i just dont understand

• kami
    19 years ago

i want to be a poet i love writing down experiences and it helps me get my feelings out but i come on here you guys write beautiful poetry and you even talk regualry but it sounds like poetry...i want to be like that maybe i wasnt meant to be a poet....any advice?

• Steven
    19 years ago

hey! don't think you were not ment for poet and stuff... writing a poem? u need to have heart or love.. and choose the right poems u want to write about me? well i write lost love poems and each of my poems are how i fell and how i'll forever feel... just try to write a poem that makes a person cry or when they read it they like it... put ur heart and feelings in it.. and it will come out good...

• SweetDreamer
    19 years ago

just because you might not think that you *sound* like a poet, doesn't mean you aren't one. As long as you write what you feel, and let the emotions flow, you're a poet, and you should know it! lol

• StarvingForPerfection
    16 years ago

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone writes different, but it doesn't mean that their poems are better than yours.

• Gary Jurechka
    16 years ago

Greetings,
    Not sure if this will help, but I had posted a topic entitled NOTES ON WRITING POETRY(there are so many topics on the subjects included-individual topics posted elsewhere, but I believe this is the most broad and inclusive) it's quite lengthy but it covers a variety of topics and has valuable input from many P&Q members. It is not meant to tell you how to write, but to be a place of reference/help/advice to others-a place where many of the questions put forth repeatedly in these forumns is addressed, mainly to offer suggestions on writer's block (tips/exercises on things to break it. Inspiration, ideas, etc.), exercises to spur creativity (whether form, style, type of poem, content, etc.-just some stuff to try when blocked or to try something different), various poetic terms/definitions, a variety of basic stuff and technical stuff, submissions and poetry markets (where/how to submit your work) and perhaps some stuff to improve/expand your writing/poetry and understanding. Unfortunately the thread was locked due to it's length, but it still can be read/accessed under the WRITING POETRY forumn entitled NOTES ON WRITING POETRY or at

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=56674.

I had received many favorable messages/comments on this thread and many requests to start a new thread as a continuation on the things/idea of the NOTES ON WRITING POETRY topic (check out the original Notes On Writing Poetry (at the link given above) for an idea of what type of things others and I posted), so I did respond and start a continuation of that thread.
    The new thread is called NOTES ON WRITING POETRY-Part II and can be found in the WRITING POETRY forumn and is at

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/discussion/topic.html?topic_id=86274

I am asking all members contribute and post things that could benefit others. Including such things as advice on certain forms, articles, tips on breaking writer's block, recommended reading,the links to sites that contain information, exercises, poetry terms, forms and their defintions, etc. basically anything pertaining to poetry writing. Also your personal writing habits (I've found people like to read about not only advice/suggestions but also the personal writing/working habits of different writers), like what time of day you write, do you have a favorite place (inside or outside, even more specific), do you listen to music while you write,when you first started writing, do you write rough drafts on the computer or with pen and paper, do you revise rough drafts or leave it as is, have you been published, what your influences are (other poets, writers, songwriters,teachers, etc.), is solitude necesary to you or not, what compels you to write, emotions, passion, to get an idea or meaning across, do you write for yourself or with someone in mind, how and when you started writing, writing as therapy or release, do you have a preferred form /style(sonnets, rhyme, free verse, haiku, etc.) and why, writing exercises, any other advice(personal or technical),if you could write any advice, as to why and how you write,when you started writing, what compels you, any specific methods and motivations, any personal methods, moods, habits and philosophies, advice to others,and other things I mentioned, and MAINLY what poetry means to you. Any advice to newcomers and established poets alike. I hope to hear/see postings from those popular and more experienced/knowledgable on the site as well as those newer members who have something to add. I welcome and appreciate any comments along these lines from any and all P&Q members-everyone has something to say. So if anyone can add anything at all along these lines, please do so.I hope to see a wide variety of age, countries, opinions, styles and opinions. Don't be shy. I feel any input/comments/advice/opinions would very much benefit others.

So hopefully there is something here for everyone. Worth reading through(I hope).
    Even if you don't care to add to it, it is still worthwhile to read for all the information/advice/exercises/tips it has. I'm sure, given all the information plus the comments/contributions of esteemed P&Q members, that this thread has something to offer everyone, whether it is a specific question or just gaining knowledge. At least that is it's purpose. Though as I said, it is quite lengthy, but well worth sifting through.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you for your time and support.

Peace, Poetry & Power,

Gary Jurechka

• Corinne
    16 years ago

Write all that you can, and don't compare yourself to others, because that will stop you from writing. And read read read - everything.

• Veamm
    16 years ago

Don't think about that, just write what you know and what you can thats all..

