Weekly Contest Results June 10th

• Meena Krish
    4 years ago

Good morning everyone, once again our judges have done a wonderful
    job to make this contest a success and their continuous efforts are very much
    appreciated! Thank you judges for your time and effort. This week our front
    page winners are Everlasting with her poem Aww, Scott Cole –Bone to pick and
    Linda Leavers poem Wife of Aries...congratulations and congratulations to all
    those who received a HM for their outstanding poems!

WINNERS:

Bone To Pick by Scott Cole: 7+10=17

Aww ( 9 syllables) by Everlasting: 4 +7=11

Wife of Aries by Linda Leavers: 4+10=14

//COMMENTS//

Aww ( 9 syllables) by Everlasting (4 points)

Short but tells a story all people will understand no matter what. Great read
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Aww (9 syllables) by Everlasting (7 points)

Now call me what you may. However, I had to research this title being ‘Aww’
    and so I was informed it is a ‘text language’ for a sort of ‘overjoyed’ expression. A
    word used to give a feeling of one in such ‘awe’ of something (which is where I
    thought it had derived from!). Anyway, now I understand this word on a deeper level,
    it led me onto ‘why’ such a title was used. One of the shortest poems, I have ever
    come across. But! The impact of such a scene, with mum and baby captured in a
    moment of time- of life! An image of ‘bath-time’ where this author and their tiny joy
    (being their baby) splashes and giggles, and mum is in pure wonderment of her tiny
    joy, that holds such a beautiful, un-timed and un-rehearsed moment.
    You had me after ‘9 syllables’ with this moment of purity!
    Beautiful... beautiful!

---------------------------------------------------

Bone to Pick by Scott Cole (7 points)

Scott's poem this week I'm sure many of us on this site can relate to, broken
    hearts. He wishes his heart was made of a sturdier material so when heart
    ache came it wouldn't hurt so much, it wouldn't break so easily. He does this
    wonderfully rhymed and with a smoothly flowing write. Well done Scott!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bone to Pick: by Scott Cole (10 points)

This is an old song that always repeats and presents itself to every living hearts, and
    poets, on the center of it: O, if I had a heart made of stone, (bone here) I would not
    be heartbroken as often as I have been. Though the comparison of the muscle tone to
    the bone, or stone, whichever, is that that the urge of survival and protection as a
    greatest instinctive force, pushes us to heal our heart, mend the wounds and get strong.
    But the paradoxical nature of love is always within us, exposes our tenderness to feelings,
    our capacity to love to embrace the harsh reality!

But in this part: “It'd need less protection
    To fight off false affection,
    So steadfast and true

Hardly ever black and blue.” The poet is implying that the bone needed as some
    kind of skeleton to give the soft tissues of feeling some back support, to stand
    against everything that is harmful to the soft tissues. Though on the contrary
    to the poet wish, love is like a pearl, it would never appear unless the soft tissues
    are under attack by the harsh world representatives.

----------------------------------------------------

Wife of Aries by Linda Leavers (4 points)

Linda writes unflinchingly the life of a stay at home mom with two small children.
    It ain't easy that's for sure. You feel like you are losing your mind being the referee
    to cherubic looking ninja assassin's that you are convinced will do you in one day.
    The days are long, the tasks feel thankless. You are spent, unwashed and feeling brain
    dead but when those little darlings are asleep in their beds, it all fades away. I can
    relate to her thoughts as I'm sure many of us mom's and dad's in this site can. Thank
    you for sharing this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wife of Aries by Linda Leavers (10 points)

I read the title, and my first thought was this is about living with a partner who
    was born under the sign ‘Aries’ and I would read an account of the personality of such
    a star-sign. I started to think ‘ah okay, a fire-sign’ and I would come to read the traits
    of such a sign, and how that impacts on the writer. However, as I read this poem, it
    formed the image in my mind of how the writer gives an account of her role as a
    ‘mother’.
    A mother-writer, (careful with that usage, as its closely related to another word used
    in the swearing category!) that tells her story of how her daily routine unfolds. The
    caring of little ones, and all such other chores. The start of this piece has a very powerful
    opening, which sets the scene. A strength of intensity threads all through this poem,
    and then unwinds at the end ‘his brown skin melts into me’. A mellow ending that I
    could feel just from reading.

The writer has penned their piece with the use of language, that has such an edge
    to it along with such strong emotions expressed by the writer.

One part of this poem that ‘lifted’ with force off the paper is: “The shower, that hasn’t
    seen me in days, is bone-dry” which has such a significance with the theme here.
    This kind of writing conveys such a ‘depth’ of feelings expressed by the author. It
    need not hold any ‘frills’ just an honest account of how this mother writes of her
    day, and all that comes with it! ( This could be a passage of a book, of a bigger picture,
    in my thought!) A really powerful and emotional write.
    A jolly fine job.

