Do you learn anything at school about poetry?

• Nici
    19 years ago

We learnt about all the classic poets and their works.

Sometimes we were allowed to write poems, but they had to be in certain styles and you were always very limited as to what subjects you could write about. Nothing that may offend anyone, is to graphic or controversial.

I think the best poems I have written were done after I left school and was able to use my imagination more and write what I wanted to write about.

Nici.

• Shædow Poet
    19 years ago

We didn't even learn about writing poetry in a subject decidated to creative writing. In year seven, we learnt small parts of it, but apart from that... nothing.

• unprotected lover
    19 years ago

well my english class doesnt talk alot about it but in middle school we had to and some in elementary but i just quit learning about because the poems i learned to write i couldnt bring out my emotions i learned the most from my friend. the poems i write now had nothing to do with what i learned at school

• Liz Suffecool
    19 years ago

at our school in middle school we went over poetry for about a week... but we had poetry contests and I was published in one of the books they published and handed out to the students it was really cool just to read what some people in my school had to thought that I never talked to

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

I never learned poetry in school - I dont think I even had the opportunity or compulsary act to read any shakesphere - sad isn't it
    Then again perhaps it was my choice in units
    Then again school seems so long ago maybe Im wrong - interesting topic all the same

• Natalie84
    19 years ago

I wrote my first poem in English class in middle school and I had a writing class where all we did was learn about poems and write.

• Heather M Craig
    19 years ago

ahh yes, i have a poetry class (just dedicated to classic and modern poetry) 4rth period. As of now, we don't learn a lot but i have strong hopes that i will at the end of the semester. English classes never provided poetry that i liked but this poetry class is different.

• vanessarrr
    19 years ago

i have creative writing class as an elective... so not everyone in our school gets it. yeah, we learn about different kinds of poetry but only the easiest ones that are like meant for grade school :( but we do learn about elements of poetry and such.

• ♥•oOo Nikki oOo•♥©
    19 years ago

English In Highschool On Levels 1 & 2 Advanced Definatley Shows Poetry In Romeo n Juiliet...Hamlet & Such

• »«¤ß詤»«
    19 years ago

we learn a little bit in english not much though mostly revision from other years

• Idiosyncratic
    19 years ago

we're learning about poetry right now, but i dont think my english teacher knows how to find symbolism.. i mean how can a grey cat symbolize a tomato? seriously? i hate studying symbolism, anyways, cuz my teachers are always idiots, but yea....

• Jacklyn
    19 years ago

we kinda did and kinda didn't, but it's what got me started writing poetry like a year ago and now i got about 94 poems! PLP

~lil slam~