Save Palestine

• nouriguess
    2 years ago

“The international community has recently witnessed Israel's forced expulsion of Palestinian families from their homes in East Jerusalem's Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood and attacks on the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound during the holy month of Ramadan. Below is what needs to be understood from the historical perspective to understand the dramatic events unfolding as Israeli violence against Palestinians surges once again in occupied territories:

In the aftermath of the 1948 expulsion of Palestinians by Zionist gangs to pave way for the creation of the state of Israel, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were forced to flee their homes in historical Palestine to neighboring countries.

Following these events, which came to be known to the Palestinians as "Nakba," or the Catastrophe, 28 families settled in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in East Jerusalem in 1956, hoping that would be the last time they are forced out of their homes.

But these families, whose number has grown to 38 since then, say they are experiencing a renewed Nakba on a daily basis.

The Israeli Central Court in East Jerusalem approved a decision earlier this year to evict four Palestinian families from their homes in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in favor of right-wing Israeli settlers.

Israel's Supreme Court was scheduled to issue a ruling on the evictions last Thursday amid heated demonstrations and clashes between Palestinians and Israeli settlers, but the decision was delayed until May 10.

In the event that the court rules in favor of the settlers, the Palestinian families will lose their homes. Other families will face a similar fate.”

https://www.dailysabah.com/world/mid-east/what-is-happening-in-sheikh-jarrah-of-east-jerusalem-past-and-present

• nouriguess
    2 years ago

Yep, exactly what I thought.

Does nobody in the west give a damn about a massacre if it’s committed against arabs? What is that? Racism? Arabophobia?

As a multilingual person, my duty is to post this and translate it into as many languages as I can, and spread the news to all the people I know or don’t even know. Because I know the media there wouldn’t cover these crimes.

Palestinians are being KILLED, KICKED out of their houses, attacked. Three children have died so far. Politics aside, it’s INHUMANE to be okay with that.

• Star replied to nouriguess
    2 years ago

What you’re doing is great Noura, I didnt think of translating!

#savesheikhjarrah and #savePalestine are trending
    in twitter. not sure if it’s in our region only though

• nouriguess replied to Star
    2 years ago, updated 2 years ago

Thank you, Star. Peoples’ hashtags actually help raise awareness about these crimes. Where do you live?

• Star replied to nouriguess

I’m in the Middle East. And I agree, they do raise awareness I saw a peaceful protest in London in one of the two hashtags. The news is traveling?

Also I think no one is commenting because it’s a sensitive topic. Maybe they don’t want to say something wrong.

• Keira Pickard replied to nouriguess

• Poet on the Piano replied to nouriguess

I am not on social media anymore, but is there anything else I can be doing to spread awareness or any specifics?

When I did frequent Instagram there were several accounts with large followings that had slideshow-esque info on important human rights issues, which I think helped to let people know this is still happening and not to become so desensitized. Information is power. Can't speak for others but I've noticed and felt that helplessness myself, in not knowing what to do. But I can only hope talking about it, and how much Palestinians have faced, is crucial. To have the facts straight too.

Also, I feel like the general public (at least in the Midwest) don't realize that criticizing Israel and speaking/posting support of Palestine is not anti-Semitic. Why can't anti-Zionism be discussed without it being equated to anti-Semitism? In talking to people close to me, it's sometimes hard to understand and many don't want to come across as saying the wrong thing. But there's nothing that can be defended about how Palestinians are treated and have been treated over the years. Nothing will ever make that okay and I wish more prominent people in the news/media would condemn this. There is so much Israeli propaganda even here.

• Darren
    2 years ago

I haven't seen anything, I'm not surprised living in the UK. Our media is racist for sure, controlling what it thinks is newsworthy.

People are people wherever they live on our planet.

As a father I hate to read anything like this especially if it involves children.

• Rayven

Westerners don't care because the United States president and the United states media are all pro Israel. And they are 'funded' by the USA military budget to destroy whomever they want to. Unfortunately unless the USA stops funding nothing will be done.

• Darren
    2 years ago

Now seeing and hearing on the news here, however it is very pro Israel. Makes me sick.

• silvershoes
    2 years ago

I feel awful about what's happening... Most of the information I have gathered has been from my Jewish friends who are very troubled by what's happening as well. The #JewsforPalestine hashtag is trending on Instagram and Twitter, as well as #FreePalestine, #IStandWithPalestine, #FreeGaza, etc.
    Yesterday, Orthodox Jews marched through New York City in solidarity with Palestine, carrying signs that said, "Stop Jerusalem Expulsion and Free All of Palestine." Like MA said above, it is not antisemitic to protest Israeli policy and stand up for Palestinian rights. Israel (a nation) and Jews (a people, also members of a religion) are not the same thing. I saw someone on Twitter wrote, "Israel has only existed since 1947. Jews have been around for about 5781 years. Don't get it twisted."

This is what I know about the Biden Administration response (or lack thereof): https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/05/14/biden-israeli-palestinian-gaza-crisis-diplomacy-blinken-netanyahu-hamas/

Noura, yes, sadly there is a lot of racism and anti-Arab sentiment -- xenophobia in general -- that drives what is deemed newsworthy in the West.

