Weekly Contest Winners - June 15, 2020!

• PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago

Hello everyone. Rania here. Hope all is well!

Three judges volunteered for the current period. However, only two were able to vote and comment this weekend. Next week we'll have all three hopefully, or even more?

Two poems received 10s and two others received 7, so the site broke a tie between The Music is Near by ddavidd and ...by Star for 3rd place.

Below are the comments by the judges for both front page poems and HMs.

Thank you for those who volunteered to save the situation. Thank you all for being and staying part of this community.

**********************************************Comments

Fan Pandit by Cassie hughes - 10 points

I have to admit, I was caught on the hop a little this week and only knew I was judging yesterday, so whilst I can attest to having read all poems thoroughly, I haven't quite had the time to write any meaningful comments. This will improve, however!
    Anyway, this lady has been on and off the site over the last few years and she always seems to go about her business in a quiet, elegant and entirely competent manner. This poem is no exception; the use of language and rhyme throughout is sublime and I am very happy indeed to be able to award it a 10.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bay by Daniel - 10 points

“This poem contains the mystery, elegance and melody that keeps you hooked until the very end. Whilst reading the poem, I could not help but wonder what “it” was. Usually, when such a mystery drags on for too long, it is easy to lose the reader. However, Daniel managed to string together a beautiful chain of thoughts and sounds that immerse the reader from the beginning. It had just the right amount of lines; then the word “coagulation” suddenly packed a punch in the previously soft/subtle descriptions. Suddenly it became concrete, and the desire to read on was amplified. I loved the ending: how the “mobs”, “hordes” and “deafening static” created a very stark contrast with the softer “stirs”, “reveries” and “shifts” in the previous stanzas. This was a compelling and well-constructed write. Although I am not sure I grasped the topic exactly, I am still full of emotions that make me want to read the poem over and over again to find out.” (10)

The Music is Near by ddavidd - 7 points

“The music within this poem was very present: from its flow to its subtle rhymes. I loved how the rhyming scheme changed around. Not sure if this was intentional, but I felt like some words were echoing throughout the poem with very subtle assonance in the middle of sentences:
    - Stanza 1: like/lights/inside/life’s
    - Stanza 2: tinkles/distant/mirage/thin
    - Stanza 3: colourful/carol/soul

This playful rhyming kept the flow dynamic and powerful: I imagine a strong orchestra of music that leads the reader through both lows and heights. The piece starts with a seeming “low” beginning, wondering if the poet is insane for hearing music in his ears… and ends with a lighter note of triumph, confirming that the music is indeed there. It’s almost a celebration of life: from its peaceful twinkles to injured souls, to joyful tears… then back to peace again. Very crafty.” (7)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~HM's

... by star - 7 points

The formatting and the language combine to give this a thoroughly claustrophobic air and left me gasping for...well, a breath! Excellent little piece.

Mimicking Nothingness by BOB GALLO - 4 points

“The first line already started with a powerful image. Usually, hourglasses are observed with the eyes, as we watch each grain of sand slip away. However, here the poet decided to make that anxiety even stronger… how the persona is so focussed on the hourglass he can actually hear the grains of sand whispering to him… and the panic that it creates: the onslaught of time! It certainly felt like a bit of a theatrical poem because of the exclamation marks, but in this case I think I enjoyed the amplification of this single hourglass-image.

Whilst the first stanza felt rough and theatrical, the gradually peaceful tone of the second stanza perfectly mimicked its imagery. It’s like being sanded and sieved… taking off the rough edges, the rough grains… going from water to wind… to nothingness. Thoroughly enjoyed this philosophical write, it kind of reminds me of a Salvador Dali painting.”

Fairytale by Violet Raven - 4 points

This is a beautiful little write which comes from a writer who frequently lends her accomplished use of vocabulary to poems of a darker nature. This left me warm and fuzzy after reading, however! Lovely.

• Larry Chamberlin replied to PnQ Mod Account
    3 years ago, updated 3 years ago

Congrats to Cassie, Daniel and Ddavidd for the wins and to Ddavidd also for his HR, along with Star & Violet Raven.
    Thanks, judges, you have been missed.
    Thanks for posting, Rania.

• Ben Pickard
    3 years ago

A healthy week for the contest: 29 nominations, some wonderful poetry and three new judges.

• cassie hughes
    3 years ago

Thank you so much to the new judges for stepping up and for my win and congratulations to the other winners and HM's. All very well deserved. :D

• Star
    3 years ago

It is a good surprise, having judges this week and getting a vote ^_^
    Thank you for all three judges for stepping up and Rania for posting!

• Poet on the Piano

Congrats to all and thank you, Rania, for posting! Many thanks to our judges as well!

• D.
    3 years ago

Thank you, Rania, and thank you so much judges that stepped up. :) Really appreciate the comment on my poem. It was an extremely personal one, so it means a lot.

It must've been tough as Ben said, there were many excellent poems this week up for nomination.
    Congratulations Ddavidd and Cassie.

Hope you all have a great week!

• ddavidd

Thank you judges, host, Rania, and Mark.
    Love you all

• Meena Krish replied to ddavidd
    3 years ago

Thank you very much judges!!!
    Congrats Winners and HM's and thank
    you for hosting Raina!

• BOB GALLO

Note to the judge:
    I think the message on my poem" Mimicking ..." is exemplary of what a proper comment should be.
    the judge so cleverly and wit such an ease implemented a constructive criticism that begs compliment.
    Personally I could handle hard criticism if it is not personal, but in this site, this, is perfect and should be studied and practiced in my humble opinion.
    So witty!!