• Meena Krish
    4 years ago

HM:

This Place (Rondeau) by Michael: 10

Being LGBTQ+by Poet on the Piano: 10

Ma Dawgs (collaboration with Chatterbox909 Sphynx): 7

A Magical Poetry Land by Ben Pickard Points: 10

My Lenore by Ben Pickard Points: 7

You Can't repay that debt by C.J. Maleney: 4

Peacefulness by Dagmar Wilson: 4

Winter tide (Haiku String) by Hellon: 7

Lost by Tanya Southey love: 4

//COMMENTS//

Being LGBTQ+ by Poet on the Piano (10 points)

I love lgbt poetry because it's just so grand it's like a tree's roots it's one being but
    it can reach everywhere! We are, who we are and there shouldn't be a shame on
    being what we are even though others don't approve! That's clearly the message
    here and I hope that everyone can post this in their social media for pride month!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Ma Dawgs (collaboration with Chatterbox909 Sphynx) (7 points)

I laughed from start to finish, that's cause life is, what it is with your
    furry children, they have attitude, kindness, love and the best thing
    loyalty to those of us they call best friends. I love reading everything
    with pets in them. Great poem and pet your dogs for me they sound grand!
    Winter tide (Haiku String) by Hellon (7 points)

“Outside my window
    a naked fig tree shivers:
    as russet leaves dance”

I wonder if there are still russet leaves, left on the trees why are they called naked.
    Maybe half-naked would be more proper, but the “syllabus count” would not
    allow it. Besides that, this is breath-taking imagery of a wintertide. The use of the
    fig and the specification of russet leaves brings the haiku to life:
    “above, bleak sky frowns
    storm clouds gather to gossip:
    melancholy day”

In wintertide, the bleak sky gathers its storm clouds. They are silent but you could hear
    the murmur of a whispering storm, conspiring, getting ready: a perfect metaphor
    of the “silence before storm”
    perched upon her limb
    a robin heralds winter;
    his presence welcomed.
    But the winter inference is truly heralded by a robin. The presence of the robin
    heralding the winter, storm clouds are gathering to whisper and the naked fig tree
    with the russet leaves is so picturesque. It describes winter in a silent, Haiku
    mood, that everything is as real as ethereal.
    ----------------------------------------
    Peacefulness by Dagmar Wilson (4 points).

I love the tranquility of this simple, but! an effective piece of writing. The author
    I feel has an ‘artistic’ side to them, as I felt this was a painting I was looking at.
    Some times its just how simple words are used, which brings such imagery to life.
    The author reflects on how they watch the ‘night-time’ that gives them a sense of
    well-being and calm, a place and a time for them to write their story, which holds
    such peace and beauty.
    Lovely!
    ------------------------------------------------

Lost by Tanya Southey love (4 points)

The poem starts with an emotional burst like this: “It’s not that you are lost
    it’s that I am gone”
    right away you feel the discrepancy between the two sides.

Then ‘gone’, turns to ‘no longer’, because the feeling is deepening and oolong
    infests on that by pointing at the hollow of the absence she has made. Then the
    poet introduces another curve to the string: “It’s not that you are lost
    it’s just that I am found
    in another place and time
    but you return…”

Now it seems that she is slowly making it clearer that she is gone, she is no longer
    there, not because she is lost, it is because she has really found herself without him
    in the picture. Or maybe she has evolved to the present time where all the
    experiences are applicable where he still lives in the mental gratifications of the
    pasts. Though still, she wants to let him know that it was she who made the act
    of disappearing, not his neglect or lost:
    “…but you return
    in the first three bars
    of a favourite song”
    It feels that man evolve slower than women. They get stalked to the sentimental
    “first three bars of a favourite song”
    The familiar places are to hold us behind perhaps, they are necessary, but on the
    contrary they must make us move and to go ahead, not to keep us static in the
    pasts.

--------------------------------------------------------

You can't repay that debt by C.J. Maleney (4 points)

There has been a lot in the news about the war recently and how many people
    died for our freedom. So this is a topical piece. I can relate to the low tolerance
    and frustration of the writer for people who sit comfortably in their homes with
    no threat to life or lifestyle, whinging about their rights seemingly oblivious of
    how many people died for us during the war and how many people still continue
    today to suffer starvation, oppression, violence and death who barely have any
    rights at all.