• Sunshine replied to silvershoes

In extension to what Jane has said, if you can't get a clear image of the real scene from your media, just resort to social media instead, Twitter, TikTok and Facebook are far more credible than Western/EU media today. You can watch the "Ethnic cleansing" live.. But then you have countries like Austria flying an Israeli flag in solidarity.. so :] [:

• Sunshine

This is not new, but it's an eye-opener for those who don't really know much about the real situation and would like to learn more about it. I, as someone like Noura who lives in a neighboring country that shares borders with Palestine, can affirrm the credibility of every word said in the below videos.

A short version:

https://youtu.be/M_vG_tONW84

And a longer one for those interested, and it's worth watching, especially the 2nd part.

https://youtu.be/aLz5wu0BTR4

• prasanna
    2 years ago

US approved a $735 million weapon sale to Israel. Over the years the democrats have been more open to criticizing Israel but Biden doesn't seem to share that sentiment. US also blocked UN statement on condemning Israel's actions for like the third time recently.

As for the western media not caring too much about it, seems par for the course. A lot of countries have treated their own indigenous extremely poorly or have history of colonization, seems like they're more likely to turn a blind eye to what's happening in Israel, and it's not right. Has anyone ever glanced at the social media pages run by Israel? It's straight up propaganda, and it's sickening. I pray a ceasefire is achieved soon, and the world does something instead of standing idly like it usually does.

• ddavidd

Everyone who has been a member since 2014 knows how passionate I am about the injustice forced upon the Palestinians. In that era, the Gaza strip ... I with some Arabic members like Rania, Abed and ... posted some passionate literatures in defend of the victims here, but after, I was the only person that was chased by the Zionists of this site I was the only person who got slammed. They call me antisemitic and no matter how much I cried out that Palestinian and Arabs are also semitic, and how could I be antisemitic defending their right that passionately, did not land on any solid ground.
    But even the Arab member who witnessed how I was slammed by those individuals defending Palestinians, and therefor Arabs, did not move a finger to help me and I was cornered by them ( zionists) until Larry hammered the final nail, using my childhood epithet (Aria) which I used it in this site ~and even stopped using it 6 years prior to that, ~ to imply I was indeed an antisemitic. It hurt me so hard that I deleted my account then, Larry however apologized for his action privately, but continued to mistreat me even farther. Now even though he apologized on another mistreatment occasion, I still have my doubt if he is a part of Zionist structure of this site.
    So therefore, even I am so passionate about the subject of Palestinians, I am going to keep my silence and not to participate in this any farther, for I think it is useless in this site first and secondly, I strongly feel that I was left alone and betrayed by my friends who I came to help, maybe because I was not one of them.

• Larry Chamberlin
    2 years ago

Ddavidd &/or Bob Gallo,
    I just want to apologize in advance for the next ten things you accuse me of mistreating you, whatever they may be.

• ddavidd replied to Larry Chamberlin

The intelligence in which you responded here Larry made me laugh not out of ridicule but out of apriciation.
    Haha you are telling me those apologies, actually, were pacifiers :) :) Then offering if the crybaby wants some more:) :)
    To be truthful the second apology, I saw through it but the first one seemed verry sincerer.
    Anyway, I am glad we did this conversation. I had to get it out of my system. It was compressed somewhere deep. Now that is said I feel how useless is holding to these feelings especially when one believes in karma.

• silvershoes replied to Sunshine

Thank you for sharing these videos, Rania.

I strongly dislike Joe Rogan for some of his extremely sexist, privileged, and ignorant beliefs, but Abby Martin is insightful and intelligent. I like her very much. She tweeted 3 days ago: "Biden approves $735 million in "special munitions" weapons to Israel amid their massacre of civilians, including 60 children. Biden has also blocked 3 int'l ceasefire attempts, giving Netanyahu the green light to kill as many as they please. War crimes only continue w/ US backing" and, "Unless we make it impossible for our politicians to have a moment of peace, the US will never stop supporting Israel, no matter how many atrocities they commit or international laws they violate. This can be a breakthrough moment! We have to keep up the pressure NOW. EVERYWHERE."

I wish Biden and his administration would wake up. I'm so disappointed in my government. Hiraeth, well said.

Ddavidd, is it appropriate to bring up previous PnQ debates and make this conversation personal when the subject is regarding those who have suffered and died in the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict? I'm confused why you are making this about you.

• Sunshine replied to silvershoes
    2 years ago

Definitely agree with what you said regarding Joe Rogan, and Martin is brave and sincere.

As for Biden or any US administration, the states will always be on Israel's side. They are more than just strong allies. The connection goes back deep into the basis of the US forgein policy as well as its structure. The best Biden, or any US president could do in this regard, would be "offcial talks" and "statements" to avoid further condemnation from the international community regarding it's double standards.

Some ties, situations, conflicts and beleifs have become realities. A major part of the world will not witness any change in my opinion, not now, not later on.