• Grey Ajurahck
    16 years ago

Just write. Write all that you can. Try different styles and forms, experiment, have fun, write from the heart. My first poems were incredibly terrible but they improved as time passed. Don't give up. Read poetry- both amateurs and the well known poets. Read the dictionary(or flip through it) you'd be surprised, sometimes a word can trigger a poem. Mainly just write. And revise/edit-rarely is a first draft perfect, a first draft can always be improved but give it time, approach it from a different perspective. Hang in there and your writing will grow with you.

Peace,

Grey Ajurahck

• Rachel
    16 years ago

Hey, I know what you mean, sometimes I feel like that too. I think all you can really do is keep practicing and put your whole heart into all the work that you do, and always take yourself seriously, never think lowly of your poetry. If you want to be a poet then you can, even if you're not feeling like everyone else on this website, I'm sure they've just had ALOT more practice than you :)

• poetic Justice
    16 years ago

KEEP ON WRTTING

• Helen
    16 years ago

I have to say i prefure sad poetry because i find it has more soul to it, I think the key to any poetry, is to be able to word it in such a way it takes your breath away, kind of keeps you on your toes till the last verse, i know im probly writing like i want to write an adventure book... :P But i feel that poetry needs that emotion there to reel you in, and i feel that once you have achieved that it will make you just want to read it over and over again.

• NearlyCrazy6
    16 years ago

Sometimes i feel like that b/c others write very beautifully but i've come to terms and i know that i'm just as good as the rest of them. If you express yourself and you love it, then it's beautiful. Poetry is about expression...so if you feel like you can't write poetry, you start to write like you feel. and that's not good. Hope i helped <33

*~NearlyCrazy6~*

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

Everyone writes different.. if we all wrote the same the world would be boring.. lol
    xx

• The Angel of Secrets
    16 years ago

Ey, being a different poet than "everybody else" is quite the gift. It gives you unique and special pieces of poetry. =)

• Lucy
    16 years ago

The best thing about being a poet is...its not like being a singer, cuase if your not born with that you basically cant....but a poet, just spill it out...

• VanityIllusions2
    16 years ago

If you enjoy writing poetry and you like what you write then your a poet.
    song writers call themselves song writers even when no body would listen to there songs.

i don't sound like a poet but i enjoy poetry so i consider myself a poet.

• Dark Secrets
    16 years ago

^^ I agree and hey.. you've got nice poetry I read some... If you're so insecure show it to some people you know that understand you. I thought that I wasn't that good at first too, but I showed my friend my work and some of my teachers and now my teacher actually gave me a journal to write my poems in... try it and never think less of yourself

• Jodie Phillips
    16 years ago

Everyone expresses their feelings in different ways, some people are really deep like myself, others not so. I get my boyfriend to read mine but he can't relate to them but i read them and it makes every bit of sense. You just gotta write what you feel.

• Krathia
    16 years ago

Just keep on writing. Rythm and flow will come later. For now, concentrate on your feeling, try to get them down on paper. Be creative, take two completely different things and try to see what they have in common. Try to find a really wacky metaphor. Imagine how the world would look if the sky were hot pink. Exercise your mind, and write down every single bit.

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

I was told my whole life to do what i enjoy so just keep trying you will eventually come up with something

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I believe that everyone writes good poetry, you just have to ask yourself what you want yours to be like and what you expect from yourself. the more you write the mroe ideas and tips you will learn xxxxxxxxx

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

Just keep trying

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

Dont give up because if you keep trying something great is sure to come out of it

• homebound
    16 years ago

Honestly anyone can write, however it takes time fluidity and crafting to actually become a poet. After a while it will feel natural and your poems will be outstanding. Plus, sometimes you may think your poem isnt as good as others, yet it actually is.

• PMurphy
    15 years ago

As long as you do this

Grab your reader
    Drive your reader
    Teach your reader
    Leave your reader

You will get a 5/5 from me ^^

• Kaitlyn Gilbertson
    15 years ago

Heyy, i didnt think i was good. And then after a bit i realized i was good in my own way, Everyone has their own style. JUst keep putting things together how think they should go, and eventually everything will work out into something that means something to you. See, everyone has a different way of everything, like, poetry that they write, poetry that they like, songs they like, etc. We're meant to be different! So go be yourself.! lol.

----------Kaitlyn.
    I dont think that helped but i had to say something....i had the initiative to do something...im proud of myself. hahaha

• PMurphy
    15 years ago

I can help you!

I have MSN, YIM, and AIM

Just message me and i will try to help you write and go through the process i do!

• Invited
    15 years ago

Its the passion about poetry not about us. Stay passionate and your love of poetry can be seen through others.

• Krathia
    15 years ago

Everybody's got their own voice, you just have to find yours.

• Blueleo
    15 years ago

I agree with all the posts. I'll add one thing, if you only want to talk about your experiences, use a journal. If you want to become a poet, write about everything. The key is practice. Always have a goal to improve a particular skill. For example, focus on using a meter for a while. Then focus on the different forms and styles of poetry. Try to write a different type of poem every time. It might not seem easy at first, but practice makes perfect. Talent alone is never enough.