is said beyond the role.

This person is free to start a thread with these thoughts... Under their own pnq name. But I sincerely doubt this will happen... And the reasons as to why this still won't happen, is what I think is funny.

• silvershoes replied to Mark

Mark, valid points. As a community, we have talked about what a judge should include in their comment(s). This might be the first time that what a judge *shouldn't* include in their comments has become a topic of concern.

• CJ Maleney replied to Lost One
    6 years ago

I agree

I will often nominate one of my favorite poets but I also trawl for the obscure, dark and dirty.

One to think about Jamie!

A little while ago I nominated one of your poems, only later to be informed that it was one that you had deleted and reposted and it had been nominated on its original posting.

I felt somewhat deceived by this, even though there was nothing personal in it. It makes the cogs turn

Craig

• CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

Been a while coming as I've been watching things unfold and wasn't sure how or if I would respond and thus get caught up in it all. Guess that's inevitable!

Anyway I procrastinate

congratulations to ours winners and all who received honorable mentions Stirling works guys.

Thanks to all behind the scenes who keep things running you are appreciated even though we may not always agree on things

Regards

Craig

• CJ Maleney

When you post a poem on here you leave yourself wide open. It's a chance you take, it's that simple

When I first joined I got pulled up quite a bit as I just typed and posted without proof reading. Sometimes what seemed to others a grammatical error was intentional for the poem to flow.

Truth is I don't care! I write for me (very occasionally for someone else these I scrutinise throughly) I write to release or to let something that inspired me flow. Not for acclaim or praise but for me.

If someone likes what I write then that makes me smile, if someone hates it "who cares". Their opinion will not change my being or my life one iota. Your words are more important than theirs.

From what I've found most people are considerate and are quite simply lovely individuals. When I've had poems or rhymes critiqued in the past where the individual has found fault or something they didn't like on a personal level, they generally said what the issue was. This is the way it should be

Now let me catch up to the present.

If you're going to put yourself forward as a judge then you have a duty. A duty to be fair, a duty to be honest, a duty to be unbiased and rather importantly a duty of care.

If you are going to rip a poem apart then why are you voting for it? If it's so detestable and so flawed! Choose another if it's not up to your standard.

The critique on mine was a double edged sword but I simply laughed at it.
    More or less said the poem rhymed well but was ruined by the last stanza.

No explanation as to why, no oh it didn't rhyme properly, it didn't flow or fit the context of the script !nothing!

Just ruined!

Do I care? Nope not one little bit. Others however are not as thick skinned as I. They may find such things upsetting. This ladies and gents is where your duty of care comes in

I've been a judge, not once did I conduct myself in such a manner and if I decide to give it another go I won't then either.

Perhaps that is just me. But hey I kinda like being me

Regards all

Craig

Add on

Rhymes flow they are not forced, if it ever felt like it was a struggle I would never write a rhyme again, or anything else for that matter.

• Lost One replied to CJ Maleney
    6 years ago

I've never read a life from you that was forced Craig. Even when you wrote under AiresRising.