I wonder how we would fare now if we had to refight the same wars with the
    technologies of their time but with the pampered people of today? Would we
    still win I wonder or would they be high tailing it in the opposite direction.
    (I'm not talking about the qualified soldiers but the thousands of young men
    and civilians that were drafted in during the war)

The last stanza... "The sea may now look gentle. As it laps against the shore. Not
    washing away the blood of men. Who died in thousands by the score" should
    serve to us all as a vivid reminder of the thousands who died for us in the war
    so that we could live without oppression. Yet even after the two great wars - as
    a species we have failed to ensure basic human rights for all human beings.
    There are still today people who continue to sufferer without those basic rights.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My Lenore by Ben Pickard (7 points)

The haunting scenery sets a sad tale of lost love. Every stanza takes the reader
    visually through the memories of the writer slowly revealing their relationship.
    Each stanza punctuated with the recurring line "But she doesn’t come to the
    beach any more creates a sense of foreboding in the readers mind and raises the
    question... "Why doesn't she come to the beach any more?" It makes for a compelling
    read that cannot be put down. Each line flows and delivers powerful imagery and
    feeling. "Her lips used to quiver - oh she teased with her mirth, and she danced like
    her feet were as one with the earth" is just sheer poetry. Then towards the end –
    the mood changes the words of Dear Lenore become "callous and blisters - they
    scratch and they irk" giving a more darker feel. As a reader it felt haunting and
    left that hollow feeling of loss when he is left in a spiral constantly replaying the
    ghostly memories of the love he has lost forever.
    A Magical Poetry Land by Ben Pickard (10 points)

This is a feast of a poem and feels like two poems for the price of one and both
    send a powerful message. It asks people to draw a line in the sand and not let
    others ruin what has been steadily built in your life. Don't let the spite or mean
    spirit of people put out your light and cast you into the dark. Pettiness and
    unreasonable grudges all push us further down into the sludge where you can
    drown and there are people who would pull you into the mud but don't you let
    them drag you down with them. Instead rise up, clean yourself off and get back
    onto the land back into the sunshine

The second half of the poem takes a more personal slant. It helps puts everything
    into perspective. The fears of the health of an as yet unborn baby makes petty
    disagreements seem so unimportant. There can be no greater concern than that
    of a parent for the health and life of their child. When you find out that finally
    your child is safe then that must really feel like the spreading of magical gold dust.
    The last stanza says it all. Life is far too short to waste time on pettiness and
    disagreements - such things mean nothing when weighed against life, death and
    health. Instead we should rise above such trivialities and move forward, grasp every
    day, find the sunshine in things, to write and humbly give to others all that you can.
    In an effort to make this world a better place - to build the ultimate magical poetry
    land. For me in a world full of war and conflict this is a powerful and uplifting
    message that asks that each of us consider what is really important and discard
    that which is not.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    This Place (Rondeau) by Michael (10 points)

Michael's poem this week brings everything home why we love this site. We
    come together as a collective to share our triumphs and failures. We share
    loss and new beginnings, love and hate. From the heavens to the hell in our
    own minds we are able to grace these pages with our written word. I, for one
    love this site and adore Michael for writing this lovely tribute to P&Q!

• Brenda
    4 years ago

Congratulations to all the front page winners and HM's! Beautiful writing everybody! Meena, thank you for hosting and thank you judges for making the hard choices.

• Milly Hayward
    4 years ago

Congratulations to this weeks winners and HMs and huge thanks as always to the moderators for hosting and the judges for judging best wishes Milly x

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hi all :)

Congratulations to the front page poets this week! Also all HMs awarded.

Thank you to all the fine judges, who spend time working through all the nominations and their time :)
    Thank you to the judge who voted for my poem and your lovely words, much appreciated.
    Thanks to Hellon for nominating

Much love, M :)x

• Mr. Darcy
    4 years ago

Golly and gosh, what a week of poetry. Well done to winners and HM's and big, no, huge thanks to our judges and Meena for hosting. :O)

• Ben Pickard
    4 years ago

Thanks for the two wonderful comments on my poems, thank you to the judges for their time and a huge congratulations to the winners and other hms.

• Hellon
    4 years ago

Congrats to the winners and other hms. This started out as a single haiku and I added the other two a couple of days later. I think I changed the last line in the first one and I probably didn't make it clear enough that the leaves were on the ground. sorry about that. Thank you for your lovely comment I really appreciate your time. Thank you to Dagmar for nominating it and thanks to the judges and mods for your time.

• Everlasting
    4 years ago

Thank you for the comments and for the nomination

Congratulations everyone

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Congrats to all! Many thanks to Meena, for hosting, and for the judge's comment and vote. Yes, there should be no shame in being our authentic selves!

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Congrats to Luce, Scott & Linda and to the HMs. Thanks to the judges and to Meena for hosting.

• CJ Maleney
    4 years ago

massive thanks to Meena for hosting and to all our judges.

Well done to all nominated, wins and HMs.

massive thanks to the judges who voted on both my poem and the collaboration with my Dani. she's well chuffed with the HM as an I.

respect one and all.

Craig

• Linda
    4 years ago

I am completely shook. Thank you guys so much. What a warm welcome. This just warmed my heart so much.