One new thing to learn in 2020.

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

It's almost midnight here in Indiana, so I wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

I'm not big on resolutions, mostly because I have put too much pressure on myself in the past. Though it's good to have expectations, to be the best "you" you can be, it personally did more harm than good. I like to think of what I can learn in the new year instead. Something silly. Something serious. That's my resolution.

In 2020, I want to learn more Ludovico Einaudi pieces on the piano (he's a contemporary classical pianist/composer). I don't play music at my church anymore and some of my spirit is gone. I miss sitting in our living room with the house to myself and just letting my emotions run. When I play piano, I'm in tune with myself. When I play for no one else but me, it's the best feeling in the world.

If you'd like to share, please do so <3

• prasanna replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Happy new year!

I can't think of anything at the moment, but just wanted to get your opinion on his latest albums? Did you like it as a concept? Favourite pieces?

• Poet on the Piano replied to prasanna
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

To be honest, I haven't really listened to more than one play through of his latest and nothing particularly stood out. Since I haven't really sat down and listened again, it's not fair to make a judgment yet. I've heard his music called "predictable" by friends who think he is overrated and to a degree, if I think about it too much, some parts are predictable or reminiscent of other pieces. There is a sense of comfort though in that familiarity and one of the reasons why he may have become so popular. Playing it, I also notice the repetition and basic chords he focuses on. I like that in a way, as I don't listen to much classical music, and it makes his pieces seem more universal. Sometimes the melody seems simple, but it allows my mind to wander and open up. I used to sit at my piano and just improvise. Even if it wasn't a complicated melody, I was in the moment, and that's what I love about playing. Even if it's the same thing over and over, each time I can add new meaning or tweak the tempo slightly etc. It doesn't have to be up to anyone's "standards". If you're connecting with the notes, and you're playing with emotion, that will come across. My favorite thing is watching covers of his pieces! Seriously love watching a pianist lean on their own interpretation and feel the piece.

Was it you who introduced me to him? I think someone on here did years ago. What are your favorites?

Also, want to be able to play without looking at sheet music some compositions by Joe Hisaishi (Studio Ghibli), since Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and Princess Mononoke hold a special place in my heart.

_

Enough of my rambles! Someone feel free to add to our thoughts or post something you're passionate about learning or exploring!

• ddavidd replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Learning how to frame a house.

• nouriguess
    4 years ago

I don't like making resolutions either, MarryAnne. It never worked for me. I'd rather say the things I have learnt during 2019:

- I learnt how to hack into -any- peer reviewed paper.
    - I learnt to cook (after eating too much junk food got me severely sick for a whole month).
    - I learnt much more Deutsch than I thought I would.
    - I learnt that teaching is the most nerve-fraying job ever.
    - That I should try to understand why bullies are being bullies, without being judgmental and jumping to conclusions.
    - That I should stand up to condescending, antifeminist men, even if I live in a society where it's offensive and indecent of women to stand up to condescending, antifeminist men.
    - That emotional independence is much more important than financial independence.

• Milly Hayward
    4 years ago, updated 4 years ago

Happy New Year everyone.

I have set myself just one goal this year and that is to learn how to make a series of Harry Potter characters. The learning curve will be working out which medium to use (air dry clay, fimo etc) how to use the modelling tools and create the figures, the style etc. The difficulty being imagination, concentration, energy levels and the current issues with my right wrist and hand. Its going to be a slow process and not necessarily completed in one year but my ultimate aim is to create some nice characters that I can be proud of.

• Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

ddavidd, that sounds like hard but rewarding work, best of luck!

Noura, you are so freaking inspiring. Proud of you and especially love the wisdom of emotional independence. I look up to you ^_^

Milly, I know how much you love Harry Potter from what you've shared in poetry, what a neat project! Do you work with clay often or what kind of crafts to you like to usually do?

Thanks for sharing!

• ddavidd replied to Poet on the Piano
    4 years ago

Love!!

• Larry Chamberlin
    4 years ago

Learn to turn ceramics on a pottery wheel and create two funeral urns

• Obscure
    4 years ago, updated 3 years ago

content is no longer available