So, it happened.

• Poet on the Piano
    1 year ago

Woke up this morning to see the news that Roe v. Wade was overturned and there is no longer a federal constitutional right to abortion, which I knew was a possibility, but it still felt surreal. It shouldn't be a surprise considering how many states in the US already have restrictions on abortion access and reproductive rights have been in jeopardy for awhile, but it also feels like another step into uncertainty. Of stepping back. Of going into this era where it's going to depend on each state and what they have already enacted/what this decision will make it easier to enforce. I don't know the language surrounding what will or won't be illegal in the future, like aiding women to get abortion care and how some propositions have been made where someone can sue that person... or even what this means for birth control, for accessibility. Not to mention the stigma surrounding abortion and trying to figure out if you can trust people to help you, since reproductive care, at least in my corner of the world, is still not widely talked about or carries around a religious shame with it.

This also goes into what other rights will be taken away. If marginalized communities will be more affected, if LGBTQ+ rights and same-sex marriage will be upheld, if a person's right to privacy and right to choose will be altered, etc. I was reading an article on The New Yorker about not demanding reproductive RIGHTS but reproductive JUSTICE. I think that's an important distinction. There's so much to mention when discussing this. One point is obvious, no one should dictate what someone else should do with their body. Bans off our bodies. And other points, like talking about how many pregnancies ARE dangerous to women, and how naive it is to spread the narrative that abortion is an "ugly word" or something that should only be done in extreme circumstances. It's one thing if people believe what they personally believe and act accordingly on what they want to do for themselves, but once you strip that safety away from women and other people who need care, once you make it seem harmful or intimidate and guilt someone, it makes it much harder and more confusing to access care. One could even talk about poverty and crime rates when there are forced pregnancies. And the reality that this affects us all in some way, even if none of us have ever needed an abortion or knew someone who did. I wonder about transmasculine and non-binary people, who also may need the same medical care as cisgender people, or specific care that will be overlooked (especially given trans healthcare in generally lately). There are many people who this will affect, not to mention the strain this will put on providers who may be doing their absolute best to offer people with affordable healthcare and safe options.

In spite of the news, I've seen tons of people band together online (and already in protests that will likely grow in size this weekend). I think it's a great time to let others know they are not alone, and there will always be advocates. Protest however you can. I know people criticize, and sometimes I'm skeptical in times where I'm very disheartened, of peaceful protests... when it seems like they may never work. But each and every voice matters, even if that's a cliche thing to say. Donate if you can. Get loud. Get angry. Polls show that over half of Americans never wanted Roe v. Wade overturned and I honestly believe it. A majority of us don't want restrictive measures and for women (and everyone affected) to be fearful of where they can go and how their health and future will be changed.

If anyone has any specific resources to share, that would be awesome!

• Everlasting
    1 year ago

It happened. I’m just thinking of the implications that this can have. Uhmmm…

I,

have no words. So, I guess…

there could still be a way around it? But not sure how. I mean, there’s always a way… one door closes, another one opens? All doors seem close, but oh there! look there’s a hole… one has to look for it really hard in the darkness sometimes…

• Hellon
    1 year ago

What I don't understand is why the government seems so hell bent on protecting the life of an unborn fetus and yet still refuses to change the gun laws that could have prevented the deaths of so many young, living, breathing children.

• ddavidd
    1 year ago

Hellon is master of illustrating the irony. Actuly it was perfect. Here the irony of hypocrisy was laid out vividly.
    Nice thread!!

• Larry Chamberlin
    1 year ago

The saying is that Republicans are vitally concerned about human life until birth. After that . . .

• Anthony replied to Poet on the Piano
    1 year ago

I’m sure we’ll see something along these lines in our lifetime:

Abortion may not be legal but donating fertilized eggs to someone who can’t get pregnant isn’t. As technology improves I foresee embryos being harvested from mothers who want an abortion and implanted in women who want children or frozen until such a time arise. Birth certificates may even have conception dates on them in the case of a frozen embryo. Not the answer either side is looking for but one possibility I think may happen.

• Anthony replied to Hellon
    1 year ago

Hey Hellon, I see where you’re coming from and I can agree to an extent. But the second amendment exists to protect the people FROM the government. For example in 1983 the us government secured 285,000 acres in Colorado called pinion canyon through eminent domain. The army rolled through, occupied the land, the ranchers were paid and evicted.

Similar attempts have been made in other states and armed civilians stood their ground, defending their homes.

Law abiding citizens have a right to defend themselves and their families. Period. Criminals will always find a way to harm people, either by obtaining weapons illegally or building ones themselves.

The law never stated that women had a right to an abortion. It stated that no one had the right to tell them they couldn’t get on. The federal law was overturned and it was left up to the states.

The state laws are voted on by state residents, and reviewed by elected state officials. The residents of California are very different from Texas, and Texas from Illinois, and Illinois from Florida. It makes sense. Let the people decide what they want. If you don’t like the laws where you live you have the option to leave.

• Rayven replied to Anthony
    1 year ago

What an asinine answer.

• Poet on the Piano
    1 year ago

I don't know, it's strange to see some replies and many pro-life people online in general who believe they are fighting for a just cause, not realizing they are alienating a lot of people. I'm sure I've mentioned it before that I used to be VERY involved in the pro-life movement until I actually went to protests and talked to people who had abortions. Suddenly, it wasn't this scary thing, it was seen as healthcare, and I actually started to understand the way I'd been hiding behind my religion (and hurting others) and not listening to anyone outside of my "circle". Now, as someone who lives in a state that is the first state to pass abortion bans since the legislation, it almost doesn't feel real. There is so much fear already, and whether or not you believe abortion is healthcare or it's a human right, there are MANY women and non-binary people who are scared of what this could mean in the future. There are already so many misconceptions about abortion that I outright believed until I did research on my own and talked to others. The idea that someone could face criminal charges, or have to defend their reasons for wanting an abortion, is outrageous. Bodily autonomy is such a crucial thing. And I really fear for the impact this will have on people wanting to have accessibility to resources that will inform them of ALL of their choices without some of kind of religious or biased opinions.

• Milly Hayward replied to Poet on the Piano
    1 year ago

I feel very strongly that everyone should have control of their own body and what happens to it. I know that there are many reasons why a woman might decide she doesn't want a baby it's her body, her nutrients, and the toll is on her body so her choice.. It seems totally ridiculous to me when it has been scientifically proven that this planet cannot cope with the current production rate of the human species; that people are trying to force even more children into the world. We should be trying to reduce the number of children born not enforce more. It seems too many people are too interested in forcing their opinions on others without seeing the bigger picture.

• Anthony replied to Rayven
    1 year ago

And that’s my problem with the world today, and unfortunately this site hasn’t been spared. It used to be a great place, hell, this site saved my life back in 2007 when I made my first account. I even had some great debates, fun and respectful conversations, on these very boards. I posted an opinion, and not for the first time get attacked for it. The platform has been dying for a long time, and people like you are killing it.

To all those who’ve inspired me and taught me about different forms, or encouraged me to break from form, thank you. I truly will miss those conversations and collaborations.

I won’t be back this time

• BOB GALLO replied to Anthony
    1 year ago, updated 1 year ago

O, Come on Anthony, why do you take it so hard? You are a soldier, one would think you must be much tougher than this, my friend. Rayven is struggling with emotional problems for years. Even he himself do not take himself seriously all the time. Here no mod or member objected to his rudeness because everyone knows he has these occasional emotional outbursts and there is no need to teach him manners of argument, or democracy for God sake, when he can not keep it together sometimes. But he is nice member and people like him .
    So Please Anthony my friend, be a man and stand up to your self important and return. You will earn my respect and some others as well for sure.

• Rab
    1 year ago

Help ma boab !!!!!! the wurld hiz gone mad......

• BOB GALLO replied to Rab
    1 year ago

What a sweet dialect raob!!!!!!